Game Thread - New York Knicks vs San Antonio Spurs - March 17, 2015

I'm away in DC for a month starting this week, so the best I can do is listen to games on satellite radio. Not going to lie, the only thing worse than watching a team doing a tank job is listening to a team doing a tank job. My guess is we can hang with the Spurs for a while, but not sure if we have any real plans of trying to win this one.

Broadway

All Star
I'm away in DC for a month starting this week, so the best I can do is listen to games on satellite radio. Not going to lie, the only thing worse than watching a team doing a tank job is listening to a team doing a tank job. My guess is we can hang with the Spurs for a while, but not sure if we have any real plans of trying to win this one.

You're not missing anything. I'm watching online but am more entertained by HGTV show FixerUpper. This game is boring as has been 90% of our games this season. Spurs are starting to show their muscle and chip pedigree 40-29 early 2nd qrt.

tiger0330

Legend
Appreciate the effort with the game thread. I'm sure you have better things to do down in DC. Only thing left in this season is to see if the Knicks don't get the 22 wins they need to avoid the worst season in team history and to see who the Knicks may keep from this roster for next season. Shved is in the mix but what do the Knicks offer him? I think you have to start at 3M about what he's making now.

Broadway

All Star
Knicks made a game of this. Galloway-Shved-Bargs the new Big Three. Can't stop them, you can only hope to contain them.

tiger0330

Legend
I fell asleep watching the game and when I woke up, I see Amundson making a tip in to tie the game sending it to OT.

tiger0330

Legend
Shaved is a 36% career shooter which has contributed to his being a disappointment. You see that same inconsistency with the Knicks, missing FTs and with his outside shot. It will be a difficult decision resigning him.

Broadway

All Star
Shved came up big tonight.

The cap space issue becomes more polarizing because Phil is likely to use a decent chunk of it players on current roster. Kind of bizarre to say the least

tiger0330

Legend
Ball don't lie. TD missing the game tying FT. Knicks have the lead with 8 secs left.

Knicks win, Spurs were hot coming in but got cooled off tonight by the boys. Gritty win by them.

Broadway

All Star
Shaved is a 36% career shooter which has contributed to his being a disappointment. You see that same inconsistency with the Knicks, missing FTs and with his outside shot. It will be a difficult decision resigning him.

He'd be a somewhat decent add if Phil hadn't signed Melo to his awful deal. Just doesn't make sense to create cap space and have to use it on Shved. Options are limited though

CoolClyde

one of the best games of the year, next to Knicks beating Cavs opening week. great play by all the Knicks, Shved truly looking like a keeper, and better than Calderone looked all season (and cheaper). if Phil can move Calderone's contract, i would pay Shved to remain a Knick. he's been consistent and gotten better as he's gotten minutes. love the guy!

Galloway with some clutch shooting that brought Knicks from the brink of being blown out, the kid played almost the whole game.

Lou with a great game and some excellent hustle play, 12 and 17 (8 offensive boards!) and 2 blocks shots. just kicking buttocks on Duncan!

a somewhat decent game from Lance and Jason Smith, who have basically sucked a$$ the past couple weeks.

Bargnani making shots, and making the knick fanbase scratch their heads in a "what if" pose.

just an excellent victory, as long as Knicks keep the tank rolling for ping pong balls, i'm happy to see sparks of a good team beating one of the best teams in the league, with nobody resting bullsh*t.

tiger0330

Legend
Winning games is pointless now but If DFish wants to win games you don't play THJ and Early. Play the guys that took it to one of the best teams in the NBA tonight, gritty win with guys hustling, diving on the floor for loose balls and playing hard. Loved the effort but its a little too late for anything but tanking.

CoolClyde

^agreed, but i can't help rooting for my home team to win. granted, if they lose, i don't give a flying f*ck (more draft balls), but the occasional win never hurts to keep team and fan morale up, and to ponder who PJ will choose to be keepers next year.

tiger0330

Legend
Bargnani making shots, and making the knick fanbase scratch their heads in a "what if" pose.
What if might become What is with Isola writing the Knicks may try to re-sign Bargnani. No surprise since he's been the Knicks best player since returning to the lineup. Before I would sign him I would get him to agree to a conditioning program with team trainers, he's got a tendency to let nagging injuries like calf and hammy strains to keep him out for months. He's got to become a dedicated pro instead of someone that has a rep for being disinterested.

mafra

Legend
What if might become What is with Isola writing the Knicks may try to re-sign Bargnani. No surprise since he's been the Knicks best player since returning to the lineup. Before I would sign him I would get him to agree to a conditioning program with team trainers, he's got a tendency to let nagging injuries like calf and hammy strains to keep him out for months. He's got to become a dedicated pro instead of someone that has a rep for being disinterested.

