201950.png
201565.png

Injury Report

New Orleans PelicansNew York Knicks
Quincy Pondexter - Left knee surgery (OUT)No injuries reported
--
--

Game Preview

NEW YORK -- The New Orleans Pelicans longest road trip of the season continues Monday with a stop at Madison Square Garden to face the New York Knicks.

New Orleans (14-24) started off its five-game swing with a 117-108 loss to the Boston Celtics on Saturday in which Anthony Davis had another dominant performance with 36 points and 15 rebounds.

That marked the eighth time this season he has scored at least 35-plus points with 15-plus rebounds. However, the Pelicans have won just three of those games and are in 10th place in the Western Conference.

The Knicks (17-20) have lost seven of their last eight games after dropping a 123-109 decision to the Indiana Pacers on Saturday.

New Orleans is 21st in the league in scoring average (102.2 ppg) and 19 in opponents scoring (105.6).

"We don't have time to play at the level we're playing," said Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry. "For us, everything is a crisis situation. We've got to be able to correct the errors right away."

Davis is second in the league in scoring (28.8 ppg), behind Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook, and sixth in rebounding (12.11 rpg).

The Pelicans received a boost to their frontcourt from power forward Donatas Motiejunas, who debuted against the Celtics.

The 7-foot Motiejunas signed as a free agent on Jan. 3d. He registered 11 points, five rebounds and four assists in 20 minutes on Saturday.

Carmelo Anthony, the Knicks top scorer, has been bothered by a lingering sore right shoulder. He's playing through the discomfort, but it's affecting his shooting and scoring ability.

Anthony's .420 field goal percentage is way off his .452 career average. He's never finished below .426 in his 15-season career. He's recorded just three double-doubles this season. He posted 22 last season.

"The guy (Anthony) has scored 30 and 28 (points), making big shots for us," Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek told the New York Post. "If he comes to me and says, 'I can't do it,' I'll take a look at it.

"He's a veteran guy who plays with bumps and bruises. His shoulder has been shore, but the last two games almost getting triple-doubles? Veteran guys tend to know what to do and still play and contribute."

The Knicks trailed by as many as 26 points to the Pacers before staging a fourth-quarter comeback.

"They (Indiana) just played with more energy than we did," Hornacek said. "It looked like there were a lot of rebounds we were going to get, but they were just quicker. We had a lack of energy.

"We made a fourth-quarter comeback, but trying to come back from that far down is hard. When we came in at the half, they had 12 more shots than we did, and that makes a big difference in a game like this."

New York have lost 11 games by 11 points or more and are ranked 26th in the league with a defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions) of 110.9.z

(cbssports.com)

Kiyaman

Legend
Nice Game-Thread Rady .... Rose out n Jennings starting in his place .. When Jeff Hornacek was asked if everyone was available during his 5:45 pregame session with reporters, the Knicks coach said Mindaugas Kuzminskas was not available due to illness. Hornacek didn't say anything about Rose at that time.

tiger0330

Legend
Rose's absence is a little weird. I don't think it's your usual, he's got a bug or he's taking care of a family matter. I don't think they know where he is because no one is saying anything.

Probably one of those things when they had shootaround, he wasn't there and someone asked where's Derrick? Probably been calling him and he hasn't answered his phone. Weird.

mafra

Legend
Sounds like Rose is MIA.... Knicks don't even show up..... the 2016-2017 season has officially derailed. Hey, at least we have our lottery pick. Trade all the vets (Melo, LT, BJ, DR, Noah, KOQ, Lee).... anybodybtfafeable shkuld be deal for something.

Kiyaman

Legend
Melo get tossed out the game for picking up two quick technicals after being down by 20 pts in the 3rd qtr.

tiger0330

Legend
Maybe DRose looking to jump ship from this train wreck and wants to force a trade with this no show. We can hope, maybe we can get an asset for him, now we have to dump Noah somehow.

91-66 Pels end of the 3rd. They allowed 60 pts at the half again and 31pts in the 3rd and allowing them to shoot over 50% from 3. This is a 14-24 team that is 20th in 3 pt shooting.

Now I'm reading the Knicks weren't that interested in signing Randle, wtf is wrong with PJ and Mills, not bringing in somebody that can change the chemistry of the team.

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
Melo the king of escape when he see there is no way to win the game........ nobody on this team has any pride, maybe BJ a little, the rest all play as if this is not their team, they are just visiting for this year and will be somewhere else next year...... nobody defend his team, next season we change 10 players and we go into the same thing again and again........

tiger0330

Legend
The latest on DRose is that he may be in Chi. Noah spoke to him but would not say anything about the conversation. He was at the morning shoot around and must have flown out there in the afternoon without informing the team. Very strange and bears watching because it doesn't add up.

tiger0330

Legend
Everyone is speculating about DRose, some think he's upset with his benching in Mil or he's having issues with Horn, Bondy had an interesting theory that he wants a buyout in the second half to get a chance to play for a contender. I'm sure he's looking for a near max deal and maybe he thinks playing for the Knicks is bringing his value down.

paris401

Starter
yep.. not showing up will def increase his value... I'm not even sure if phila will take him... unless he's been kidnapped or similar, his chance of a big payday just flew away ...like he did...

Wow, this team has completely fallen apart in like a 2 week period. Good thing we have our 1st round pick this year.

jimkcchief88

All Star
This is the **** that got DRose traded outta the CHI. I thought DRose would take this a fresh start...but here he back on that other ****...I thought the team was playing its way out of the funk...wrong....this ship is sinking fast and the rats are jumping ship...starting to look like another lost season

paris401

Starter
....this ship is sinking fast and the rats are jumping ship...starting to look like another lost season

who built this 2016-17 version of the titanic?? none other then Phil.. while u can make the case the last couple of years was not of his making, his stamp is on this year's team... time he follows DRose out of town...

jimkcchief88

All Star
Well "Fail-Jackson" has been given a big pass for drafting Porzingis. But team building??? Hmmmm....Coaching???? Phil why don't you just coach the team??? You broke up with your west cost "fianc?" so no need to be in LA 11 months a year. It's time Phil or show yourself the door.

tiger0330

Legend
DRose is back in NY according to Ian Begley who saw him in Westchester. Knicks looked terrible w/o him last night, he might be a one trick pony but the Knicks looked different without him penetrating and breaking down the Pels D. Bottom line is they need him to turn around this season, they probably treat him with kid gloves even after bailing on the team Monday.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Um um um:( I've been as much a DRose supporter as anybody but I should bought a Noah jersey, not Rose. Dude is for trying to piss away all his talent Steph Jr...:(

Kiyaman

Legend
DRose is back in NY according to Ian Begley who saw him in Westchester. Knicks looked terrible w/o him last night, he might be a one trick pony but the Knicks looked different without him penetrating and breaking down the Pels D. Bottom line is they need him to turn around this season, they probably treat him with kid gloves even after bailing on the team Monday.

We have a two trick-pony when u combine Rose/Melo .... I wonder if Melo had anything to do with Rose being MIA for the Pelican game in MSG? Or was Melo upset at the no-show Rose?
Watching 30-30 today their main topic were Carmelo Anthony quitting on the Knicks last night.
The NO Pelicans Anthony Davis out-shine the Knicks in the Garden for 40 pts, 18 rebs, 3 blks, shooting over 60% FG last night.