2017 Summer League

tiger0330

Legend
[h=2]Starts this Sat. and the first opponent is the Mavs and a chance to watch Frank vs. DSJ and Dotson. Mavs are playing in both Orlando and Las Vegas, why aren't the Knicks, does PJ think they're so good they couldn't use the extra work.

2017 Knicks Summer League[/h] THE NEW YORK KNICKS WILL RETURN TO ORLANDO?S PRO SUMMER LEAGUE JULY 1.

For the second consecutive year, the Knicks will participate in the Orlando Pro Summer League as part of the six-day event that will feature seven teams including New York. The Magic, Pacers, Heat, and Thunder will all play five games leading up to a championship contest based on the final standings.

Saturday, July 1: New York vs. Dallas at 3 PM

Sunday, July 2: New York vs. Detroit at 1 PM

Monday, July 3: New York vs. Oklahoma City at 1 PM

Wednesday, July 5: New York vs. Orlando at 5 PM

Thursday, July 6: TBD

DDIbYBGWsAAe1M7.jpg:large

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks added Louis Labeyrie to the roster. Allez Les Knicks

SL starts next Saturday .. Aiiiiiite !!!

http://www.nba.com/magic/summer-league/schedule-and-scores/

Knicks 2017 Summer League Roster
Jamel Artis G/F 6'7 Pittsburgh
Ron Baker G 6'4 Wichita State
Canyon Barry G/F 6'6 Florida
Damyean Dotson G 6'7 Houston
Nigel Hayes F 6'8 Wisconsin
Willy Hernangomez C 6'11 Spain
Ognjen Jaramaz PG 6'4 Serbia
Luke Kornet C 7'1 Vanderbilt
Mindaugas Kuzminskas F 6'9 Lithuania
Maurice Ndour F 6'9 Monroe College
Frank Ntilikina PG 6'6 France
Marshall Plumlee C 7'0
Chasson Randle PG 6'3 Stanford
Xavier Rathan-Mayes 6'4 FSU

tiger0330

Legend
Interesting that Kuz and WHG are flying over from Europe to play but our wunderkind KP is back in Latvia, wasn't here last year either. I guess a superstar like him has nothing to prove even if it means being a leader and bonding with his boys.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
It's not weird at all

Established players with guaranteed starting positions don't usually play in the Summer League because they've already proven themselves and earned a spot in the rotation

Summer League is mostly for rookies to play against teams of other NBA-level players (in college even the best teams only have 1 or 2 NBA-level guys, Kentucky being the exception since Calipari probably pays his guys). Porzingis has nothing to gain and everything to lose (injury, etc.) if he shows up at Summer League

I'm more surprised he's working out in Latvia because when he was drafted he always talked about how the best thing about the US is that the gyms are always open and there's always a place to hit the weights but hey, as long as he works out and gets stronger and improves his game, I'm all good

Kiyaman

Legend
Interesting that Kuz and WHG are flying over from Europe to play but our wunderkind KP is back in Latvia, wasn't here last year either. I guess a superstar like him has nothing to prove even if it means being a leader and bonding with his boys.

WHG is a professional B.ball player having winning skills .. i can not say the same bout KP two season of undeveloped performance, i will just keep mentioning KP is not a starter in the NBA unless the team is tanking.

I do want to see how well our 3 draft picks perform on the court with WHG/Plumlee/Kuz/N'Dour

The Timberwolves has the undrafted 6.4 SG Deonte Burton on their SL roster .. 9 out of 10 Burton 2-way performance will replace Lavine in their rotation next season.
Phil n Mills do not have any real decent NBA or college Draft Scouts in the Knicks organization.

tiger0330

Legend
It's not weird at all

Established players with guaranteed starting positions don't usually play in the Summer League because they've already proven themselves and earned a spot in the rotation

Summer League is mostly for rookies to play against teams of other NBA-level players (in college even the best teams only have 1 or 2 NBA-level guys, Kentucky being the exception since Calipari probably pays his guys). Porzingis has nothing to gain and everything to lose (injury, etc.) if he shows up at Summer League

I'm more surprised he's working out in Latvia because when he was drafted he always talked about how the best thing about the US is that the gyms are always open and there's always a place to hit the weights but hey, as long as he works out and gets stronger and improves his game, I'm all good
KP could fly over and watch from the bench to support his boys Kuz and WHG even if he didn't play. Like I said he wasn't here last year either while Kuz and WHG who are starting their second seasons are playing Summer League. I think he reads too much of his press clippings too tell you the truth, it's making his head swell.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star

He doesn't have to play and guys like him usually don't but he should be there to support his brethren. Guys like John Wall and Gannis make it a point to check in on their guys during Summer League. #kporzee is taking all his diva tips from Melo this much is clear. I don't like him at all, the way he ended the season and how he's carrying himself is a total turnoff.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
He doesn't have to play and guys like him usually don't but he should be there to support his brethren. Guys like John Wall and Gannis make it a point to check in on their guys during Summer League. #kporzee is taking all his diva tips from Melo this much is clear. I don't like him at all the way he ended the season and how he's carrying himself is a total turnoff.
I bet Embiid is there to cheer for Fultz as well. KP better step up his game this season, Knicks fans are going to be disappointed if he doesn't improve much this season.

