The Return of Cleanthony Early

It sounds like Cleanthony Early is finally back after, in my mind, a surprisingly quick recovery from being shot in the knee last December 30th. He has been back practicing for a little while now and he played in the Westchester Knicks D-League game on Friday night. If nothing else, he looked healthy and had at least one nice drive to the basket.

This brings to question, is he going to be a part of this team next season? I think he only played a sum total of something like 35 minutes combined up until the point in the season where he got shot. Just like pretty much every young player associated with our franchise, outside of Porzingis and Galloway, Early does not seem likely to get the time he needs to develop on the court at the NBA level.

I'm assuming he'll likely play through another Summer League with us, but then does he sign with us for a new contract or is this season the end of a guy once called 'the steal' of the 2014 NBA draft and who was thought to hopefully be the one saving grace of that now dreadful looking Tyson Chandler trade.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Based on what he's done so far in the NBA I would say not. So that's Ante, Cle and Grant that haven't panned out so far for Phil. I'm going to go on record that the Knicks will not pick up Grants 3rd yr option Oct. 31 2017 officially making him a PJ draft bust.