Like Phil said... the team cannot sign 8-10 players... BARGS owes NYK, so perhaps he signs a vet-min deal to remain in the triangle and is a rotation/bench player? Most likely, he plays well enough that some team is enticed and spends more on him than NYK is willing to risk.

Langston & Schved are a lock to be on team come SEP (2nd unit); I do think Bargs would be "lock" #3 as first big off bench if he agree to vet-min or 1-yr-make-good contract.

Then 2-3 from this bunch as back of rotation players: THhjr, Early, Greek freak 2, Frenchie, Larkin

Then 3 back-up bigs: Acy, Amundson / Thomas / Smith / Aldrich / Wear

7-8 players will round out roster (spots 8-15)

Carmelo, Okafor/Towns, Langston, Schved, Bargnani, Almundson, Thomas is the beginning of 2015-2016 squad. Let young guards and wings compete (probably THjr or Larkin, Early or Greek Freak 2, Smith or Acy, Aldrich or Ware).

This is 11 players MAX. IN free agency we need, and will sign THREE starters and 1 integral bench player, plus a roll he dice vet or two.

B-Knight
J-Butler
Carmelo
A-Jefferson
Okafor/Towns

Eric Gordon or Mo Williams, O-Asik

Something like this.

Broadway

All Star
Winning games is pointless now but If DFish wants to win games you don't play THJ and Early. Play the guys that took it to one of the best teams in the NBA tonight, gritty win with guys hustling, diving on the floor for loose balls and playing hard. Loved the effort but its a little too late for anything but tanking.

Rooting for this team to win now is betrayal against yourself in many ways. Half this roster won't be back so who are we really rooting for other than the individual players benefits?

Bargnani is a joke and always has been going back to after his first season being drafted by the Raptors. Raptors have never looked back since dealing him and stand to get a handsome reward for dumping him on us the summer after next. Wish we had waived him in February but unfortunately Phil and Dolan had to get some about face mileage out of him after pulling a near complete heist on us. Of course he has vested interest in playing now salivating for another chance to pull off a heist on his next team(better not be us or else I'll blow a gasket)

As far as rooting for a loss it's real simple for me. Just ask yourself this question

If yesterday's game was the last game of the season and it was the difference between us having the worst overall record for maximum chance at winning the lottery what would I be rooting for? A loss

Well we're mathematically eliminated from making the playoffs about a week ago so the above question formula doesn't change. If we win it's obviously out of our hands but I'll never root for wins when we're in this circumstance. It goes contrary to the overall well being of team going forward because I realize I'll be rooting for this team next season. I need best case scenarios to set the tone when that time comes. The draft is the most immediate greatest value we have going for us then free agency otherwise there's no dialogue or placing value in the draft if wins are desired at all cost.

There have been several teams who have lost loads of games throughout a season. We're not the first and won't be the last. Until the league stops rewarding teams for losing you root for losses when your team has lost at an alarming rate.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star

Absolutely out of the question, there's no scenario I would sign him back. None!

You do not enable or pacify near 10yrs of lack of passion and dedication for 30gms of desperation to stay in this league. Sam Mitchell on NBAtv flat out said Bargs has been coddled nearly his entire career.

Poof! Pow! Bam! Be Gone! & Good Riddance!

skisloper

Starter
Absolutely out of the question, there's no scenario I would sign him back. None!

You do not enable or pacify near 10yrs of lack of passion and dedication for 30gms of desperation to stay in this league. Sam Mitchell on NBAtv flat out said Bargs has been coddled nearly his entire career.

Poof! Pow! Bam! Be Gone! & Good Riddance!

Lets Hope that Jackson does not have an EGO that drives every move....Just like he signed Melo to 5 years thinking he can make him into the player he should be , Then safe to say Jackson will do the same for Bargani.....Lets pray that does not happen......