Breaking News: David Griffin on verge of becoming next NYK GM

mafra

Legend
The Knicks are progressing toward opening contract negotiations with David Griffin to become the team's next general manager, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.com.

The former Cavs general manager traveled to New York to meet with executive Steve Mills to discuss the partnership. Griffin may also meet with owner James Dolan in the near future, as well. It's been a wild week in the Big Apple and the Knicks may have to sell Griffin on them more than the other way around, especially after the Tim Hardaway Jr. deal from this week.
Source: ESPN.com Jul 9 - 12:27 AM

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
A sticking point to his hire is Griffin might want to bring the staff he worked with in CLE to NY. If that's like 5 or more, I would think that's going to be a problem if he insists on it as a condition of his hire.

What a blessed existence for Mills that he gets to become team president again after being part of a front office as bad as ours during his time here.

I guess if Griffin comes here as GM and we continue to be a mess, he gets to be Mills' fall guy.

Not much we can do if Presti is unavailable and Ujiri doesn't want the job and is unavailable. Not sure I think Griffin did all that good a job in Cleveland though.

Kiyaman

Legend
Don't be happy over hiring another LOSER David Griffin.
What is David Griffin famous for .. think receiving the first pick lottery ball ....
2011 first pick Kyrie Irving n 4th pick Tristan Thompson
2012 4th pick Dion Waiters n 34th pick Jae Crowder
2013 first pick Anthony Bennett n 19th pick Sergey Karasev
2014 first pick Andrew Wiggins n 33rd pick Joe Harris
2015 24th pick Tyus Jones n 53rd pick Sir'Dominic Pointer
When u add up David Griffin past five years u get 3 number ONE picks in the draft for being a LOSER!
When David Griffin hired a head coach who never worked in the NBA, in the 2014 offseason that was enough proof to prove the Cavs were going after the 2015 First Pick of the draft again.
If Lebron Decision in 2014 offseason were to stay another year in Miami, then the Cavs would have drafted KAT in 2015 draft.

tiger0330

Legend
What a blessed existence for Mills that he gets to become team president again after being part of a front office as bad as ours during his time here.

I guess if Griffin comes here as GM and we continue to be a mess, he gets to be Mills' fall guy.

Not much we can do if Presti is unavailable and Ujiri doesn't want the job and is unavailable. Not sure I think Griffin did all that good a job in Cleveland though.

Don't be happy over hiring another LOSER David Griffin.
What is David Griffin famous for .. think receiving the first pick lottery ball ....
2011 first pick Kyrie Irving n 4th pick Tristan Thompson
2012 4th pick Dion Waiters n 34th pick Jae Crowder
2013 first pick Anthony Bennett n 19th pick Sergey Karasev
2014 first pick Andrew Wiggins n 33rd pick Joe Harris
2015 24th pick Tyus Jones n 53rd pick Sir'Dominic Pointer
When u add up David Griffin past five years u get 3 number ONE picks in the draft for being a LOSER!
When David Griffin hired a head coach who never worked in the NBA, in the 2014 offseason that was enough proof to prove the Cavs were going after the 2015 First Pick of the draft again.
If Lebron Decision in 2014 offseason were to stay another year in Miami, then the Cavs would have drafted KAT in 2015 draft.
What are you guys talking about. Cavs went to 3 finals in a row and won a championship and Lebron gave him credit for it when he left. The Cavs record says he's not a loser and he did a good job.

He's not here yet. Billups turned down the Cavs job and the Knicks job has proven to be a career ending move for many so if Griffin doesn't get a kings ransom to come he may turn it down.

What are you guys talking about. Cavs went to 3 finals in a row and won a championship and Lebron gave him credit for it when he left. The Cavs record says he's not a loser and he did a good job.

He's not here yet. Billups turned down the Cavs job and the Knicks job has proven to be a career ending move for many so if Griffin doesn't get a kings ransom to come he may turn it down.

