Jimmer Fredette pours in 37 in unreal D-League Knicks debut

mafra

Legend
With boxer Floyd Mayweather watching from courtside, Jimmer Fredette delivered a knockout of a D-League debut in racking up 37 points and eight assists on Monday to lead the unbeaten Westchester Knicks to a 102-90 victory over Grand Rapids at the Westchester County Center.

Fredette, the former BYU superstar from Glens Falls, was 12 of 17 from the field and did a lot of damage snaking to the basket for pretty layups. Fredette was cut in training camp by San Antonio, drafted No. 2 overall by Westchester but left for three weeks to sign with New Orleans, which cut him Nov. 19.

The scoring point guard could be a fit for the NBA Knicks because of their perimeter-shooting woes as team president Phil Jackson has yet to fill his 15th roster spot.

Mayweather is a friend of Westchester guard Jordan Crawford and flew in from Las Vegas to watch Fredette and Cleanthony Early make his first appearance this season in the D-League. Rusty from being deactivated often, Early was assigned to Westchester to get playing time and he racked up 19 points with 13 rebounds, occasionally receiving quick passes from Fredette.

Knicks assistant Rasheed Hazzard watched the contest along with power forward Kyle O?Quinn.

?It was good [Fredette] was in New Orleans to see where he?s at,?? Westchester general manager Allan Houston told MSG Network. ?We?ll continue to push him to improve. He?s still 26 and still young.??

Westchester is 6-0.

(Marc Berman / NY Post)

tiger0330

Legend
I was actually thinking that if the Knicks had to call up the Jimmer the season would be over. And Money Mayweather was in the crowd to watch Jordan Crawford, he's an under the radar signing by the Knicks, the last team he played for on his Wiki page is a Chinese team on Nov. 19.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
I have to give Rady credit for his new KOL home page and the site in general. He's got the Jimmer story up and I even watched 10 mins of the game from the embedded video in the article.

Jimmer actually looks like a PG and better than Calderon the 1st 10 mins. Did his work under the basket with some nifty footwork to score his first couple of hoops. Nice dime also in the beginning of the game by him. Looked like there was that separation in talent level you would expect in an NBA player from a dleaguer with Jimmer. Looks like he was just OK shooting the rock from outside, getting most of his points inside and from the FT line. If he has a few more games like yesterday, he might get called up but he's got to hit the 3 better than he did yesterday.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
I'm happy for Jimmer and hope he can find a home. I don't take too much from his performance because there is a clear reason he's on like his 6th team in his still young NBA career. He'll need several more performances like this to have a legit chance.

tiger0330

Legend
I hope finestrg sees this thread and comments on Jordan Crawford. Crawford seems like the kind of player he's recommended in tha past ie CDR. JC could light up a scoreboard when he was on in his day.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
I hope finestrg sees this thread and comments on Jordan Crawford. Crawford seems like the kind of player he's recommended in tha past ie CDR. JC could light up a scoreboard when he was on in his day.

I feel like I recall him being in on the cheerios trash talking when he was a celt, not too sure Melo endorses this dude

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm happy for Jimmer and hope he can find a home. I don't take too much from his performance because there is a clear reason he's on like his 6th team in his still young NBA career. He'll need several more performances like this to have a legit chance.

Jimmer is a great perimeter shooter to have on a team, what he lack is having enough creative-moves to be a NBA PG, plus he has a problem staying in front of speedy guards as a defender.
A full season in the D.league will add more to Jimmer & Early talent.

tiger0330

Legend
Jimmer is a great perimeter shooter to have on a team, what he lack is having enough creative-moves to be a NBA PG, plus he has a problem staying in front of speedy guards as a defender.
A full season in the D.league will add more to Jimmer & Early talent.
Kiya - u should watch the video of the game. He's more creative than I remember him, I remember him as a small SG and not a PG. I'm not sure he gets those buckets down low in the NBA but he was a PG in his dleague game. Ironically he didn't shoot lights out from the perimeter, he was 2-5 from 3 and hit 12 FTs. He strings together 4 or 5 games like he had yesterday and I think he gets a callup ASAP.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
I feel like I recall him being in on the cheerios trash talking when he was a celt, not too sure Melo endorses this dude

i don't remember him playing for the celtics, i think he was still with the kings when the cheerios incident happened

tiger0330

Legend
i don't remember him playing for the celtics, i think he was still with the kings when the cheerios incident happened
Rady... He was talking about my mentioning Jordan Crawford not Jimmer who was with the Celts at the time. Turns out the DLeague Crawford is a guy named JordOn not JordAn Crawford who is a 5'6" PG.

Interesting he has as a friend Money Mayweather who flew in from Vegas to see him play.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Rady... He was talking about my mentioning Jordan Crawford not Jimmer who was with the Celts at the time. Turns out the DLeague Crawford is a guy named JordOn not JordAn Crawford who is a 5'6" PG.

Interesting he has as a friend Money Mayweather who flew in from Vegas to see him play.

Right and wow that is interesting I had assumed it was the vet, perhaps time for you to make some money as an investigative journalist!

tiger0330

Legend
Berman threw me a curve which I might not have noticed anyway by spelling Jordan with an A.

I searched the internet when I saw this article and didn't see anything about the Knicks signing the vet Jordan Crawford so that should have told me it wasn't him along with his Wiki page saying he signed with a CBA team Nov. 19.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
^^oops, my bad, didn't noticed the quote :)

Well in other news, Fredette with another huge game with 22 points, 9 assists, 7 rebounds and 5 steals (including 4 TOs)

tiger0330

Legend
^^oops, my bad, didn't noticed the quote :)

Well in other news, Fredette with another huge game with 22 points, 9 assists, 7 rebounds and 5 steals (including 4 TOs)
22 points isn't going to get it done. He went 8-18 from the field and 1-2 from 3, Jimmer isn't an unknown in the League nobody expects him to grow 5 inches and and develop a 36" vertical at 26, if he's going to make it he's got to become a lights out outside shooter to make up for his lack of speed, height and defense. Right now he's a good shooter but he's got to be great to carve out a niche in the league. There's a place for guys that hit at the rate Galloway is knocking them down and Jimmer is far away from that.

tiger0330

Legend
Steve Mills was at his 2nd game watching him and Hazzard was at his first game. He's on the radar for a callup, if the Knicks falter they probably ship Grant to the DLeague and bring up Jimmer.

Kiyaman

Legend
Tiger .. Young raw rookie Grant is very close to being the best 2 way guard on the roster.
PG D'Angelo Russell 2-way performance cant touch our PG Jerian Grant skills

It looks like Jimmer is trying out for a spot on our midseason roster

tiger0330

Legend
Kiya... Like I said it would take a poor record for the Jimmer to get called up and I'm assuming they would be looking to improve the roster and giving Grant more playing time by having them trade places on the roster. Grant needs to improve big time so some time in the DLeague would help.

Last edited: