What's your opinion of Jeff Hornacek?

tiger0330

Legend
Its the first anniversary of DFish getting fired, he had a 23-31 record when PJ let him go. Horn has about the same record 21-28.

DFish gave an interview and made some comments that the triangle was obsolete in today's NBA but Phil was the one that wanted to run it. Also said he had a lot less talent than Hornacek's squad and they performed just as well. Also said give him and his staff some credit for developing KP.

Fishers comment about the Knicks having more talent than last year and that he's not being forced by Phil to run that triangle made me wonder why the Knicks are underperforming this year and how much Hornacek is to blame. Would the Knicks be a better defensive team with a different coach, is Hornacek too much of a players coach, has he given too much PT to Noah. I'm sure his job is safe for the rest of this year but is he the best coach for this team. Is he doing enough to develop our young phenom KP.

mafra

Legend
Tough to call really, b/c so many close games went the other way this month.... NY could easily be 26-22 or something.

His rotations are iffy sometime.... not in love with the 3 G look as often as he employs it (bc our Gs are average to poor)...,,

But it's his first year and this team is pretty much learning on the fly, and the best players aren't invested in defense.

Kiyaman

Legend
FIRE Jeff Horn asap .... Or make Jeff Horn do a 360 coaching-change by developing a defensive-team that dont just rely on isolation plays n 3-ball shooting on the offensive end.
Its a pity Jeff Horn doesnt know how to coach a 10-11 man rotation throughout a back to back game season ..
The Knicks have great depth on the bench but having Jeff Horn coaching the rotation the Knicks dont have any depth off the bench SMH

Playa2

Benchwarmer
The question becomes , does Phil Jackson have Jeff's back as head coach.

Nothing like the President of the team NOT having your back during the season. When they don't have your back then you have to worry about what the players think AND the President of the team.

and1

Rotation player
i am not even going to jump on the knee jerk reaction of firing horny. last thing this team needs is YET ANOTHER change in the head coach. consistency. give him another training camp with a couple of new draft picks. i say fire rambis, even though we all know that's not going to happen. i think horny has shown that he is willing to go deep into the rotation. this game against brooklyn pretty much illustrated that. 3 of the 5 players at the end of the game were not starters. he went with the hot hands that were getting the better results. i like that.

and1

Rotation player
another thing about that. people seem to forget so quickly that TWO THIRDS of the roster were not even on the team last year. and on top of that there's a head coach in his first year on this squad.

Kiyaman

Legend
another thing about that. people seem to forget so quickly that TWO THIRDS of the roster were not even on the team last year. and on top of that there's a head coach in his first year on this squad.

Thas old news .. the 2/3 roster change has been Melo career as a Knick .. if coach Horn put some effort into stopping that CHANGE .. by having above .500 team in 50 games as head-coach .. by putting 12 players on the same-page .. NO! ....then nothing will change about the Knicks rebuilding every season for over past decade

Kiyaman

Legend
Eastern Conference after 50 Games played
1-Cavs
2-Celtricks
3-Raptors
4-Wizards
5-Hawks
6-Pacers
7-Bulls
8-Hornets
9-Detroit
10-Bucks
11-Knicks
12-Heat
13-76ers
14-Magic
15-Nets

The Knicks veteran experience plus young creative talent roster .. after 50 games belong as a 5th seed team above the mediocre Hawks n Pacers .....
Problem lies in the head-coach!

tiger0330

Legend
i am not even going to jump on the knee jerk reaction of firing horny. last thing this team needs is YET ANOTHER change in the head coach. consistency. give him another training camp with a couple of new draft picks. i say fire rambis, even though we all know that's not going to happen. i think horny has shown that he is willing to go deep into the rotation. this game against brooklyn pretty much illustrated that. 3 of the 5 players at the end of the game were not starters. he went with the hot hands that were getting the better results. i like that.
I agree you have to give him another year but he's got the same record as DFish when he got fired and what DFish said is right, he was working with less talent. You have to judge him by his record and what he was brought in here for, he's got a losing record and the Knicks are 26th in fast break points when he was brought in to improve that, he's also got KP, WHG, Noah and Quinn so why is the team also 26th in points in the paint? Overall I'm not thrilled with him but let's see how the Knicks finish out but when a team underperforms for the talent level you have to be skeptical.

