Old or Older?: Ray Allen & Steven Jackson possible Knicks options

New New York

Quiet Storm
I Preface this by saying a lot of players or their agents use our market to drive up interest in players, and this could be the case.

That said, it's been and interesting week in Knick rumors!

Reportedly Spike is reaching out to Ray Allen, while Steven Jackson calls himself "a perfect fit for NY"

Two NBA champions who fill a need at backup SG...also two players past their prime...yet veteran leadership is essential for teams trying to win! Richard Jefferson is a great example of this.

personally, I say we sign them both and cut Nydor (whatever the hell his name is). Like Sheed, and Kurt Thomas years ago, they are likely not going to finish the season in the rotation (in Kurt's case, he was cut before season's end, and Sheed was a coach for us in the playoffs). But they bring a winning attitude into camp that helps the team's focus out the gate. Melo has impressed me with his leadership with team USA, frankly he can teach the guys how to win Gold and what can cause a team to stumble (2004 Olympics 2006 Worlds) but he doesn't have that knowledge in the NBA, he needs someone to be for him what he's being to Team USA!

These additions allows us to bring the youngsters on the bench slowly, Kuz has potential but to throw him in too soon could be a disaster! Holiday seems like a humble kid, learning from Ray Allen would work wonders for him!

Let's keep it real, 14minutes max for both these guys (at best), but veterans know how to be productive in limited minutes!

Ray Allen would be a defensive liability at this point, but will still near 40% from 3!!

Jax will be a vocal leader on D while putting up some halfway decent numbers on offense.

Likely neither are Knicks opening night, but interesting to consider...I mean what else is there to talk about this time of the year!!!

Kiyaman

Legend
The veteran experience of Old-Timer Ray Allen n Steven Jackson are worth 15 more WINS for Knicks than last season.

Ray Allen would be the perfect season tutor for Jennings in practice and coming off the bench to add a high tense energy.
Steven Jackson would be the perfect season Point-Forward tutor to give our back-court tandem Rose n Lee plenty of offense/defense plays to switch-up on for our many different opponents.

Our BIG mistake during the 2012-13 54 win season having 5 great "OLD-HEADs" on the roster in Jason Kidd, Sheed, Camby, Kurt Thomas, and Kenyon Martin were we did not offer any of the "Old-Heads" a job on our coaching-staff after the 2012-13 season were over.
BIG Red-Flag mistake !!!

tiger0330

Legend
The veteran experience of Old-Timer Ray Allen n Steven Jackson are worth 15 more WINS for Knicks than last season.

Ray Allen would be the perfect season tutor for Jennings in practice and coming off the bench to add a high tense energy.
Steven Jackson would be the perfect season Point-Forward tutor to give our back-court tandem Rose n Lee plenty of offense/defense plays to switch-up on for our many different opponents.

Our BIG mistake during the 2012-13 54 win season having 5 great "OLD-HEADs" on the roster in Jason Kidd, Sheed, Camby, Kurt Thomas, and Kenyon Martin were we did not offer any of the "Old-Heads" a job on our coaching-staff after the 2012-13 season were over.
BIG Red-Flag mistake !!!
They have one roster spot and now Caron Butler is in the mix. Which of the 3 would you pick for that roster spot, still think Stephenson is the guy the Knicks should roll the dice with since he's younger.

Still scratching my head about Stephenson, Yi is going to the Lakers, Hickson is going to China yet Lance remains unsigned.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Kiya makes a great point. For example, Kidd wasn't the player he once was, numbers way down, but it was easy to see HOW much he meant to that team. He was one of the MVPs for them. A shame we didn't see bigger line-ups that season (Camby/Chandler being one of them).

I would like to see Stephenson get a chance though because of his youth, especially since he's from New York. Whoever we pick of those good players, younger or older vet, I'd like that player to be healthy, not just a coach on the bench.

Kiyaman

Legend
They have one roster spot and now Caron Butler is in the mix. Which of the 3 would you pick for that roster spot, still think Stephenson is the guy the Knicks should roll the dice with since he's younger.

Still scratching my head about Stephenson, Yi is going to the Lakers, Hickson is going to China yet Lance remains unsigned.

I still believe Jennings n Stephenson would make a great backcourt off the bench to start the 2nd quarter and 4th quarter of each game under coach Horn. Our big problem has been our terrible substitute coaching look like the upstairs office are calling the shots ..
REAL AGGY ctfu

Kiyaman

Legend

Something smells real bad when it comes to Knicks giving Stephenson a chance in a Knicks uniform .. GM Walsh had two draft picks to select us a SG in which we were in Dire need of in 2010, Stephenson were the perfect pick .. Walsh went on to select a PG and SF in the 2010 draft, and Indiana Pacers had the next selection after us to pick SG-Stephenson. SMH at the smell

Kiyaman

Legend
Its a flimsy rumor by Morning News USA but the Knicks may be interested in signing Lance Stephenson.

http://www.morningnewsusa.com/new-y...henson-reviving-career-big-apple-2395415.html

NBA Rumors: New York Knicks Eyeing Lance Stephenson, Norris Cole, Jason Terry, Mario Chalmers?

The Knicks will need a strong bench with a lot of depth to pull off a successful season and postseason.
I nominate Lance Stephenson to tandem with Jennings in the backcourt, having Holiday n Sasha to replace injuries.