Durant signs with the Warriors

Broadway

All Star
I said this would be the team he jumps ship to although I thought he'd do the 1 and 1 with OKC. What it does appear he's doing is leaving the door open for a return to OKC, which is cool. A punk move but I ain't mad at him Lebron started this trash back in 2010. Now it's time to taste his own medicine.

mafra

Legend
Punk move indeed...

1) OKC had GSW against the ropes... The only reason why Thunder lost was bc Durant choked at home in Game 6... So, what does KD do? He runs away from a challenge.

2) 6 years ago, KD trashed LJ for running to MIA... Lol... Easy to trash another until you're forced to walk in their shoes.

3) yes. OKC nasty on offense. Might win 78 games. But, this move doesn't solve GSW's flaw... No interior game. Everything based on threes and perimeter shooting. Actually, GSW will get worse bc they now will deal Bogot. Come playoffs, when refs eat the whistle... GSW in trouble. No more Barnes and no Bogot.

4) These 2 year deals with a player option have to stop. Next CBA must get rid of these. Simple should be... If you sign such a deal, and opt out after first year... You cannot sign a max deal the next year. Do something bc these deals don't feel right to me.

5) I got no problem with KD. I think it's good for the sport. He may be a hypocritical wimp... But players have every right to go where they want to go.

Wow, just wow. Durant winning a championship in GS will literally be meaningless to his personal reputation in my eyes, but he clearly doesn't care about fan perception with this decision.

The OKC fanbase deserves better than this, but this is the nature of the NBA now. Likely they lose Westbrook next offseason now.

Boston clearly felt like they had a strong shot here, but who knows how close they really got. Not sure where they turn their attention to now as the addition of Horford alone will not be enough to get in the same tier as Cleveland.

mafra

Legend
GSW will probably sign Curry & KD to max deals... Will have 4 max players... It's unfortunate that the current financials facade betrayed OKC... Thunder were forced to dump Harden bc they couldn't afford to pay 3 max guys under old cap...

Harden, KD, Westbrook probably win it allast year.

Still, I think this move had more to do with environment (Oakland), style of play (unselfish), and relationships than it was just above chasing a title.
Sure... That helped... As did GSW losing in the Finals... But he probably knew Westbrook was leaving next year and he was probably preferred GSW style over selfish RW.

mafra

Legend
The question now is...
Would BOS make a bold move and trade the farm for Westbrook... Roll the dice they can keep him?

Jerry West makes a phone call and snags KD. Phil? Well... He's not the logo.

I think it's a little easier to make a call and snag a big fish when you are calling on behalf of a 73 win team with the league MVP who won a championship 2 seasons and got to game 7 in the finals this year. I think maybe I could have made that call and just made fart sounds at Durant for 10 minutes and still had a chance at getting him to sign with GS.

mafra

Legend
I know... It was in jest. Plus, Durant won't get trashed if they lose...
NY media too much for Lebron & Durant, who are afraid of being perceived as being "losers"...

Say what you want about the man... But Melo welcomed that challenge... Ave the weight of expectations placed on him, under the media spotlight, and do it by himself... He's a delusional fool... But totally different than his peers

tiger0330

Legend
GSW will probably sign Curry & KD to max deals... Will have 4 max players... It's unfortunate that the current financials facade betrayed OKC... Thunder were forced to dump Harden bc they couldn't afford to pay 3 max guys under old cap...

Still, I think this move had more to do with environment (Oakland), style of play (unselfish), and relationships than it was just above chasing a title.
Sure... That helped... As did GSW losing in the Finals... But he probably knew Westbrook was leaving next year and he was probably preferred GSW style over selfish RW.
Good points, OKC probably didn't help their cause by demonstrating that they think basketball is a business by firing Brooks, trading Ibaka, letting go of Harden and Jackson. Well they found out that 2 could play that game when KD made his decision today.

