Affalo & Williams both opt out

mafra

Legend
Arron Afflalo and Derrick Williams have both told the Knicks they will not opt in to their contracts for the 2016-17 season, according to Ian Begley of ESPN NY.

Afflalo was set to receive $8 million dollars this upcoming season from the Knicks, but will now be an unrestricted free agent.

Williams would have received $4.6 million dollars from the Knicks this season, but also will now be an unrestricted free agent.

The Knicks will now have more $30 million dollars in cap space this offseason.

Mike Scotto of Sheridan Hoops was the first to report Afflalo's opt out.

(Theknicksblog)

Yes! The offseason couldn't have begun on a more happier note!

tiger0330

Legend
No surprise to me. I think the Knicks will attempt to bring back DWill but AA I think is gone, PJ got what he wanted by signing them to short deals and that is a chance to reload this off-season with that 30M in cap space.

Kiyaman

Legend
WHAT! Afflalo opt out of a $8M contract? ur bull $hittin! ain't no NBA team going to give Afflalo half that amount for a 2 yr contract .. I wonder if we paid $$$ Afflalo to opt out?
I wouldn't mind having D.Williams back but D.Williams career as a PF is to inconsistent, we would have more success playing D.Will n Melo at the SF spot.
I hope this guy Hornacek isn't another High School small-ball coach keeping the league weak .. If the NBA played small-ball in the mid 80's and 90's Barkley would have had 3 championship rings

paris401

Starter
WHAT! Afflalo opt out of a $8M contract? ur bull $hittin! ain't no NBA team going to give Afflalo half that amount for a 2 yr contract .. s

my feelings exactly... i posted numerous times that no way this 'load' opt's out... shows ya what the fuk i know...

GordonGecko

Benchwarmer
$8M is very cheap under a $94M salary cap. Knicks have the money but just didn't want AA on the team

Phil played him well burying him on the bench and basically pushed him out