Walsh & Kidd on the Triangle & Free Agency

Red

TYPE-A
ESPN

Ian Begley, ESPN New York Writer

NEW YORK --*Carmelo Anthony*is well known as one of the top scorers in the NBA. But his detractors say he doesn?t do enough in the other facets of the game -- rebounding, defense, passing -- to be considered a top all-around player.

Ex-Knicks president Donnie Walsh thinks the triangle offense can change all of that.

?He can do everything.
But most teams look at him to score, so he scores,? Walsh said in an interview with Sirius XM?s Adam Schein. ?I think he can rebound. I think he can play defense when he wants to -- I?ve seen it. He can rebound. I think he can pass the ball. Pretty much, he can do any of the skills required to play in that offense. And I think that will bring that out in him.?

Carmelo Anthony has all the tools it takes to work well in the triangle offense, according to Donnie Walsh.*Brian Spurlock/USA TODAY Sports

Anthony?s first season in the triangle didn?t prove Walsh?s theory. He was hobbled by a knee injury for much of the season, but his shooting percentage and rebounds per game were down from the previous season. His defensive rating decreased as well.

It will be interesting to see how Anthony, 30, plays in his second year in Phil Jackson?s triangle offense. He will be coming off major knee surgery.

Some NBA personnel question whether the triangle fits today?s NBA. The offense produces a significant amount of midrange jump shots -- the type of shot top offenses try to avoid.

Walsh, however, is a fan of the triangle.

?I think it can bring the best out of teams but you have to have some patience with it so teams can get [the hang] of it,? Walsh said.

The Pacers executive left New York due in part to a difference in philosophy with owner James Dolan. But he said Dolan and Jackson can build a winner in New York. He has confidence that Jackson will bring in players in free agency, though Walsh cautioned that New York isn?t the big draw that some believe it to be.

?That?s one of the most misunderstood things in the NBA, to be honest with you, that you can talk a veteran NBA player into coming to a city just by sitting down with him, talking to him and offering him the most money,? Walsh said. ?These guys know what they want to do. They have their own agendas, and they know whether they want to go to New York or they don?t want to go to New York. And there are a lot that want to go to New York, so it isn?t like there aren?t people out there. ... I don?t think it?s really up to Phil Jackson to talk them into it."

Kidd says Melo can be magnet for FAs:The Knicks will have at least $25 million to spend in free agency this summer.Milwaukee Bucks*coach Jason Kidd, who played one season with Anthony in New York, believes Anthony can attract talent to the Knicks.

?Melo is a talented player; he's a great guy on and off the floor,? Kidd said. ?So I wouldn't see that there would be problems with guys coming in to play [with him]."

Kidd added of Carmelo: ?Playing with him as a teammate, he was a guy that showed up every night, wanted the ball late. So when you have guys like that it makes the game easier.?

Source: espn.com

Broadway

All Star
Walsh another.... "Keepin It Realer"

Walsh when translating is saying to Phil...

"I've done your job for decades including in the current city you're in and for the exact same team. I'm a New Yorker born-bred in Manhattan and knows the makeup of this city as much as anyone affiliated with the Knicks."

"Don't think you're gonna get the guys you really want(need) just because you're Phil, you can try but these free agents are gonna do themselves."

"I know this too because we once had approximately the same amount of cap space 5yrs ago and I had 4 guys lined up before I got one of the last big fish left. He wasn't the most desired, nor was he a player who desired us from the start. We were the last resort for each other."

Kidd is saying what you'd expect someone to say, who although now a coach knows what it means to have players come help you win. I don't think anyone feels Melo is a real deterrent. What Melo more than likely isn't is an attraction against other competition.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Two ex-Knicks that are still in debt to Dolan ..
Yes, both will have some kind optimistic words to say about the rebuilding Knicks.

We will see throughout the offseason .. if Melo give Phil a helping-hand at recruiting FA?
Melo did recruit JR. Smith from China.
We will also see next season .. if ISO-Melo give the Knicks team something other than scoring?
Will Melo play team-defense, rebound, pass, pick/screen/box-out for 30 minutes in every game?
Or will Melo just score & smile for Dolan

Kiyaman

Legend
Will 2nd season headcoach Jason Kidd have another .500 season?
The Mil-Bucks has 3 games remaining holding a 39-40 record

Red

TYPE-A
Walsh & Kidd don't owe us anything. The point is both veterans echoed the same thing I said; the same thing that you doubt. That the triangle is effective and a superstar like Melo and the Knicks for that matter are attractive due to making the game easier for potential FA's.

Not many if any team can offer that at this juncture. Not even the Eastern Conference leader Hawks.

Yeah, I agree that article is encouraging on the surface, but Walsh and Kidd are not going to talk trash about the Knicks, PJ, and Melo to the press at this point in their respective careers, regardless of their true feelings. It would serve no point for them to create new bad blood.

