Knicks re-sign Sasha Vujacic to one year minimum

Kiyaman

Legend
Resigning Sasha was a good move .. having veteran Sasha n Lance Thomas coming off the bench to help Jennings in the back-court was a good move.
I'm still going to be upset when the Chicago Bulls have a better winning record than us next season.

Here's the 13 players we have on the roster on July 13 ...
Starters
Derrick Rose, PG (Injury-prone/No-Defense)
Courtney Lee, SG (Aiiiite)
Carmelo Anthony, SF (Ball-Hogger/No-Defense)
Kristaps Porzingis, PF (I still say KP is not a starter or finisher, and shouldn't receive over 24 minute per night)
Joakim Noah, C (Super-Star .. when he feel like playing)

Bench
Brandon Jennings, PG (2nd-unit)
Justin Holiday, SG (13th man in rotation)
Sasha Vujacic, SG (2nd-unit)
Lance Thomas, SG/SF (2nd-unit)

Kyle O’Quinn, PF (Should be our starter PF)
Mindaugas Kuzminskas, PF (Rookie-status)
Willy Hernangomez, C (Rookie-status)
Marshall Plumlee, C (Rookie-status)

mafra

Legend
Some blogger mentioned how invuable Sasha is for Porzingis... The 2 are close... He's here bc he can fill in admirably as the 12-15th man in the roster... He can hit a 3... But, most importantly, he's a caddy for KP.

Word is we also plan on giving a hard look at that PG Chasson Randle...

With Ndour and the Lithuanian lord Humungus, and KP, and Willy H, with Lance Thomas, Parker and Plumlee... It looks like we have some nice, youthful pieces...

Rose and Holiday are only 27... Jennings still young...

Then you have Lee (30) and the two vets (Melo & Noah)...

If healthy, this could be a case where the sum is greater than its parts... We got a pleasant mix of players... That fit well together...

Lee, Holiday, Thomas, and Noah comiment Melo and KP bc of what they bring on offense.

Willy H, KOQ, and Plumlee can bang in the paint...

Holiday and Mindingus can shoot...

Rose can take scoring pressure off of Melo.

We have the prototypical instant offense 6th man in BJ.

tiger0330

Legend
Very optimistic about the team PJ and Mills have assembled. I'm not sure why they felt the need to rush and give Plumlee a guaranteed deal but I'm hopeful that kid Randle might turn out to be as good as Galloway.

Lot of new faces on the team similar to last year and I thought last years team would take some time to gel but last years team started fast and faded late. This year I think with deemphasis on the triangle the team has a better chance of gelling faster and improving as the season goes along. Tremendous upside with this squad, can't wait for training camp and those pre-season games to begin.

mafra

Legend
If I would venture to guess... PJ "had" to give the guarantee to Plumlee (bc other teams were interested)... Not having a first round pick this year, wanting young assets, and needing a backup big... All probably contributed to the thinking.

MP played in big games... A national champ... A banger who understands his role (and limitations), who has improved steadily while playing at a big time program.

Having to brothers in the League probably helps too.

Kiyaman

Legend
Very optimistic about the team PJ and Mills have assembled. I'm not sure why they felt the need to rush and give Plumlee a guaranteed deal but I'm hopeful that kid Randle might turn out to be as good as Galloway.

Lot of new faces on the team similar to last year and I thought last years team would take some time to gel but last years team started fast and faded late. This year I think with deemphasis on the triangle the team has a better chance of gelling faster and improving as the season goes along. Tremendous upside with this squad, can't wait for training camp and those pre-season games to begin.

At the begining of last season the Knicks new players in the 2nd unit bench of Grant/Gallo/Lance/D.Will/and O'Quinn came out meshing well as a winning lineup, while our starters looked like bums the first 14 games blaming all their errors on PG Calderon.
The 2nd unit bench players did well by receiving more playing time to gell into a nice chemistry unit each of the first 14 games because Afflalo was out with injury the first 10 games of the season, plus rookie KP / Calderon / Sasha were receiving less than 24 minute per game the first 14 games of the season (8-6 record).
The 15th game of the season coach Fisher made the drastic change in the rotation by giving Calderon & Afflalo 30+ minute a night, plus Fisher added Amundson and Seraphin to the rotation which gave Grant and O'Quinn less than 10 minute per night the next 10 games where we went on a 2-8 run (10-14 record).

We have veterans next season .....

Last edited:
Vujacic is a great guy at the end of the bench. He's the kind of guy who is on his feet cheering for his team when they are down by 20. He is a guy who shows up to play hard in practice every time. He is a guy who when given spot minutes can step up and make a couple plays. I hated Vujacic to start last season, but couldn't help but come around on him late in the year. Hopefully his contribution to this team is more in the chemistry category than in the minutes played category though.

tiger0330

Legend
If I would venture to guess... PJ "had" to give the guarantee to Plumlee (bc other teams were interested)... Not having a first round pick this year, wanting young assets, and needing a backup big... All probably contributed to the thinking.

MP played in big games... A national champ... A banger who understands his role (and limitations), who has improved steadily while playing at a big time program.

Having to brothers in the League probably helps too.
Bleacher Report gave the Knicks a C+ for signing Plumlee. I thought he was meh in Summer League so why sign him to a 3yr deal 1st year guaranteed. I'd rather take a shot on a Larry Sanders or a Kendrick Perkins for the vets min instead of Plumlee.

Bleacher Report gave the Knicks a C+ for signing Plumlee. I thought he was meh in Summer League so why sign him to a 3yr deal 1st year guaranteed. I'd rather take a shot on a Larry Sanders or a Kendrick Perkins for the vets min instead of Plumlee.

Plumlee is a very small cap hit ranging from 500,000 this year to about 1 million in year 3. He's 24 and a hard working big body to have in practice and at the end of the bench, so he's a possible good low risk, possible medium reward signing. Not sure if that precluded getting someone for the vet minimum though.