ESPN Early Projections In...Knicks Tied 9th(East)

tiger0330

Legend
Last years prediction was pretty good. 14th in the EC 25-57 record, actual was 14th in EC and a 32-50 record. This year they have us tied for 9th in the EC with a 40-42 record. Pretty disappointing prediction if you ask me, with the addition of a DRose, CLee, Jennings and Noah I expected ESPN to predict the Knicks would make the playoffs, pretty gloomy of them to predict DRose or Noah to get injured for the reason the Knicks won't make the playoffs.

My prediction somewhere in the middle of DRose Knicks super team and not making the playoffs predicted by the ESPN analysts. 48-44 record 5th seed in the East.

T-9. New York Knicks
Proj. record: 40-42
Last season: 32-50

The Knicks were the most improved team last season in terms of win-loss record, and now they've added former MVP Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah to the fold. If healthy, our projections could short the Knicks. However, our panel knows that Rose has missed 244 games the past five seasons and Noah has missed 68 games the past two seasons.

Yeah and last year ESPN predicted Charlotte to win 34 and they actually ended up winning 48. They predicted New Orleans to win 46 and they actually won 30.

I'll let you in on the secret for predictions. You take how many games a team won last year and for most almost every team, add or subtract less than or equal to 5 wins. Seriously, they did this for 11 of the 15 teams. The only exceptions besides us were Milwaukee where they added 6 wins instead of 5, Miami where they subtracted 12 wins (reasonable given the loss of DWade and likely Bosh), and Philly where they felt obligated to predict 20 wins when they only won 10 last year because why add insult to injury.

Read between the lines, with the exception of Philly, where the difference between 10 and 20 wins is almost trivial, ESPN predicted the Knicks to have the biggest improvement from last year by improving by 8 wins. From a prediction standpoint, that's pretty aggressive. Long story short, they marked us as literally the only bad team from last year who they are predicting to be in playoff contention this year in the East, which I think is fair.

Kiyaman

Legend
ESPN prediction are a month early this offseason .. must be the money$$$
Over half the teams in the Eastern-Conference added winning players to their team in June n July.
And some of these East teams are not finish signing and trading players ...

Im guessing ...
1-Pacers
2-Cavs
3-Bulls
4-Raps
5-Celtics
6-Hawks
7-Pistons
8-Hornets

Wizards and the injury-prone Knicks 9th seed

Broadway

All Star
Yeah and last year ESPN predicted Charlotte to win 34 and they actually ended up winning 48. They predicted New Orleans to win 46 and they actually won 30.

I'll let you in on the secret for predictions. You take how many games a team won last year and for most almost every team, add or subtract less than or equal to 5 wins. Seriously, they did this for 11 of the 15 teams. The only exceptions besides us were Milwaukee where they added 6 wins instead of 5, Miami where they subtracted 12 wins (reasonable given the loss of DWade and likely Bosh), and Philly where they felt obligated to predict 20 wins when they only won 10 last year because why add insult to injury.

Read between the lines, with the exception of Philly, where the difference between 10 and 20 wins is almost trivial, ESPN predicted the Knicks to have the biggest improvement from last year by improving by 8 wins. From a prediction standpoint, that's pretty aggressive. Long story short, they marked us as literally the only bad team from last year who they are predicting to be in playoff contention this year in the East, which I think is fair.

Yep they haven't been accurate with the league as a whole but when it comes to us(having us as a bottom feeding team) they have a better pulse. Matter of fact during the 2013-2014 season they were dead on record and all. When they tried to ear mark us for 33wins in 2014-2015 we met their lofty projections and finished with 17wins. They were way off in 2012-2013(when we won 53gms) and this is where we have to hope they are wrong again.

They do have Washington as a team making the playoffs who didn't last year

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Last years prediction was pretty good. 14th in the EC 25-57 record, actual was 14th in EC and a 32-50 record. This year they have us tied for 9th in the EC with a 40-42 record. Pretty disappointing prediction if you ask me, with the addition of a DRose, CLee, Jennings and Noah I expected ESPN to predict the Knicks would make the playoffs, pretty gloomy of them to predict DRose or Noah to get injured for the reason the Knicks won't make the playoffs.

My prediction somewhere in the middle of DRose Knicks super team and not making the playoffs predicted by the ESPN analysts. 48-44 record 5th seed in the East.

Well if you look at records ESPN is saying it will take a .500 record to make the playoffs. Well 40-42 is right there. Derrick Rose is probably going to give us about 65gms(between rest and potential nagging ailments) and they won't be D-Rose of 2011. They could very well be generous with their projection. At the same time striking lightning in a bottle we could be a middling playoff team. I'm not hanging my hat on D-Rose and when looking at the rest of the league and what other teams did I have to be fair with projections. Some teams will take hits but once again the league is a little better overall.

Kiyaman

Legend

Last season the Charlotte Hornets success came from signing LinSanity ..
The New Orleans Pelicans fired their winning coach to hire a SSOL coach Gentry

tiger0330

Legend
ESPN prediction are a month early this offseason .. must be the money$$$
Over half the teams in the Eastern-Conference added winning players to their team in June n July.
And some of these East teams are not finish signing and trading players ...

Im guessing ...
1-Pacers
2-Cavs

3-Bulls
4-Raps
5-Celtics
6-Hawks
7-Pistons
8-Hornets

Wizards and the injury-prone Knicks 9th seed
Pretty bold prediction picking the Pacers over the Cavs to win the EC. Lebron and Kyrie coming back from down 3-1 against the Warriors didn't convince you to pick to them to repeat in the East.

