Scenarios The Knicks Can Be Successful With Melo?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Ok, let's say Melo lets it be know that he's 100% not going to waive his clause and Phil decides to stop trying to convince him. At this point you need to make the current team better. Obviously the priority should be and looks to be to build for the future. What would you do for this team to make them competitive in the post-season while still building for the future? Having a veteran All-Star in his his early 30s is far from the worst thing for your younger guys, but the problem is Melo goes through long phases of iso-ball. Unless Melo can go on a long stretch of playing good team ball, I'd reduce his minutes by a lot (which is beneficial to him as well). Any players we could sign that could compliment him and not hinder our future (could be also a player in our future for a long time). Any new additions to the coaching staff?

Again, this thread is just scenarios WITH Melo.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I think if you can't get something for Melo, then you just keep him and use him as a shield for KP and whoever the 8th pick is. It's not like Melo is Eddy Curry or Joe Lip****z.

Plus, why should NY help another team (by simply buying Melo out).

Anyway.... Phil would have to hit a HR in the second round and we would have to be fortunate with the 8th pick..... Minny wants Rose and swaps Rubio (or Lowry comes here) AND Phil gets more involved day 2 day (as basically another coach) for it to work out with Melo here next year.

tiger0330

Legend
I wish we could construct a scenario that would work with Melo but after 4 years of losing or mediocrity 3 under PJ and one with Woody with multiple rosters, various guys and styles of guys that played PG I don't see any way where Melo being the star of a Knicks team makes them successful. That said I'm not trading the guy for peanuts because that certainly is not going to make the team better either.

Kiyaman

Legend
I wish we could construct a scenario that would work with Melo but after 4 years of losing or mediocrity 3 under PJ and one with Woody with multiple rosters, various guys and styles of guys that played PG I don't see any way where Melo being the star of a Knicks team makes them successful. That said I'm not trading the guy for peanuts because that certainly is not going to make the team better either.

Tig .. Very good point!
Do u think Melo will accept a smaller role receiving 24 to 28 minute per game, we talking becoming the 2nd or 3rd option on offense, plus not taking the last shot in every clutch game ???

I don't think so!

mafra

Legend
I believe last season was the turning point.... Phil felt cornered when he arrived b/c NYK had 1 first round pick in 3 years. He didn't want to lose the 1 asset we had for nothing, b/c if we stunk we wouldn't reap the reward....

So, he re-signed Melo and tried to
build around him.... he probably felt Melo could attract some
Free agents....

He cleared up the roster and traded the "bad seeds", then he brought in Rolo and Affalo, and when none of this worked, Phil still stood by his promise to Melo and tried to build a competitive roster. Bringing in Rose, Lee, and Noah... 3 guys who have been on winning teams.... when it blew up in jan.... Phil finally realized NYK would never win with Melo as the cornerstone.

Basically, what all this means is the franchise has finally moved on from trying to win with Melo. So,
If Melo stays.... that's fine but Melo will know the team will not focus on winning with him. He'll just be another piece.

So, Horny has to actually coach and draw up plays and not simply hand ball to Melo....

It makes you wonder what Phil would've done had we possessed our own first rounders....

Anyway.... Melo and Phil have to be long gone before their stink will evaporate and NYl can start winning.

Kiyaman

Legend
I believe last season was the turning point.... Phil felt cornered when he arrived b/c NYK had 1 first round pick in 3 years. He didn't want to lose the 1 asset we had for nothing, b/c if we stunk we wouldn't reap the reward....

So, he re-signed Melo and tried to
build around him.... he probably felt Melo could attract some
Free agents....

He cleared up the roster and traded the "bad seeds", then he brought in Rolo and Affalo, and when none of this worked, Phil still stood by his promise to Melo and tried to build a competitive roster. Bringing in Rose, Lee, and Noah... 3 guys who have been on winning teams.... when it blew up in jan.... Phil finally realized NYK would never win with Melo as the cornerstone.

Basically, what all this means is the franchise has finally moved on from trying to win with Melo. So,
If Melo stays.... that's fine but Melo will know the team will not focus on winning with him. He'll just be another piece.

