1626143.png
1626195.png

201945.png
201584.png

204456.png
201565.png

Injury Report

Phildelphia 76ersNew York Knicks
Andrew Bogut - Personal reasons (NWT)Kristaps Porzingis - Sprained Left Ankle (DOUBT)
Jerryd Bayless - Left wrist surgery)Joakim Noah - Sore Left Hamstring (DOUBT)
Joel Embiid - Left knee contusion (OUT)-
Ben Simmons - Acute fracture, right foot (OUT)-
Tiago Splitter - Right calf strain (OUT)-

Game Preview

NEW YORK -- Derrick Rose is unsure about the offense the New York Knicks are running. Carmelo Anthony is unclear about the direction management has for the team after standing pat at the trade deadline.

Also murky is New York's ability to consistently get victories and start any kind of winning streak.

New York's latest attempt to get a win occurs Saturday night when it hosts the Philadelphia 76ers.

Rose and Anthony will be present for New York's first home game after the All-Star break as the Knicks attempt to climb from 12th place and five games out of the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Rose and Anthony were not traded Thursday and both had some strong comments about the state of things.

Rose was rumored to be included in a deal for Minnesota Timberwolves point guard Ricky Rubio and it would have reunited him with former Chicago Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau. Instead, the Knicks reportedly tried to expand the trade and the deal never occurred.

Rose then wound up scoring 13 points on 6 of 14 shooting in a nationally televised 119-104 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

His showing occurred hours after he questioned how the offense works with the Knicks during the morning shootaround.

"It's a different offense," Rose told reporters. "As a point guard, you're always in the corner and just got to play off reads and play that way. It's new for everybody here. I get all my points off random baskets. Unless you see it go to the post, all the other stuff is just random basketball."

Anthony scored 20 points on 9 of 25 shooting and then gave his assessment when asked if he understood the vision management (primarily team president Phil Jackson) has for a team, who is on pace to miss the playoffs for the fourth straight season and the 12th time in 17 seasons since trading Hall of Famer Patrick Ewing in September 2000.

"No, not now," Anthony told reporters. "No to be honest with you. No I think they were kind of planning on the trade deadline whether they were trying to make moves, I think that was one plan.

"Now they've got to get back to the drawing board and come up with another plan about the future of this team."

Anthony remains despite Jackson's best efforts to indirectly tweak him and prod the forward to waive the no-trade clause that was included in a contract extension following the 2013-14 season.

Another question for the Knicks is how long will Kristaps Porzingis (sprained ankle) be sidelined for. During the first half Thursday, Porzingis stepped on rookie Wily Hernangomez's foot and the Knicks said the forward has the sprain is mild.

Porzingis said it's getting better and there is not any ligament damage but he will miss his ninth game of the season Saturday.

New York held a 14-10 record after a six-point road win over the Los Angeles Lakers on Dec. 11 but is 9-25 since, including a 4-10 record in games decided by five points or less.

One of those close losses was Jan. 11 in Philadelphia. The Knicks squandered a 10-point lead in the final 4:44 and were handed a 98-97 loss when T.J. McConnell hit a 12-footer from the left baseline over Anthony.

McConnell's game-winner was part of a stretch where Philadelphia won 10 of 13 games from Dec. 30 through Jan. 25. Rookie Joel Embiid appeared in nine of those of those games and averaged 22.4 points, nine rebounds and 2.7 blocked shots.

Since then Philadelphia is 5-8 and Embiid's lone appearance was scoring 32 points in 28 minutes in a loss to the Houston Rockets on Jan. 27.

He missed the first of four games the Sixers declared him out for Friday while his injured left knee continues to heal.

Without Embiid, Robert Covington scored 25 points in a 120-112 win over the Washington Wizards Friday. Richaun Holmes helped compensate for Embiid's absence by getting 12 points, 10 rebounds and five blocks while playing 5 1/2 more minutes than starting center Jahlil Okafor.

"He came in and ended up with a double-double and five blocked shots in 26 minutes," Philadelphia coach Brett Brown said of Holmes. "I thought he gave us a fantastic lift.

Holmes' impact in Philadelphia's fourth win in five games and first game since trading Nerlens Noel to the Dallas Mavericks for Justin Anderson and Andrew Bogut could get him some possible starting assignments.

"We can only control what we're able to control on the court," Covington said. "Everything outside of what they do in management doesn't include us. We can only focus on what we can control on the court, and that's what our main focus was on these last few days. We lost some teammates, but we got some guys that came in the trade."

(cbssports.com)

Thanks for another great game thread, Rady.

Got 3 guys in the starting lineup whose teams clearly wanted to find a way to move them (Rose, Melo, and Okafor), so that's always great for morale in the few games right after the trade deadline.

Big test for us tonight. We lose this game, like we should, and we actually fall behind the Sixers in overall record. Time to out-tank the team that has best represented tanking in the modern NBA, or, just play our usual garbage defense and let them beat us the same way everyone else does.

tiger0330

Legend
Thanks for another great game thread, Rady.

Got 3 guys in the starting lineup whose teams clearly wanted to find a way to move them (Rose, Melo, and Okafor), so that's always great for morale in the few games right after the trade deadline.

