5 reasons why Carmelo could be a Washington Wizard

Paul1355

All Star
My fellow Knicks fans, it has been a while since I posted, but I want to share an insight that you should all consider.
Carmelo Anthony could and should be a Washington Wizard very soon, here is why:

1)Melo is linked to the Wizards in order to be close to his son, Kiyan- 1) Melo considered playing for the Wizards or 76ers just to be near his son, Kiyan. According to Frank Isola, Carmelo's desire to be near his son is so strong that he would have considered playing for the wizards or the 76ers. Life happens and Carmelo is on the verge of divorce with La la, while having a strong desire to see be close to his son, Kiyan. This was reported by La la herself during an interview recently on television. We need to think like human beings before basketball fans if we want a realistic perspective on Melo's situation. He is a father and the only reason he wants to remain in New York is because of his love for the city and because his son is in New York. Being close to New york in D.C, would make staying in New york less desirable. This is why Cavs, Celtics, Wizards and 76ers are most realistic despite Paul/Harden in Houston.

2)Melo wants to win and Wizards would be instant contenders with him on their team- Why does everyone think that only the Cavs, Rockets, and Celtics would be good fits for Melo that he would waive his no trade clause for? The Wizards finished 4th in the East and had a full turnaround season led by stars John Wall and Bradley Beal. Imagine a 1-3 lineup of Wall, Beal, and Melo??? That would instantly contend for an Eastern Conference title and adding one more piece could match the star power of Golden State. Melo would play with the best point guard he has ever played with, allowing him to play as an off the ball swing man like he did on olympic team. Wall and Beal spread the floor allowing Melo to bully in the post-iso players to death. Wizards would be 2nd best team in East, if not 1st place if Cavs go on a losing streak like they did last season with poor defense.

3) The Wizards offered Joakim Noah a max contract before he accepted the Knicks offer- This is very important because very few teams around the league would say Noah has any value worth their money. Exactly one year ago numerous reports surfaced that Noah was going to receive a huge offer from the Wizards, winning the bidding war over the Knicks. Read: "According to sources, the Wiz are locked in on making a major offer to Joakim Noah. The Wizards are said to be willing to offer Noah, coming off shoulder surgery that KO?d him in January, a full maximum contract. His deal would start at $28 million and reach around $120 million over four seasons." - https://www.bulletsforever.com/2016/6/24/12026076/washington-wizards-joakim-noah-nba-free-agency-2016-front-runner.....
The Wizards were willing to give Joakim Noah a full max contract that he turned down because of his roots to New York and desire to play with good friend Derrick Rose. If we are looking to trade Carmelo Anthony, then the most ideal situation is not getting draft picks but dumping arguably one of the worst contracts in the past decade in the deal. Due to the fact that Washington considered Noah a max player a year ago, I am sure they would take on his deal with an allstar in Melo in order to make the jump to title contention.

4) Melo grew up in Washington D.C, not New York- "I'm coming home" song that the Knicks played for Melo in his first game was misunderstood. Melo was born in Brooklyn and moved to Washington D.C, Baltimore to be exact, when he was 10 years old. He grew up in D.C., not New York. His development as a man was not in New York it was in Baltimore where his love for the game truly blossomed. Melo has ties to D.C, emotional ties and there is no indication that these ties are negative unlike Kevin Durant. This is important because when you think of making major life transitions, having familiarity makes it so much easier.