Broadway

All Star
I bet Embiid is there to cheer for Fultz as well. KP better step up his game this season, Knicks fans are going to be disappointed if he doesn't improve much this season.

Maybe he makes a showing, who knows. Not the biggest deal if he doesn't but it would mean a helluva lot more if he did. Embiid is simply joyus to Sixer world. What a breath of fresh air he is for their franchise and they've lost plenty more games than we have and in some respects been quite as dysfunctional but I think we can all see a difference when an organization has a dominant synergy type spirit at the core, compared to what we have.

Sixers had a dysfunctional front office, no free agents flocking to sign there, lost plenty of games, rumors that their young players were going to be traded and possibly their coach getting fired. Embiid even got called out himself by the organization as they had concerns he wasn't taking his job seriously. What did he do? Rose above it and became that one constant positive optimistic individual in their organization. He's so vibrant that even Fultz cracked a joke recently on his personality/character...

Fultz said Embiid txt him all the time, I think he said a number like 75 times in a 24-48hr span since he was drafted and was positive/upbeat about their future. He said he doesn't mind the txt msgs but is concerned about Embiid's Data Plan...:teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

tiger0330

Legend
Correction to the Knicks roster, WHG, KUZ, Baker won't play. WHG and Kuz preparing for the Euro games and Baker is entering FA (injury risk). No matchup between Frank and DSJ either, DSJ will play in Vegas but not Orlando.

tiger0330

Legend
The latest roster. Not enough games to get a good look at all these guys imo, Knicks are really a poor organization not to be sending them to Vegas like the Mavs and other teams are doing.

Broadway

All Star
Correction to the Knicks roster, WHG, KUZ, Baker won't play. WHG and Kuz preparing for the Euro games and Baker is entering FA (injury risk). No matchup between Frank and DSJ either, DSJ will play in Vegas but not Orlando.

Would like to see as many of our guys play in these two leagues but whatever. I think it's smart of the Mavs and other teams(if they're playing both leagues) to hold off playing for the Vegas league for reason you mentioned and to pickup the schemes/game plan before stepping on court. If guys could play both that would be good too.

Doesn't matter at this point with Knicks, we're going to have another horrible season

Kiyaman

Legend

Well .. it really doesn't matter if WHG, Kuz, or even KP play in the SL games, what does matter is for them to be at the SL games to watch n comment on the 3 Knicks drafted guards performance, because 2 or probably 4 of the Knicks SL guards may be on the Knicks roster n rotation next season. Why wait till training camp to meet the guys that will be passing u the ball all season.
When in reality .. the 31 win season Knicks 2017-18 roster need to be in the practice facility as early as the beginning of August to practice many areas of the game starting with defense.

and1

Rotation player
Well .. it really doesn't matter if WHG, Kuz, or even KP play in the SL games, what does matter is for them to be at the SL games to watch n comment on the 3 Knicks drafted guards performance, because 2 or probably 4 of the Knicks SL guards may be on the Knicks roster n rotation next season. Why wait till training camp to meet the guys that will be passing u the ball all season.
When in reality .. the 31 win season Knicks 2017-18 roster need to be in the practice facility as early as the beginning of August to practice many areas of the game starting with defense.

yeah, i kind of agree. i don't want to see any of those 3 guys you mentioned end up getting hurt in some stupid SL games. but being there to bond with the prospects would be a good idea.

As Broadway posted in another thread, Frank Ntilikina left his first Knicks Summer League practice early yesterday while icing his knee. Great, just great.

Our first Summer League game is Saturday, July 1st (2 days from now) at 3PM. Of course, we are playing the Mavericks Summer League squad. If Ntilikina is out injured and DSJ looks good, there is a 100% chance that this forum will be flooded with people saying that that clinches we made the wrong pick. I don't know if I can deal with that in my life right now.

and1

Rotation player
As Broadway posted in another thread, Frank Ntilikina left his first Knicks Summer League practice early yesterday while icing his knee. Great, just great.

Our first Summer League game is Saturday, July 1st (2 days from now) at 3PM. Of course, we are playing the Mavericks Summer League squad. If Ntilikina is out injured and DSJ looks good, there is a 100% chance that this forum will be flooded with people saying that that clinches we made the wrong pick. I don't know if I can deal with that in my life right now.

if that happens, just ignore it, because what matters more is whether or not he's healthy and good to go by training camp. we'll have a much better idea of whether or not we made a good pick by all star break this season.
and think about it this way: what if he does miss SL but dotson ends up looking pretty damn good? don't panic just yet.

tiger0330

Legend

DSJ won't play in Orlando. Mavs will play him in Vegas. I'd like to know why if Dallas and others can play in both leagues why don't the Knicks.