Knicks Summer League 2015

tiger0330

Legend
The Knicks will be playing in the Las Vegas Summer League in 5 games. The roster isn't set but guys expected to play are:

Labeyrie
Grant
Porzingis
Wear
Ledo
Antetokounmpo

Porzingis is the guy everyone wants to see but he may miss some or all of the games because of hip tightness. I also want to see this French kid Labeyrie. A decison on Ante may hinge on how he plays, if the Knicks don't sign him he may go to Europe instead of returning to the D-League.

DateGameTimeNetwork
Saturday, July 11Knicks vs. Spurs
4:30 PMMSG
Monday, July 13Knicks vs. Lakers8:30 PMMSG
Tuesday, July 14Knicks vs. 76ers
5:30 PMMSG
TBD----TBD
TBD----TBD

tiger0330

Legend
Kaminsky had a nice first game in Orlando. 19pts, 12rbs 4-8 from 3. Those are the kind of numbers I would expect from Zinger.

Broadway

All Star
Kaminsky had a nice first game in Orlando. 19pts, 12rbs 4-8 from 3. Those are the kind of numbers I would expect from Zinger.

He can shoot already it looks like, had another decent game today. Meanwhile Stanley Johnson is manly and is living up to Pistons promising to draft him if he was there.

Kaminsky is going to play better than Porzingis this year. Kaminsky is considerably older and much more polished. Kaminsky is the kind of guy we would have drafted if we wanted to get better this year. We drafted Porzingis because of his ceiling over the next decade.

tiger0330

Legend
I just want to see Zinger play, it's a bad start if after 3 weeks he can't recover from a hip strain after injuring it in of all things an NBA workout and not competition. Smacks of Bargnani being out for months with a calf strain.

He should put up good numbers coming from a pro league in Summer League, I'll be sadly disappointed if he doesn't.

jimkcchief88

All Star
And so it begins Zinger is hurt already what a "surprise" lol. Par for the course Zinger got hurt getting ready for the draft, but was that enough to scare Phil away.....of course not:( I bet Zinger doesn't play a lick in the summer league as a"precaution" of course. Phil is hiding this kid so we can't see how RaW he is. Typical um um um:(

Literally the worst case scenario is Porzingis already being too injured to play. He doesn't need to be an instant sensation, but he needs to be physically able to stay on the court. Last thing a franchise needs that just suffered through Stat, Bargnani, and Melo endless injuries is a 19-year-old who is already damaged goods. For what it's worth, Dolan's refusal to allow PJ replace the entire medical staff before last season continues to haunt us.

tiger0330

Legend
Literally the worst case scenario is Porzingis already being too injured to play. He doesn't need to be an instant sensation, but he needs to be physically able to stay on the court. Last thing a franchise needs that just suffered through Stat, Bargnani, and Melo endless injuries is a 19-year-old who is already damaged goods. For what it's worth, Dolan's refusal to allow PJ replace the entire medical staff before last season continues to haunt us.
I'm guessing he doesn't play with practice on Thursday and he's still undecided about playing. Major bummer, so far Kaminsky and Okafor are putting in nice performances. Missing summer league speaks to his body not being ready for the grind of an NBA season or banging down low with men. He's a project and probably a 7 ft finesse player which I can't stand.

Bunch of guys on that Summer League roster who I am interested in seeing, but nothing more important to me than seeing good old number 46 out there and healthy on Saturday.

Kiyaman

Legend
Kaminsky is going to play better than Porzingis this year. Kaminsky is considerably older and much more polished. Kaminsky is the kind of guy we would have drafted if we wanted to get better this year. We drafted Porzingis because of his ceiling over the next decade.

:agreed: 100%

I believe Kaminsky ceiling will be much higher than Zingis a decade from now .. if we were gonna pick a bigman out of the 2015 draft-class the NCAA had the top 4 NBA-ready bigmen-Centers ..
Two freshmen Okafor/Towns, a Junior WSC, and a senior Kaminsky.

tiger0330
Kaminsky had a nice first game in Orlando. 19pts, 12rbs 4-8 from 3.

If Hornets take Kaminsky out the rest of the summer games .. I understand

Should we expect Kaminsky stats from Porzingis first game in the summer league games???

tiger0330

Legend
:agreed: 100%

I believe Kaminsky ceiling will be much higher than Zingis a decade from now .. if we were gonna pick a bigman out of the 2015 draft-class the NCAA had the top 4 NBA-ready bigmen-Centers ..
Two freshmen Okafor/Towns, a Junior WSC, and a senior Kaminsky.