Broadway

All Star
I get what Hornacek is trying to do here with protecting a vet but it's this kind of thinking, that hurts a franchise short term and potentially long term. This is what I was getting at in the other thread, at some point gotta put pride and emotions aside and simply do the right thing

Actually with Horn not knowing how WHG would react with the starters is the very reason he should start...like how about you find out. The more intel at your disposal the better one can plan going forward

tiger0330

Legend
I get what Hornacek is trying to do here with protecting a vet but it's this kind of thinking, that hurts a franchise short term and potentially long term. This is what I was getting at in the other thread, at some point gotta put pride and emotions aside and simply do the right thing

Actually with Horn not knowing how WHG would react with the starters is the very reason he should start...like how about you find out. The more intel at your disposal the better one can plan going forward
He's a players coach giving Noah 15-20 minutes a game and letting him start to keep him from sulking and becoming a chemistry problem. I hate the approach, bball is competition, put your best players out there that give you the best chance to win.

and1

Rotation player
I agree you have to give him another year but he's got the same record as DFish when he got fired and what DFish said is right, he was working with less talent. You have to judge him by his record and what he was brought in here for, he's got a losing record and the Knicks are 26th in fast break points when he was brought in to improve that, he's also got KP, WHG, Noah and Quinn so why is the team also 26th in points in the paint? Overall I'm not thrilled with him but let's see how the Knicks finish out but when a team underperforms for the talent level you have to be skeptical.

that's all true, but you have to remember that it was fisher's 2nd year when he got fired, meaning he had a 2nd training camp with his roster. his first year was a franchise record-making disaster. not to mention the fact that he also had a very talented rookie whom the rest of the league didn't have a whole lot of time to figure out and adjust to yet. as for the fast break points, it'd be nice if these guys - other than rose - learned to actually finish at the rim in those situations. also, a lot of times they just spot up for a mid-range or a 3 in those situations. some of these guys are just making bad decisions.

Kiyaman

Legend

First impression means a lot .. Horn had 50 games to show us a few things to prove he is a winning coach .. which he did not do. Horn let Melo start the season off doing isolation moves for 35 minutes per game .. Horn let Rose start the season off doing isolation moves for 30 minutes per game .. Horn let KP hang-out on the perimeter for 35 minutes per game .. The Knicks average 89 shots per game, the 3 players mention above total 50 or more of those shots per game.
Coach Jeff Horn knew Melo and Rose are ball-hoggers that performs little to no effort on defense before he took the Knicks job as coach.
What has Jeff Horn did about Melo and Rose effort on the defensive-end or sharing the ball to get other teammates in on the offense within the Knicks past 50 games? Nothing!
We all seen 1 to 3 different 12 to 18 feet scoring moves from 2nd season KP, that we wish KP would perform in every game to get down to a science to develop into a money-play, plus KP shooting the majority of his shots from 12 to 18 feet from the basket will raise KP fg percentage above 50%.

Kiyaman

Legend
Eastern Conference after 50 Games played
1-Cavs
2-Celtricks
3-Raptors
4-Wizards
5-Hawks
6-Pacers
7-Bulls
8-Hornets
9-Detroit
10-Bucks
11-Knicks
12-Heat
13-76ers
14-Magic
15-Nets

The Knicks veteran experience plus young creative talent roster .. after 50 games belong as a 5th seed team above the mediocre Hawks n Pacers .....

The Knicks after 64 Games ....
1-Cavs
2-Celtricks
3-Wiz
4-Raptors
5-Hawks
6-Pacers
7-Pistons
8-Bulls
9-Heats
10-Bucks
11-Hornets
12-Knicks
Jeff Hornacek? Jeff Hornacek? Jeff Hornacek?
The Knicks being a 12 seeded team has a lot to do with the performance of the trio of
1- Jeff Hornacek
2- Iso-Melo
3- Iso-Rose
How would u grade the chemistry of the Knicks starter back-court Rose & C.Lee?
Or how would u grade the chemistry of Knicks forwards Melo & KP?
How would u grade coach Horn at not finding a backup center to replace Noah in the starter lineup?
How well did the Knicks 6th & 7th man off the bench perform?

tiger0330

Legend
All roads lead to Phil Jackson

PJ is an old geezer. The Knicks are 3rd in the league in taking mid-range shots, more than likely because of Melo and DRose and the mid-range is where both players are most effective but what more does it take to prove to PJ that all the top teams in the league are 3 pt shooting teams. Houston is jacking them up at historic levels and they've made a big jump in the standings by doing it.

Kiyaman

Legend
PJ is an old geezer. The Knicks are 3rd in the league in taking mid-range shots, more than likely because of Melo and DRose and the mid-range is where both players are most effective but what more does it take to prove to PJ that all the top teams in the league are 3 pt shooting teams. Houston is jacking them up at historic levels and they've made a big jump in the standings by doing it.

Houston can shoot as many 3's as they like the Rockets play a hard-nose DEFENSE .. something Dantoni never preach as a coach. The Curry/Klay Warriors got their first run in the playoff performing coach Mark Jackson tight defense.
We need a head-coach just like Mark Jackson ....
In the past .. the majority of winning NBA teams like Bulls Spurs Rockets and Celtricks shot 3'balls in the 2nd half of games. Today, NBA teams start the game shooting 3'balls at tip-off making the NBA league teams weak weak WEAK!

paris401

Starter

maybe u are over rating the vets on the roster... and maybe our youngsters are not so talented....