5) Trading Melo to Wizards makes sense for both teams' current directions -Let's start with Washington, who finished 4th in the East and have one of the best backcourts in the entire NBA. Adding Melo would instantly make them contenders to battle the Cavs in a 7 game series. Melo on the Wizards would have beaten the Celtics and made Cavs work for their title hopes last playoffs. Melo would be the piece that launches them into title contention and they might be able to eat Noah's deal.
The Knicks want to dump Melo, Noah and start a rebuilding effort. Unfortunately Knick fans will not get back equal value but if we can start this process now while getting rid of a useless player is not that bad. Plus, the Wizards have some vets and young players we can play everyday on big deals to match the offer. Ian Mahimi, Marcin Gortat, Markieff Morris all make 7+ million a year and would match a Melo and/or Noah offer with money. Throw in Kelly Oubre or a pick and we are basically getting back a similar deal to Chris Paul's move to the Rockets. We dump a waste in Noah and get back serviceable players on large deals that would actually play. We get back a young small forward in Oubre to be a part of the rebuild process. I know we don't want bad contracts but we need a new direction and Noah is unusable unlike Mahimi or Gortat who would provide solid minutes as big men. It would crate a log jam of sorts, but Oquinn has been on the block anyways so this gives us breathing room to trade him if we want. Here is an example of the framework of a deal:

Wizards get: Carmelo Anthony(24 mil)....Knicks Get: Marcin Gortat(12 mil), Markieff Morris(7 mil), Kelly Oubre(rookie deal), possibly a pick.

Add Noah and Wizards give us Mahimi(15 mil) or other players to match.

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Also consider numerous reports that Dolan fired Jackson in order to not buyout Melo, yet the Knicks still believed he should be traded for value. So a trade is most likely scenario to occur and it has to be on a team that was good last season and would contend for a title. Based on all the reports over the course of a full calendar year, Melo to Washington is not only logical but realistic. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 11.54.40 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 11.54.40 AM.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 5

tiger0330

Legend
Good seeing you back Paul and posting this, nice post and looks like you put a lot of effort into it.

Entirely up to the Wiz because I think the Knicks would jump at a deal like this, I'd even throw in Quinn with Melo to bolster their FC if that's what it took to make this deal. Gortat, Morris and Oubre would be a great deal for Melo. Two starters and young prospect who defends in Oubre is a nice haul.

It's been written a lot about Melo returning to his Baltimore/DC roots but I haven't heard him say he would so like all these trade rumors he'd have to bless it. Critical time in his life also with his separation from his wife and son, all he has to do now is walk a few blocks to see his son, take him to school, take him to his bball practice etc. Yeah, DC is close but he couldn't do a lot of things he could do in NY being there with his son. In the grand scheme of things family and being a father may be more important to him than going to a winning team, I know it would be for me.

mafra

Legend
Makes sense to me, especially if BOS and CLE improve.... WAS will do what it can to keep up with the arms race.

Paul1355

All Star
Good seeing you back Paul and posting this, nice post and looks like you put a lot of effort into it.

Entirely up to the Wiz because I think the Knicks would jump at a deal like this, I'd even throw in Quinn with Melo to bolster their FC if that's what it took to make this deal. Gortat, Morris and Oubre would be a great deal for Melo. Two starters and young prospect who defends in Oubre is a nice haul.

It's been written a lot about Melo returning to his Baltimore/DC roots but I haven't heard him say he would so like all these trade rumors he'd have to bless it. Critical time in his life also with his separation from his wife and son, all he has to do now is walk a few blocks to see his son, take him to school, take him to his bball practice etc. Yeah, DC is close but he couldn't do a lot of things he could do in NY being there with his son. In the grand scheme of things family and being a father may be more important to him than going to a winning team, I know it would be for me.

Thank you. The only report we have is that he considered Wizards and 76ers if he was leaving New York and if he can consider the lowly 76ers than he can consider anybody near his son.

Melo would have to bless this deal, but as I said this might be something he would say yes to because its not too far from family and it would be a team that would compete for a championship in his small window of time he has. The issue for Melo is other teams are signing big time players, which is limiting where Melo goes. Cavs might get Paul George, Rockets are far from NY and have a coach in Mike D who Melo did not like playing with. Clippers are no longer an option because Paul is gone. Celtics and Wizards are the only logical options I can see at this point, and odds are Celtics sign Gordon Hayward without giving up any assets...leaving Wizards as only competitive team Melo can join thats close to his son, Kiyan.