Broadway

All Star
Pretty bold prediction picking the Pacers over the Cavs to win the EC. Lebron and Kyrie coming back from down 3-1 against the Warriors didn't convince you to pick to them to repeat in the East.

If Draymond Green doesn't get suspended do you truly think the Cavs would have won?

tiger0330

Legend
If Draymond Green doesn't get suspended do you truly think the Cavs would have won?
I mentioned in the NBA playoff thread that I would have liked to see Green not suspended and Bogut healthy but those are the breaks. Can't take anything away from the Cavs coming back from down 3-1 to become the only team in history to do that.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Agreed and don't see Bulls that high, they are getting love cuz of Wade but to me thats crazy. I honest to God wanted Lee over Wade, splash aside it's just a better fit. Wade isn't a very strong defender anymore to me, and they have Rondo and Wade who aren't strong perimeter shooters, defenses will sag and clog the lane. Basically Mirotic better have a huge year spreading the floor or I don't see their roster being a great combination of parts. Also while I hate saying it as I hate the Celtics, I see them much higher than 5th, top 3 to me.

dk7th

Benchwarmer
i have them winning between 38-43 games, barring catastrophic injury to the first 6 players.

i have serious doubts about rose's abilities to distribute the ball, especially deferring to kp6 and melo. meanwhile melo himself played 25 stellar games last season. this season i expect him to play closer to 40 stellar games, like 20/8/5. and kp6 will be better-- special player and i expect him to absorb some great lessons from the superb passing noah, who fingers crossed can stay healthy in 24 minutes a game. i also think the bench is improved. spanish leaguers are a wellspring of talent and n'dour impressed last year in summer league. not a fan of jennings but we shall see.

Broadway

All Star
Agreed and don't see Bulls that high, they are getting love cuz of Wade but to me thats crazy. I honest to God wanted Lee over Wade, splash aside it's just a better fit. Wade isn't a very strong defender anymore to me, and they have Rondo and Wade who aren't strong perimeter shooters, defenses will sag and clog the lane. Basically Mirotic better have a huge year spreading the floor or I don't see their roster being a great combination of parts. Also while I hate saying it as I hate the Celtics, I see them much higher than 5th, top 3 to me.

ESPN projected the Celtics to finish tied for 2nd...in regards to the Bulls McDermott/Mirotic/Valentine/Portis will be better perimeter shooters than you think. Bulls are going to be pretty good. Probably 45-47win territory

Kiyaman

Legend

If Draymond Green wouldve got Suspended for kicking OKC player Adams, GS wouldve been eliminated 4-1 in the OKC series. Last season the officials let GS Warriors get away with a million fouls on opponents throughout the regular season to where opponents stop playing to win, because as soon as u touch a GS player the reffs called a foul. PHONEY! PHONEY! PHONEY!

Kiyaman

Legend

The truth be said .....
President Larry Bird just built a winning regular-season and postseason Indiana Pacers team by adding new coach Nate McMillan, plus PG Teague, SF/PF Young, and C-Al Jefferson for the 2016-17 season.
The Pacers 6.11 rookie Myles Turner stepped-up to the next-level of the game at the end of the regular season and in all 7 postseason games vs Raptors. YES! Myles Turner high IQ in the Post is twice as better than KP all-around talent.
The Pacers are a better regular season winning team then the Cavs this upcoming season .. The Cavs are the better playoff team.

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_Knickfan View Post

The Chicago Bulls signing Coach/Leader/Player HOF Dwayne Wade ...are all the TOOLS the pass-first Rondo n Butler will need to pull out a WIN in difficult games. The best part of the TRIO names mention above are they rarely shoot from the 3 ball line, the TRIO will challenge opponents inside defense for 48 minute a night. I am not saying the Bulls rotation will not have 3 point shooters in the 2016-17 season .. Ray Allen may return to the NBA in midseason.
D.Wade are replacing coach Thibs defensive setup, and MVP Rose all-around talent plus more .. 3 seed

tiger0330

Legend
West projections are out. Pretty much the old guard of GSW, Spurs, Clips etc. Jazz are somewhat of a surprise to me picked as the 5th seed, team with the most upside to me is the Wolves who they place at 10 but I think they'll do better but I said the same thing last year and they were awful.

1. GSW
2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Blazers
5. Jazz
6. Thunder
7. Grizzlies
8. Rockets
9. Mavs
10. Wolves
11. Pelicans
12. Nuggets
13. Kings
14. Suns
15. Lakers

Broadway

All Star
If Draymond Green wouldve got Suspended for kicking OKC player Adams, GS wouldve been eliminated 4-1 in the OKC series. Last season the officials let GS Warriors get away with a million fouls on opponents throughout the regular season to where opponents stop playing to win, because as soon as u touch a GS player the reffs called a foul. PHONEY! PHONEY! PHONEY!

I agree The NBA post-season was awful/disgusting on almost every level...I've been saying this for quite a while now. I can't begin to imagine what our fan base would be like had we experienced any of that.

I was just focusing on the GSW/Cavs Finals in that post. IMO Lebron has practically 3 asterisk championships but whatever

GordonGecko

Benchwarmer
nobody will respect the Knicks until the season starts and they're putting away teams consistently. We're going to win between 45 and 55 games and the internet's head will explode

tiger0330

Legend
nobody will respect the Knicks until the season starts and they're putting away teams consistently. We're going to win between 45 and 55 games and the internet's head will explode
I'm with u bruh. These Knicks are going to make those BSPN haters eat their 9th seed prediction.