Derrick Rose to the KNIcKs????

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
D rose get his MVP status from the very dangerous style of play which allows him to get to the rim at any time, but the same style is what is causing him to be fragile, unreliable and constantly injured.....
so you don't want a guard who plays few games and rest 2 months......

Knicks pursue Rose in free agency after his contract expires? Sure seems reasonable. Knicks trade for Rose in this final year of his contract? How? With what assets? To what end?

As previously said, whoever gets Derrick Rose next is tying their future to a star PG who has already started thinking about his post-playing days at age 27. You sign him to a max deal and you are looking at a potential even worse situation than what we had with Stat's contract.

tiger0330

Legend
rose will make 21m for the final year of his contract. so what equal value do the bulls take back from us???
With the cap going up we could absorb his contract in a trade without trading contracts that match his salary providing AA or DWill opt out or we stretch Calderon. Any of those moves would get us over 21M in cap space, trading for Rose for nothing would be no different than signing Conley for 21M cap wise. Cap space won't be the problem but I doubt the Bulls trade Rose for say Galloway and a future 1st rd. pick or for Calderon in a pure salary dump, from the Knicks perspective Rose would be a one yr rental which might not be a bad thing.

He'll make the Knicks backcourt better and he'll probably have a great year because he's playing for a contract but his injury history, poor 3 pt shooting, avg defense make me wary about signing him for the long term.

paris401

Starter
With the cap going up we could absorb his contract in a trade without trading contracts that match his salary providing AA or DWill opt out or we stretch Calderon. .

ahh..there is the kicker... never say never, but who in their rite mind is going to give a-swallow more $$$ or less $$$ for more years then the 8m he is due ??... this guy BLOWS.. (in caps tooo)... I still fear that last years team will be next years team (give or take 1-2 $hitty players)...

jimkcchief88

All Star
I've watched DRose change his game. He is not as "frenetic" a player, but he can still get to the rim with the best and is an underrated defender. And DRose is a city kid so the bright lights and media won't bother him. Chicago media has roasted thier own boy from Englewood like no other. A change of senery is due and NYC is the place. And I love the fact it seems Phil has finally seen the light. We need a real PG Phil.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I love Derrick Rose and want him on the Knicks. I get why injuries would make a lot of people weary, but man, he's Derrick Rose, and only 27.

tiger0330

Legend
Both DWill and AA opted out. Knicks have plenty of cap space if the Bulls want to do a salary dump and trade DRose, highly unlikely with only a yr remaining on his contract they would do that. They'll be looking for draft picks and players if they decide to trade him. I don't see any assets we have that they would be interested in other than Melo or KP for DRose.

mafra

Legend
The Bulls are sending Derrick Rose, Justin Holiday and a 2017 second-round pick for Robin Lopez, Jerian Grant and Jose Calderon.
Wow. The Bulls will be set for rebuilding mode and Rose gets a fresh start. He was one of the worst high-volume players in the NBA last year. Rose was relatively healthy last year, playing in 66 games and not missing more than three consecutive games. He likely won't have the ball in his hands as much with Carmelo Anthony around, so Rose likely won't be a big factor on the stat sheet. He's only a late-round flier in standard leagues.

mafra

Legend
Losing Grant and Lopez hurts... Future of JG for 1 year iof Rose... But now Jax has MSG & Manhattan along with Melo, Porzingis, Rose, Hornachek to sell to free agents, along with 20-35 million...

deRozan and Horford? Durant? Things could turn around quickly if the right moves are made. Eric Gordon and Gasol?

I like Melo & KP at 4-5 spots tho

mafra

Legend
The truth is Caldron making 8 mil was a killer... Dumping that one is terrific.

Lopez is a nice player but he's certainly replaceable. And moving him allows KP to play C.

Rose is still better than any G we've had in this team in years... Our G play was pathetic...

Now, using our best trade chip of Lopez and Grant might've been better spent... But maybe we offered them to ATL for Teague and were rebuffed?

Grant may turn out to be something. If so, this trade will blow up in our faces... But he could also just be another Shump type stinker.

Now, the cache of having Rose, to help lure free agents, that might be were his real value helps. And, he is still young enough to hope for a halfway decent season next year.

Not giving up a pick, getting a pick, upgrading at PG while allocating cap space in a better way... All make this trade worth taking.

Broadway

All Star
The truth is Caldron making 8 mil was a killer... Dumping that one is terrific.

Lopez is a nice player but he's certainly replaceable. And moving him allows KP to play C.

Rose is still better than any G we've had in this team in years... Our G play was pathetic...

Now, using our best trade chip of Lopez and Grant might've been better spent... But maybe we offered them to ATL for Teague and were rebuffed?

Grant may turn out to be something. If so, this trade will blow up in our faces... But he could also just be another Shump type stinker.

Now, the cache of having Rose, to help lure free agents, that might be were his real value helps. And, he is still young enough to hope for a halfway decent season next year.

Not giving up a pick, getting a pick, upgrading at PG while allocating cap space in a better way... All make this trade worth taking.

That's a reach if anything. What it suggest is the Bulls got tired of Rose's Shenanigans. Look at all of what they put in to build him up and they never attracted prime free agents. Boozer and Gasol were their best and they were long in the tooth. No one will rush to play with Rose/Melo/KP with only 1 ball. The time to trade Calderon was nearly 2yrs ago. His contract was of no major consequence now that we reached the cap spike.

Rose could also walk the following yr because he's Dwight Howard like in his value self assessment. This was an Isiah Thomas trade if I ever saw one.

tiger0330

Legend
The only thing good about the trade is the 2017 draft pick
We still have 30M in cap space and JC is gone finally. Rose will make the back court better and that was a major problem, I think he's going to have a great year since he's playing for a contract.

Now we're in the market for a big man, how is this for a lineup.

Dwight Howard
KP
Melo
Jaryd Bayless/Aaron Affalo/Evan Turner/JLin
DRose