As Of Now We're Not Analytical

I kind of agree with what Lionel Hollins is quoted as saying in the Brooklyn Nets write up. Every team uses stats and it seems like an easy fix for the teams that are less analytical than others to catch up. However, if our leadership does not believe in analytics, as seems the case with PJ, then it seems like that's another way of saying 'we're not interested in exhausting all possible ways to evaluate and improve our team'

Kiyaman

Legend
Wow Knicks are listed under "Nonbelievers"

As the analytics movement picks up steam, Knicks president Phil Jackson remains a conscientious objector. In a recent interview in the New York Times, he questioned the staying power of statistics-based offensive trends emphasizing spacing and 3-point shooting. "I think it's still debatable about how basketball is going to be played, what's going to win out," the Zen Master said in defense of the triangle offense, which encourages the more traditional type of play Jackson admires.

With their lavish budget, the Knicks have proved willing to spend over the years, including nominal investments in analytics. The Knicks subscribed to SportVU before it went league-wide, have utilized Catapult technology and employ a director of analytics, Mike Smith, with an assistant. Smith's background is in video rather than statistical analysis, however, and our sources cast doubt on how interested the team's decision-makers really are. Director of player personnel Mark Warkentien, who hired analytics pioneer Dean Oliver when he was with the Denver Nuggets, is a believer, but Jackson calls the shots and coach Derek Fisher is running Jackson's offense.

In Jackson's first season in charge, New York has been an embarrassing flop, in part because the Knicks have completely reversed their style of play from two seasons ago. The 2012-13 Knicks won 54 games and set an NBA record for 3-point attempts and makes. This season's Knicks lead the NBA with the highest percentage of shots from midrange, giving New York the league's least efficient shot distribution

So far there isn't anything logical about Phil Jackson (Zen Master) decision-making as Knicks president

Kiyaman

Legend
I kind of agree with what Lionel Hollins is quoted as saying in the Brooklyn Nets write up. Every team uses stats and it seems like an easy fix for the teams that are less analytical than others to catch up. However, if our leadership does not believe in analytics, as seems the case with PJ, then it seems like that's another way of saying 'we're not interested in exhausting all possible ways to evaluate and improve our team'

Lionel Hollins said a mouthful about all the successful teams movement from the offseason to trading-deadline.
The majority of the teams made some nice analytical moves from stats, and leadership stats.
Example: Detroit Pistons coach Stan Van Gundy did a 360 change of the Piston players confidence which improve the teams stats dramatically.

The guy the Knicks got as president is an IMPOSTER (his real name is James Dolan)!!!!!!!

tiger0330

Legend
PJ not believing in analytics doesn't surprise me because he stubbornly believes in the triangle. Only way PJ wins with that triangle is if he assembles the best defensive team in the NBA in the next couple of years. He's not off to a good start with Melo and Calderon to lead an all NBA defensive team.

As a bball fan I hate watching the triangle. I enjoyed watching the Hawks/Warriors game a couple of weeks ago, prototypical modern NBA offense, the article referred to them as San Antonio East. Hawks made 15/27 3s, 37 points in the paint and 32 FTs with only 10 points from mid-range with plenty of ball movement by the Hawks.