Big test for us tonight. We lose this game, like we should, and we actually fall behind the Sixers in overall record. Time to out-tank the team that has best represented tanking in the modern NBA, or, just play our usual garbage defense and let them beat us the same way everyone else does.
After reading your post I checked the standings and I see we fell below .400 for the first time this season. I posted that we didn't want to fall behind the doormat of the league the last several years the Sixers but here we are.

Absolutely nothing to look forward to with this team next season. Dolan said PJ will be here and PJ ain't leaving with 24M on the table and that new regime in LA. Expect the Knicks to have another roster make over which won't include any top FA that has a choice about where to go. I would not put it past PJ to sign DRose to a 100M deal if the FA market is cold for PJ which might be the fallout from the Oak incident.

I was thinking PJ should sign Holiday to sell his brother on coming to NY to play with him but its more likely Justin signs with the Pels to do that.

Unless KP makes a quantum leap in his game the Knicks are looking mediocre at best next season. Even if the Knicks draft a stud he's more likely to be a factor several seasons from now and not next season.

mafra

Legend
Big game for NYK.... a must "lose" for us. Let's hope PHI passes us for good and we can finish with a worse record. The more ping pong balls the better. The only problem is PHi played last night and will Be tired.

A top 10 pick this year.... if we nail it.... and then we hope we stink again next year and add another lottery pick.... KP, WHG, plus 2 lottery picks....

Then, we deal Melo for something....

This is how we build a real foundation.... this is the blueprint for making 2019 and beyond the decade of the Knicks, ala the early 70s and late 90s.

Losing with a purpose is the only way out of this mess.

Phil should've realized this, especially now without Durant in GSW and Lebron still in the backend of his prime years.

No reason fighting tooth and nail for 35 wins.... being on a 15 win season if necessary....

This is how GSW built it, how OKC snagged Durant, Westbrook, and Harden...

BTW...
Rubio had double digit points and assists last night with 3 steals. Would take Rose a week to get 15 assists and 3 steals.

After reading your post I checked the standings and I see we fell below .400 for the first time this season. I posted that we didn't want to fall behind the doormat of the league the last several years the Sixers but here we are.

Absolutely nothing to look forward to with this team next season. Dolan said PJ will be here and PJ ain't leaving with 24M on the table and that new regime in LA. Expect the Knicks to have another roster make over which won't include any top FA that has a choice about where to go. I would not put it past PJ to sign DRose to a 100M deal if the FA market is cold for PJ which might be the fallout from the Oak incident.

I was thinking PJ should sign Holiday to sell his brother on coming to NY to play with him but its more likely Justin signs with the Pels to do that.

Unless KP makes a quantum leap in his game the Knicks are looking mediocre at best next season. Even if the Knicks draft a stud he's more likely to be a factor several seasons from now and not next season.

I think signing a player's brother is probably not going to entice him to sign somewhere. I sure wouldn't want to work in the same place with my sibling.

I think we are years away from being a 'good' team, but at least if Porzingis was healthy and we added another lottery player, we might be a fun team to watch. It's been a long time since I hated watching this team as much as I do now

Playa2

Benchwarmer
Phil has decided to let Melo continue to stunt the growth of the youngins, to make him look bad playing Iso melo.

Melo knows in his heart that his act won't be tolerated on a veteran laden team trying to win a Chip.

This is why he continues to use this phrase "I want to win a Championship in NY".

He basically just want to COLLECT all the money he can from James Dolan, the same plan Phil Jackson conveniently profited from !

Players around the league know Dolan can be pimped for big bucks, so as a player you don't have to win in NY.

But just remember as a player you must educate yourself on what it means to take the heat from the NY media for earning the big $$$$$$$.

tiger0330

Legend
CLee starting. LT in for KP. Sixers have lost 5 straight at MSG on top of their back to back gives the Knicks a good chance to win this.

tiger0330

Legend
I was just about to comment on you never hear about Okafors hands the way the guy palms the ball with one hand on his dunks and layups and then Wally mentions JO has huge hands.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Watching Bullies and CAvs in the Saturday night game of the world. D-Will just threw down an old school NBA Jam style dunk. It's a shame when you are reduced to watching ex-Knicks succeed with thier new teams:( Tanks a lot PJAx:(

jimkcchief88

All Star
Never mind just realized it's a free league pass weekend for us out of market guys so I'll watch the 4th. Looks like Melo is balling out with 32. Let's see if these fools blow it down the stretch

Knicks leading by 13 with 9 minutes to go in the 4th and the crowd is chanting 'we want Baker!' Great, just great. What a mess.

jimkcchief88

All Star
This is just two bad teams playing sloppy ball down the stretch um um um just awful to watch can't ge this game over quick enough Knicks lead down to six after two free throws

Seriously though, other guys watching this game, are we tanking or are we just this bad? Right on cue we have let Philly score 9 straight to get this to a 3 point game

jimkcchief88

All Star
Holliday bricking Sixers in the bonus after Holliday doubles down with a bad foul Knicks; Melo blows a dunk; Sixers back at the line Knicks lead down to 3 Sixers on a 9-0 run but Rose drops 1; deja vu Knicks clinging to a 5 point lead at the two minute mark