And with the 6th pick in the draft...

mafra

Legend
The current 2-13 skid NYK is in the midst of has brought a grim reality to the forefront...

The New York Knicks are basically tied for the 6th worst record in the NBA... As we saw with LAK last year, if the ping pong balls bounce a certain way... The Knicks now have a slight chance of landing a top 3 pick.

Folks, we're a lottery team...

2 years ago, in the 2014 NBA draft... NYK surrender the 12th pick to DEN (who sent it to PHI) as part of the many assets they parted with to bring Melo to MSG. That pick was a Euro big (Saric)... It could've been Rodney Hood though or Zach Lavine.

So... Bc Grunfeld and CAA pushed to get that waste Bargnani here... We gave TOR our 2016 1st rounder... And even giving away a pick in the 9-15 range was painful... Geez... This could be Joakim Noah all over again.

Yeah... Remember the Bulls drafting Noah with the 9th pick in the 2007 draft... Courtesy of IT (eddy curry deal)...

A top 5 pick? Plus Rodney Hood. Ouch! We go 41-100 in almost 2 seasons... Bad the year before that too (missing playoffs by 1 game)... Instead of 2 young draft picks along with KP... We got bumkis! And get to face those 2 for years...

Forget playoffs... The mantra should be avoid handing TOR a top 10 pick (or DEN who has right to swap, no?)

Broadway

All Star
Good post Mafra as it continues to underscore how bad the Melo trade was, but really we're not playing to win wars with Denver through the media and the draft.

We should be playing to develop #kporzee these last 25gms and hope that somehow Grant works his way higher into the rotation. Denver could trade that pick away for or draft an Andrea Bargnani type talent in return, it doesn't matter at this point.

Often times it seems this franchise and it's fans try to win meaningless battles through perception and save face results that have nothing to do with the main principles of a winning culture.

Keep in mind every time a team lands high in the draft and selects said talent, if the talent has the goods although the team may continue to lose games it doesn't mean you end up with the same set of results in future drafts. As in landing at exact same draft slots having the opportunity to draft those future players looking back in hindsight.

Take for instance what if the Knicks drafted Jimmy Butler instead of Iman Shumpert do we feel we would have been as bad as we've been regardless of the picks Denver had in their hands?

mafra

Legend
I remember getting super excited bc K-Leonard somehow slipped in that draft... SA picked a spot or two ahead of us... Of course they grabbed him... I was pissed, but happy bc Kenneth Faired was still on the board. Suffice to say I was disappointed when we took Shump the chump.

Still, is KW an MVP candidate if he was "groomed" here?

I think of Jimmer... I understand he has flaws but supposedly he has at least 1 skill he really excels at (shooting). It reminds me of Redick and Danny Green. Both those players were "failures" early in their careers... JJ in ORL and DG in CLE. Then, those players find teams (coaches) that have talent and now how to use these guys (to maximize talent and mask flaws).

Before Jimmer even arrives the HC is dissing him in the media... The star player doesn't even know his name... Certainly not the way to build a prospect up. Then, you practice him hard and don't play him in games... Not exactly setting a kid up for success.

It means nothing really, if we get the 1st or 12th pick in draft. Could be boon or bust either way. I'm not wanting team to focus on this... It's just something to make this unwatchable garbage a little bit worth following... I would prefer not having to sit there on draft night knowing the 3rd pick in the draft could've been ours -- at least as a trade piece to help convince and OKC to sign off on a sign-&-trade for KD.

But... We move on. Which is why I can live with not trading away the 2018 pick. Who knows what we could've gotten for it. And, who knows direction we're going. Now, if we keep Melo and sign a top free agent... Then, I would look to trade that pick for another asset... But we shall see come July.

Being a bad team and not having a 1st round pick is just a soul sucking experience as a fan. Last year was grim even at the best of times, but we had fun discussing potential lottery selections and even the most stubborn of us (myself included) started to find some entertainment value in the 'battle' to tank to the bottom.

I hope this is the last season for a long time we don't have our 1st round pick, but I won't hold my breath.

tiger0330

Legend
Being a bad team and not having a 1st round pick is just a soul sucking experience as a fan. Last year was grim even at the best of times, but we had fun discussing potential lottery selections and even the most stubborn of us (myself included) started to find some entertainment value in the 'battle' to tank to the bottom.

I hope this is the last season for a long time we don't have our 1st round pick, but I won't hold my breath.
Part of being an NBA bball fan is discussions about the draft and last year despite the record at least gave you that.

This year the Knicks suck and not only don't they have a 1st round pick they don't have a 2nd round either. I still can't believe PJ could not make a deal to trade Calderon for at least a protected second pick.

mafra

Legend
NYK will be buying a pick. Will it be a first or a late second? But... I doubt we don't find a way to draft somebody.

At least we can hope our draft and stash Euro big might be coming here next year?

AFfalo has a player option (8 mil)... DW has one too (4.5 mil)... JC a 7.7 mil cap hit.

If AA and DW decline options and we trade JC... Frees up almost 20 million...

Hello KD and DeRozan, Conley, or Rondo.

But... We know that won't happen.

Tkf

Benchwarmer
The current 2-13 skid NYK is in the midst of has brought a grim reality to the forefront...

The New York Knicks are basically tied for the 6th worst record in the NBA... As we saw with LAK last year, if the ping pong balls bounce a certain way... The Knicks now have a slight chance of landing a top 3 pick.

Folks, we're a lottery team...

2 years ago, in the 2014 NBA draft... NYK surrender the 12th pick to DEN (who sent it to PHI) as part of the many assets they parted with to bring Melo to MSG. That pick was a Euro big (Saric)... It could've been Rodney Hood though or Zach Lavine.

So... Bc Grunfeld and CAA pushed to get that waste Bargnani here... We gave TOR our 2016 1st rounder... And even giving away a pick in the 9-15 range was painful... Geez... This could be Joakim Noah all over again.

Yeah... Remember the Bulls drafting Noah with the 9th pick in the 2007 draft... Courtesy of IT (eddy curry deal)...

A top 5 pick? Plus Rodney Hood. Ouch! We go 41-100 in almost 2 seasons... Bad the year before that too (missing playoffs by 1 game)... Instead of 2 young draft picks along with KP... We got bumkis! And get to face those 2 for years...

Forget playoffs... The mantra should be avoid handing TOR a top 10 pick (or DEN who has right to swap, no?)

can't worry about what other teams do with that pick, it is out of the knicks hands... most knicks fans cosigned the trade and said they would do it all over again some years ago.. I wonder how they feel now? just curious.. anyway knicks just need to work on slowly but methodically building this franchise. no more quick fixes... the trade is done, picks are gone...