If Hornets take Kaminsky out the rest of the summer games .. I understand

Should we expect Kaminsky stats from Porzingis first game in the summer league games???
4th pick ahead of Kaminsky, Winslow and others that are having nice camps. I will be disappointed if he doesn't have a nice game unless they hold him out because of that hip.

Kiyaman

Legend
And so it begins Zinger is hurt already what a "surprise" lol. Par for the course Zinger got hurt getting ready for the draft, but was that enough to scare Phil away.....of course not:( I bet Zinger doesn't play a lick in the summer league as a"precaution" of course. Phil is hiding this kid so we can't see how RaW he is. Typical um um um:(

Selecting a player with the 4th pick that is not physically healthy to play in the summer-league games is SABORTAGE!
There's no way Sabortage-Phil Jackson made the Tim Hardaway Jr. trade for the 19th pick. No way!

Kiyaman

Legend
4th pick ahead of Kaminsky, Winslow and others that are having nice camps. I will be disappointed if he doesn't have a nice game unless they hold him out because of that hip.

The Knicks are not going to take a chance on letting Zingis get injured in the summer league games.
Three months ago, Zingis looked to thin and not strong enough for NBA ball.
The majority of players in the summer league game are playing-hard for a bread/butter contract.

Zingis may play one summer league game, and 28 rookie season games like our 2008 6th pick Galinari

tiger0330

Legend
He can shoot already it looks like, had another decent game today. Meanwhile Stanley Johnson is manly and is living up to Pistons promising to draft him if he was there.
Johnson having the best summer league of the top guys drafted, though Vegas hasn't started. I think SVG found a gem with this kid.

mafra

Legend
Porzingis: In the hallways of the Knicks’ Tarrytown practice facility, staff members are quietly saluting themselves for nabbing the draft’s most talented offensive player. The Knicks are listing Porzingis at 7-foot-3 — that’s what he measured at their training facility with shoes, impressing Jackson. In Europe, where players are measured without shoes, Porzingis was listed at 7-foot-1.
The fascination in Vegas will be how the super-skinny Porzingis defends, rebounds and adjusts to the more physical NBA style. Is he strong enough yet to grab position inside and score? He is expected to drain his share of 3-pointers — like he did with amazing frequency at his Vegas pre-draft workout.

Grant: According to a source, Miami president Pat Riley fell in love with the 22-year-old, 6-foot-5 guard, but couldn’t pass on Justise Winslow when he fell to 10.
“[Grant’s] a basketball player, that’s what he is,’’ one person close to Riley said. “Not an athlete but a basketball player.’’
That high basketball IQ as son of Harvey Grant and nephew of triangle stalwart Horace Grant made him appealing. Jackson said “DNA’’ and ability to play anywhere in the backcourt heightened his interest.

Cleanthony Early: The 2014 second-round pick got a guaranteed pact for 2015-16, but the Wichita State small forward adjusted slowly to the NBA and suffered through an injury-prone rookie season. The Knicks once thought of him as a steal of the draft at 34. Early has got to show major strides in his strength and offensive awareness.

Langston Galloway: After he was signed from the D-League in January, Fisher adored his toughness, moxie and clutch shot-making and has cemented a backup role next season. Undrafted, Galloway was a real find by Jackson’s top adviser, Clarence Gaines, and was second team All Rookie.

Thanasis Antetokounmpo: The Knicks’ 2014 second-round “stash’’ pick spent all season in Westchester and is still unsigned. He is a frenetic defender, but foul-prone and struggled with his jumper. If he has a good summer league, bet on the Knicks signing him to a small guarantee and asking him to compete for a roster spot in veterans camp.

Louis Labeyrie: Another 2014 stash pick, Labeyrie spent last season playing for Paris-Levallois in the French League. He’s an athletic 6-foot-10 power forward. As The Post reported, the Knicks paid $1.5 million to Indiana for the rights to the 57th pick. They feel he could be on the roster in 2016-17.

Ricky Ledo: Finished the season with the Knicks and showed lots of talent as a 6-foot-7 shooting guard. Jackson believes he can be shifted to small forward, too. Jackson gave him a $200,000 guarantee if he’s not cut by Aug. 1, so they are very interested in him for the 15-man roster.

Travis Wear: The 6-foot-10 forward was 15th man last season after going undrafted out of UCLA. He had his moments as a jump shooter in the triangle, but a back injury derailed his rookie year. Should get a camp invite.