I do think winning a chip is the main reason KD did this and why he signed such a short 2 yr deal, 2nd year his option. Can't say he's wrong that joining the Warriors was his best chance to win a chip, joining a team that won 73 games w/o him and who people will undoubtedly ask the question is this the greatest team ever assembled.

mafra

Legend
Let's not even go there... They may be the greatest perimeter scoring team in NBA history but that's it. Kareem, Wilt, Walton, Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan would eat this team alive...

Those bigs would average 50 ppg....

Again, as we saw in the Finals, GSW cannot score in the paint not can they protect the rim.... They would have no answer for a HOF cover post, who would be fed the ball constantly.

pat

Starter
I don't see them being able to sign Westbrook next year without KD there.

Maybe that's the plan: They trade Westbrook away for something and once KD returns there will be a pointgruard with some basketball IQ around.

Broadway

All Star

Doubt it because Harden's game doesn't mesh well with Westbrook and KD(keep in mind he came off the bench a lot) and he doesn't play defense. The talent level isn't what wins it, it's the kind of talent you have and if they work well together. It most likely wouldn't have worked.

The economics worked against OKC somewhat but it's not like OKC didn't spend since letting go of Harden...really that's all they've done.

On the flip side if we weren't to blame Lebron for this the other culprit isn't the NBA economy it's the fact Curry didn't play like a Superstar not 1 game and the fact star players in general have this mentality to cape for each other teaming up together.

Broadway

All Star
I think it's a little easier to make a call and snag a big fish when you are calling on behalf of a 73 win team with the league MVP who won a championship 2 seasons and got to game 7 in the finals this year. I think maybe I could have made that call and just made fart sounds at Durant for 10 minutes and still had a chance at getting him to sign with GS.

Obviosuly West felt a call needed to be made because it appeared Durant was still waffling, so you can't blow it off as nothing. Also whatever he said had to be enough to convince him to jump ship because look at the backlash he's getting and he hasn't even played a game yet. Jerry West has a track record with Lakers and Memphis/Vancouver as player and executive. He's more than has the juice to influence. He was the reason Shaq and Kobe stayed together as long as they did.

pat

Starter
Again, as we saw in the Finals, GSW cannot score in the paint not can they protect the rim.... They would have no answer for a HOF cover post, who would be fed the ball constantly.

All I saw that the NBA wanted to make things a bit more interesting and underestimated the impact of their tinkering, especially after Bogut went down. Once the tides had turned and Cleveland was winning there was no incident which would have allowed the league to even things out. Hence they settled for accepting the "underdog/revenge" narrative and set up the battle for next year, which now will not only feature Curry, Klay, Kyrie and Lebron, but also KD.
I think they couldn't be happier with the outcome and this has very little to do with the Warriors interior defense (especially since Bogut was out).

mafra

Legend
Green was a fool for allowing himself to be baited by Lebron. DG should've been suspended the series before but the NBA desperately wanted a GSW-CLE rematch. As soon as DG responded to LJ's antics... NBA had to suspend him.

As NYK about Ewing or PHO about Amar'e... That's getting robbed in the playoffs (suspensions)... Green had it coming.

GSW is an average team when the 3s aren't falling. Without Bogut... They have no rim protection.... There's a reason why perimeter teams don't win in June, when refs allow physical play.

GSW fortunate bc there isn't a true great C to contend with... Still... Lebron and Thompson and Love will own the paint.

Obviosuly West felt a call needed to be made because it appeared Durant was still waffling, so you can't blow it off as nothing. Also whatever he said had to be enough to convince him to jump ship because look at the backlash he's getting and he hasn't even played a game yet. Jerry West has a track record with Lakers and Memphis/Vancouver as player and executive. He's more than has the juice to influence. He was the reason Shaq and Kobe stayed together as long as they did.

It's fine to speculate that whatever Jerry West said mattered, but it's also fair to say what he said didn't matter at all. The sports world is full of people taking credit for things that would have happened anyway.

tiger0330

Legend
Bogut just got traded to Dallas. Looks like a pure salary dump with Dallas dumping contracts to absorb him and nothing going back so far to GS.