Speaking of free agency, bunch of Internet stories surfaced in the last day about how the Knicks getting Greg Monroe is an almost certainty given the parties involved. The most interesting part of the story to me is how it says the Knicks will be happy to give him a max deal. Max deal for a guy who averaged 16 and 10 on a bad team and doesn't play defense well? That is kind of disheartening for me. As has been said a million times on this forum over the last few months, the players we sign don't have to be superstars to make us better, but we have to be getting them at fair market value if we are going to progress at all as a franchise.

tiger0330

Legend
Who cares what Donnie Walsh says, he's probably still defending the Amare signing like Dolan still does and I don't think I've heard him say a critical thing about anyone, just isn't done when you might need to do a trade with the Knicks or when Dolan comes around again with 60M in hand to sign another GM like Walsh.

Kidd didn't say anything about the triangle and I wonder what his opinion of it is but he's not running it with the Bucks and neither is Steve Kerr who was PJ's triangle guru with GS. DFish is going to go through the same growing pains with the triangle with the team next year except in spades because they're going to be at least 7 new guys on the team. Face it and listen to the critics, it's an obsolete offense that's harder to implement than spread PnR.

tiger0330

Legend
Speaking of free agency, bunch of Internet stories surfaced in the last day about how the Knicks getting Greg Monroe is an almost certainty given the parties involved. The most interesting part of the story to me is how it says the Knicks will be happy to give him a max deal. Max deal for a guy who averaged 16 and 10 on a bad team and doesn't play defense well? That is kind of disheartening for me. As has been said a million times on this forum over the last few months, the players we sign don't have to be superstars to make us better, but we have to be getting them at fair market value if we are going to progress at all as a franchise.
Better get used to overpaying when your owner dishes out 60M to PJ and 25M to DFish. I'd say with the Knicks possibly not even being competitive for the next couple of years FA's are going to want max money more than ever to come here. If PJ signs Monroe to a max deal you have to lose all faith in him as a GM, he's not a bad player but he's not worth max money.

Red

TYPE-A
Greg Monroe is only 24yrs

A max contract to him would actually be saving against the projected cap with the increase in revenue.

tiger0330

Legend
Greg Monroe is only 24yrs

A max contract to him would actually be saving against the projected cap with the increase in revenue.
I'd rather see PJ offer a max deal to KLove or Dandre Jordan then Greg Monroe, not saying I want either of those guys on the Knicks but they deserve max deals more than Greg Monroe.

I did say in an old post that I thought the Knicks would go after Greg Monroe and he's gettable because I doubt any other team besides the Knicks is going to offer him a max contract. Sounds like nothing has changed with the Knicks if they give him a max 4 year deal with a player option.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Walsh & Kidd don't owe us anything. The point is both veterans echoed the same thing I said; the same thing that you doubt. That the triangle is effective and a superstar like Melo and the Knicks for that matter are attractive due to making the game easier for potential FA's.

Not many if any team can offer that at this juncture. Not even the Eastern Conference leader Hawks.

No Kidd is giving politically correct statements because he was once a star player who needed free agents to come play with him and help him win

From what I've been gathering among other social talk sites, most Knick fans do not take kindly to what Walsh had to say and he is a competitor at this point representing a team who wants to remain relevant.

The Hawks have something to offer that we can't...They can sell Free Agents WINNING and being the best in the East. You're getting hella desperate with each post and thread you start

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
I'd rather see PJ offer a max deal to KLove or Dandre Jordan then Greg Monroe, not saying I want either of those guys on the Knicks but they deserve max deals more than Greg Monroe.

I did say in an old post that I thought the Knicks would go after Greg Monroe and he's gettable because I doubt any other team besides the Knicks is going to offer him a max contract. Sounds like nothing has changed with the Knicks if they give him a max 4 year deal with a player option.

That's a crappy player to target probably a worse fit than Amar'e . $18mil/yr salary to a player of Monroe's ilk is putrid but those are the few options we have.

tiger0330

Legend
That's a crappy player to target probably a worse fit than Amar'e . $18mil/yr salary to a player of Monroe's ilk is putrid but those are the few options we have.
Draft Towns, sign Monroe to team up with Melo and the Knicks would have a decent front court but Monroe would eat up $18M of your cap space and I think you calculated that the Knicks would have about $26M in cap space this off-season so that would leave the Knicks about $8M to bring in 7 new players if they sign Monroe to a max deal. No wonder PJ said he wasn't happy with the cap space situation.

Broadway

All Star
Draft Towns, sign Monroe to team up with Melo and the Knicks would have a decent front court but Monroe would eat up $18M of your cap space and I think you calculated that the Knicks would have about $26M in cap space this off-season so that would leave the Knicks about $8M to bring in 7 new players if they sign Monroe to a max deal. No wonder PJ said he wasn't happy with the cap space situation.

Which is why he should have sent Calderon packing with a 2018 1st for someone like Thaddeus Young and maybe a future 2nd. We're gonna be somewhere approximately around $25-29mil of cap depending on what he does with some Team Options, Cap Holds, and projected 2-3% increase in cap.

That frontcourt would get eatin alive on the perimeter and get attacked at the time by guards all game long. It would be a sloth of a front court

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
No Kidd is giving politically correct statements because he was once a star player who needed free agents to come play with him and help him win

From what I've been gathering among other social talk sites, most Knick fans do not take kindly to what Walsh had to say and he is a competitor at this point representing a team who wants to remain relevant.

The Hawks have something to offer that we can't...They can sell Free Agents WINNING and being the best in the East. You're getting hella desperate with each post and thread you start

I'm desperate but here you are mentioning what you read on some "Social talk sites" as some sort of anecdote.

Please save it. And save your he's being politically correct explanation.

2 people who happen to be veterans said something contrary to a knick-hater poster (you) and now you're emo and mad. I got news for you, no one here took you seriously anyway; we're use to your type. You're actually typical.

Like I said I dub thee Captain Obvious. You're obviously a hater. And the more you type the more you get exposed. Please keep it up.lol

Broadway

All Star
I'm desperate but here you are mentioning what you read on some "Social talk sites" as some sort of anecdote.

Please save it. And save your he's being politically correct explanation.

2 people who happen to be veterans said something contrary to a knick-hater poster (you) and now you're emo and mad. I got news for you, no one here took you seriously anyway; we're use to your type. You're actually typical.

Like I said I dub thee Captain Obvious. You're obviously a hater. And the more you type the more you get exposed. Please keep it up.lol

Kidd is a drunk clown, the same guy who said Melo was like Dirk. Then bounced from him leaving $6mil on the table to go work for the competition<--------Melol

I'll take what Billups had to say about Melo over Kidd but you go ahead and run with what Kidd said. Walsh said nothing contrary, although he double talked slightly

A Homeristic Optimist always reaching for the attempt to peg an objective point of view(as hating and trolling), which can be unpopular at times as the framework from which to build a debate. There's nothing more typical than this

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A

Lol. Like I said.

Red

TYPE-A
Kidd is a drunk clown, the same guy who said Melo was like Dirk. Then bounced from him leaving $6mil on the table to go work for the competition<--------Melol

I'll take what Billups had to say about Melo over Kidd but you go ahead and run with what Kidd said. Walsh said nothing contrary, although he double talked slightly

A Homeristic Optimist always reaching for the attempt to peg an objective point of view(as hating and trolling), which can be unpopular at times as the framework from which to build a debate. There's nothing more typical than this

You've been exposed. You bring nothing to this forum but hate and discontent.

Thanks for the attention though. I feel special that you give me, a real fan, attention. Considering how dead this site was I'm wondering what a loser like you was doing here? I mean the true fans basically bounced which coincides with your arrival. Hummm.

What's wrong you couldn't find a Knick-hater site to join?

And here you are... reading my posts, trolling a Knick fan site, posting garbage. Awww I almost feel bad for you. Your emo passion obviously gets the best of you and it's evident in your posts.
I'm curious why you like embarrassing yourself so much? No one here would've known you were a loser if it wasn't for your posts on a dead forum. Are you okay? No friends? Got beat up? What gives?

Well lucky for you and this forum I'll keep pulling your skirt up and exposing you until you learn. Then soon enough my Knicks will be in contention which like the article I posted will further underscore how ridiculous you look.

Thanks again.

Broadway

All Star
You've been exposed. You bring nothing to this forum but hate and discontent.

Thanks for the attention though. I feel special that you give me, a real fan, attention. Considering how dead this site was I'm wondering what a loser like you was doing here? I mean the true fans basically bounced which coincides with your arrival. Hummm.

What's wrong you couldn't find a Knick-hater site to join?

And here you are... reading my posts, trolling a Knick fan site, posting garbage. Awww I almost feel bad for you. Your emo passion obviously gets the best of you and it's evident in your posts.
I'm curious why you like embarrassing yourself so much? No one here would've known you were a loser if it wasn't for your posts on a dead forum. Are you okay? No friends? Got beat up? What gives?

Well lucky for you and this forum I'll keep pulling your skirt up and exposing you until you learn. Then soon enough my Knicks will be in contention which like the article I posted will further underscore how ridiculous you look.

Thanks again.

Oh I see, now you've come full circle with self. We were all doing fine Tig, htr10, mafra, kiya, chief(not as much lately I believe because the team is so bad) talking about a variety of subject matter

What hit a nerve with you was calling Melody a BUM-SLUG. Just say off limits and we good