Here’s the full roster:

F Thanasis Antetokounmpo, rookie, Westchester/D-League
G Jimmy Baron, rookie, Rhode Island
G T.J. Bray, rookie, Princeton
F Cleanthony Early, 2nd year, Knicks
C Ovidijus Galdikas, rookie, Asseco Gdynia/Poland
G Langston Galloway, 2nd year, Knicks
G Jerian Grant, rookie, Notre Dame
F/C Alex Kirk, 2nd year, Cavaliers
F/C Louis Labeyrie, rookie, Paris-Levallois/France
G Ricky Ledo, 3rd year, Knicks
F Maurice Ndour, rookie, Ohio
F/C Kristaps Porzingis, rookie, Seville/Spain
C Ben Strong, rookie, Westchester/D-League
F Travis Wear, 2nd year, Knicks

http://nypost.com/2015/07/07/knicks-summer-roster-revealed-with-hopeful-porzingis/

tiger0330

Legend
Porzingis: In the hallways of the Knicks’ Tarrytown practice facility, staff members are quietly saluting themselves for nabbing the draft’s most talented offensive player. The Knicks are listing Porzingis at 7-foot-3 — that’s what he measured at their training facility with shoes, impressing Jackson. In Europe, where players are measured without shoes, Porzingis was listed at 7-foot-1.
The fascination in Vegas will be how the super-skinny Porzingis defends, rebounds and adjusts to the more physical NBA style. Is he strong enough yet to grab position inside and score? He is expected to drain his share of 3-pointers — like he did with amazing frequency at his Vegas pre-draft workout.

Grant: According to a source, Miami president Pat Riley fell in love with the 22-year-old, 6-foot-5 guard, but couldn’t pass on Justise Winslow when he fell to 10.
“[Grant’s] a basketball player, that’s what he is,’’ one person close to Riley said. “Not an athlete but a basketball player.’’
That high basketball IQ as son of Harvey Grant and nephew of triangle stalwart Horace Grant made him appealing. Jackson said “DNA’’ and ability to play anywhere in the backcourt heightened his interest.

Cleanthony Early: The 2014 second-round pick got a guaranteed pact for 2015-16, but the Wichita State small forward adjusted slowly to the NBA and suffered through an injury-prone rookie season. The Knicks once thought of him as a steal of the draft at 34. Early has got to show major strides in his strength and offensive awareness.

Langston Galloway: After he was signed from the D-League in January, Fisher adored his toughness, moxie and clutch shot-making and has cemented a backup role next season. Undrafted, Galloway was a real find by Jackson’s top adviser, Clarence Gaines, and was second team All Rookie.

Thanasis Antetokounmpo: The Knicks’ 2014 second-round “stash’’ pick spent all season in Westchester and is still unsigned. He is a frenetic defender, but foul-prone and struggled with his jumper. If he has a good summer league, bet on the Knicks signing him to a small guarantee and asking him to compete for a roster spot in veterans camp.

Louis Labeyrie: Another 2014 stash pick, Labeyrie spent last season playing for Paris-Levallois in the French League. He’s an athletic 6-foot-10 power forward. As The Post reported, the Knicks paid $1.5 million to Indiana for the rights to the 57th pick. They feel he could be on the roster in 2016-17.

Ricky Ledo: Finished the season with the Knicks and showed lots of talent as a 6-foot-7 shooting guard. Jackson believes he can be shifted to small forward, too. Jackson gave him a $200,000 guarantee if he’s not cut by Aug. 1, so they are very interested in him for the 15-man roster.

Travis Wear: The 6-foot-10 forward was 15th man last season after going undrafted out of UCLA. He had his moments as a jump shooter in the triangle, but a back injury derailed his rookie year. Should get a camp invite.

Here’s the full roster:

F Thanasis Antetokounmpo, rookie, Westchester/D-League
G Jimmy Baron, rookie, Rhode Island
G T.J. Bray, rookie, Princeton
F Cleanthony Early, 2nd year, Knicks
C Ovidijus Galdikas, rookie, Asseco Gdynia/Poland
G Langston Galloway, 2nd year, Knicks
G Jerian Grant, rookie, Notre Dame
F/C Alex Kirk, 2nd year, Cavaliers
F/C Louis Labeyrie, rookie, Paris-Levallois/France
G Ricky Ledo, 3rd year, Knicks
F Maurice Ndour, rookie, Ohio
F/C Kristaps Porzingis, rookie, Seville/Spain
C Ben Strong, rookie, Westchester/D-League
F Travis Wear, 2nd year, Knicks

http://nypost.com/2015/07/07/knicks-summer-roster-revealed-with-hopeful-porzingis/
If Riley likes him that's saying something. He may be the Knicks starting PG if Calderon has a disappointing camp. Can't happen soon enough for me that he takes over for Calderon, I never saw Calderon do this.