So, Horny has to actually coach and draw up plays and not simply hand ball to Melo....

It makes you wonder what Phil would've done had we possessed our own first rounders....

Anyway.... Melo and Phil have to be long gone before their stink will evaporate and NYl can start winning.

All that sounds good .. but my scenario is short and to the point .. Dolan offered the famous retired 69 yr old Phil Jackson $50M to do one thing, the one thing was to resign a FA walking Melo to whatever MAX $$$ price Melo asked for .. thats where the NTC came along with the contract.
Melo wanted certain players whom spoke against him publicly n in the lockerroom gone b4 resigning, and Tyson Chandler n Felton were shipped-off to Dallas, plus Shumpert was shipped out to Cleveland 2 months into the season. The Knicks had a 17 win season from Phil disposing players Melo did not want on the team.
Having the 4th pick in the 2015 draft, plus room in the salary cap to sign a few well playing veterans .. Rolo / Affallo / O'Quinn / Lou Amundson / D.Williams / Sasha was the best Phil and Mills could find that didn't mind playing alongside Melo .. The 2015-16 roster had Melo control the offense to take the Knicks to a 32 win season.
In 2015-16 season the Chicago Bulls had a 42 win season missing the Playoffs .. In the 2016 offseason Dolan/Mills/ and Phil Jackson traded Rolo / Calderon / Grant to the Bulls for Rose / Holiday / Noah for the Knicks to have a 31 win season in 2016-17.

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Phil and Melo for 5 years spells
LOSER!!!

you can take out Phil and substitute just about any name with Melo and you would still get LOSER.

carmelo just needs to go, and I am confused as to why he doesn't want to put himself in a better situation to win now? he is no longer in his prime, why not win now? This dude is hell bent on sucking all of the life out of this organization and I do mean ALL of the life!!!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
If Carmelo doesn't want to go then I say we just force him to stay on this losing team until he waives his NTC

We don't *have* to move him if the deal isn't good

Tkf

Benchwarmer
If Carmelo doesn't want to go then I say we just force him to stay on this losing team until he waives his NTC

If he doesn't want to go, then he is not being forced to stay here, he is doing so willingly. I would consider waiving him at some point or just cutting his minutes so much it will be like he isn't here.

Broadway

All Star
If he doesn't want to go, then he is not being forced to stay here, he is doing so willingly. I would consider waiving him at some point or just cutting his minutes so much it will be like he isn't here.

Can't wait until he's no longer a Knick, I mean for the love of message board posting why do threads like this keep getting made :td:

paris401

Starter

u are talking like people r banging down the door for him... with a 27m (plus kicker) contract, bad knee, on the downside of his career, he has little value... and lets not 4get we will need to take back 27m in contract... if he doesn't waive the NTC, its probably best just to let him go ...

mafra

Legend
Chris Paul opted out today. If he comes to NY and then Lebron follows next year.... NY wins title in 2018-2019

paris401

Starter
very optimistic thinking cp3 will even look at ny, n even more so that 'bron will entertain playin here... but hope is just about all we got left...

and1

Rotation player
well i'll tell you what, if those 2 guys actually wanted to come play in ny (which i personally seriously doubt) that would probably be the only thing that could make dolan fire phil. if silver and the nba execs caught wind of that, and i'm sure they would obviously, and they knew that the only thing stopping them from coming here was phil, you'd best BELIEVE that silver would pressure dolan into firing phil.
but yeah, i seriously doubt that's the case. i mean seriously lol, why the hell would they want to come here? to rescue melo? i wouldn't be surprised if they've been begging him to leave the knicks once and for all LMAO.

and1

Rotation player
Chris Paul opted out today. If he comes to NY and then Lebron follows next year.... NY wins title in 2018-2019

why you doing this to yourself, man? come on, man. don't torture yourself like this. i will not allow myself to just stand by and let a fellow knicks fan torture himself like this.
you know that's not happening. the cavs will trade love and lebron will force them to go way way way over the cap before he comes here. cPaul doesn't want to come here. you know how many teams would bend over backwards for him? he's not going to come here.