Look at the actual transactions he made, not including the one he made where PJ gave him Shump and JR for nothing. He's not very impressive.

Kiyaman

Legend

Lebron DECISION in 2014 offseason stopped the 33 win season Cavs from being a LOTTERY team 5 seasons in a row.
Lebron forced the Cavs to trade their two number 1 draft picks to get Love at the end of the 2014 offseason .. Lebron had Waiters traded to OKC for their first round pick to get Mozgov .. not David Griffin!

Stop giving people credit for smething they did not do .. like the 23 win season GS Warrior team of Klay n Curry the year before head coach Mark Jackson took over

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, Griffin would be the best GM this franchise has had in a long time, because at least he will act professional, but this franchise needs someone who has rebuilt a bad team into a good team without the difference maker being an elite free agent signing. We all know that no elite star free agent is going to sign here in the next couple years and save us.

Kiyaman

Legend
Don't get me wrong, Griffin would be the best GM this franchise has had in a long time, because at least he will act professional, but this franchise needs someone who has rebuilt a bad team into a good team without the difference maker being an elite free agent signing. We all know that no elite star free agent is going to sign here in the next couple years and save us.

Like Lebron did for the Cleveland Cavs organization .. changing a 4 season Loser Lottery Team into a Finals Team in one season .. plus by not having Love n Kyrie in any of the playoff series the first season to the FINALS. Without Lebron-Lebron's DECISION making Griffin and the Cavs franchise would have been in the last three season Lottery-ball collection if Lebron did not return.
In other words Griffin hasn't gained any credit or points for the Cavs success the past 3 seasons .. Lebron went to South Beach to be tutored by Pat Riley on how to run and build a winning franchise.

tiger0330

Legend
Like I said in my previous post he might not take the job with it being reported that the Knicks are opposed to replacing their front office organization. I can see Griffin turning it down if he can't hire people he trusts and believes in. They interviewed Bob Meyers in SL and they asked him how did he get 2 guys like Jordan Bell and McCaw with 38 picks when they didn't even have a pick. He said he couldn't take the credit for that but he had good people working under him that bought the picks and selected 2 guys they thought could help.

Kiyaman

Legend
I will admit .. something happens to some decent GM once they become the Knicks GM.
Dolan may not have attended the 2017 draft night but if the draft picks don't pan out Dolan will want quick change involving the draft picks. Dolan does the same with Knicks trades n signings.
Why u think Melo insisted on a NTC plus a $30M buyout in his contract!
Why u think Noah insisted on $18M per for 4 yrs in his contract!
Tim Hardaway Jr. receiving $71M to return to the Knicks!
When u do the math ....
How many Knick players/head coaches/and GM the Knicks had since the Knicks 2010 Plan ???

Kiyaman

Legend
Like I said in my previous post he might not take the job with it being reported that the Knicks are opposed to replacing their front office organization. I can see Griffin turning it down if he can't hire people he trusts and believes in. They interviewed Bob Meyers in SL and they asked him how did he get 2 guys like Jordan Bell and McCaw with 38 picks when they didn't even have a pick. He said he couldn't take the credit for that but he had good people working under him that bought the picks and selected 2 guys they thought could help.

That's the opportunity we gave to Phil ..

As Tig predicted earlier in this thread, Griffin passed on our GM job because Dolan and Mills were not going to give full autonomy. I didn't want Griffin, but it is sad when a guy with no job passes outright on your job offer.

Sam Hinkie next best available option?

Broadway

All Star
Next batter.

Griffin was getting way too much love anyway, he's mediocre...but he actually may have saved himself from such an endeavor. You'd think if we were interested we'd let him do his thing but Steve Mills is J. Cole Power Trippin

THE OLD KNICKS ARE BACK!!!!!!

and1

Rotation player
and i'm sure, in the meantime, IT is still telling people he's not interested hahahaaaaa.

tiger0330

Legend
Alan Houston has been a GM in training for so long, I wonder if Mills would promote him from GM of Westchester to the big club.