Hernangomez and Noah

nixon7

Benchwarmer
I think the standard media analysis on the Knicks frontcourt has it mostly wrong, with one interesting exception:

[http://www.espn.com/nba/team/depth/_/name/ny/new-york-knicks]

Not that this chart is 100% correct either. The standard analysis presumes there is a logjam at center which will only get worse when Noah returns from suspension.

However, this ignores several things, which this chart seems to get right. The best defensive center is Noah, if he is healthy this year, which I believe is quite possible contrary to the "Noah is done" narrative. Kanter and Hernangomez, despite their offensive skills, are subpar defensively. Therefore, Hornacek is forced to play O'Quinn at center until Noah returns. However, once the suspension is over, and especially if Kanter and Hernangomez get better defensively over time; it clearly makes more sense for O'Quinn to play minutes as Porzingis' backup at power forward and only play center if there are injuries or midseason trades. Beasley is more of an offensive X factor than a complete primary PF backup. Porzingis is clearly running out of gas in the fourth quarter playing over 35 minutes per game. He may play himself into that sort of shape, but he may also get hurt playing that much.

As for the rest of the chart, by midseason I expect Ntilikina to be the starting PG, Jack to be gone, and Trey Burke to be the emergency callup, but only if Baker and either true PG are out at the same time. I also expect Hardaway to be the starting SG and McDermott to be the starting SF, with Courtney Lee to be the sixth man at either wing position. I also hope Dotson earns his way onto the rotation.

Comments?

Last edited:
If Noah can come back and even just for a couple months show the rest of this team how to play defense, I?d be thrilled.

I?m starting to think that O?Quinn is getting so much playing time because he is being showcased to get traded. Ultimately, either this team needs to move somebody to get WHG playing time or it needs to move WHG. Having WHG sit on the bench for year 2 of his development is insane.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
It's a project

If Noah can come back and even just for a couple months show the rest of this team how to play defense, I’d be thrilled.

I’m starting to think that O’Quinn is getting so much playing time because he is being showcased to get traded. Ultimately, either this team needs to move somebody to get WHG playing time or it needs to move WHG. Having WHG sit on the bench for year 2 of his development is insane.

I think the Knicks are trying to develop a defense first culture, and with a core of Noah, O'Quinn, Ntilikina, and Dotson that can work. However, until Porzingis, WHG, and Kanter buy in this will be a difficult project. I think WHG will play but I am OK with sending a message early.

Right now Hardaway and Lee have played badly, but I think they will figure it out. McDermott has really surprised me at both ends (in a good way) and Kanter is already beginning to move closer to at least average defense. Porzingis is amazing talent wise, but I am actually a bit disappointed by his lack of muscular definition and stamina. He is not in elite shape yet, and this is his third year now. He is also not blocking shots the way he is capable of.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks dont have a log jam at center .. tonight the Knicks format were like they wanna b like a small-ball Curry GSW team having a 7 foot Dirk on the perimeter lol
The Knicks need to play Big and gain a identity in the 2017-18 season .. having 5 big-men in Noah, Kanter, Quinn, WHG, and KP to use throughout a 82 game season rotation are healthy big depth .. our coaching-staff job after the Melo trade were to get the Bigs to tandem well in a lineup, which Horn has been clueless of the first three (Blowout) games.

WHG has no experience at being a NBA center! It was shown n prove over the summer when WHG team played against the Gasol brothers. Put WHG as KP backup at PF, and put Quinn as Kanter backup at center, especially when we run into teams like Boston/Detroit/Hornets/Philly/ect.
We got to look at what WHG brings to the team .. quick moves around the paint area to score within 10 feet, box-out for rebounds, pick n roll, plus he luvs to get physical to score or rebound .. 20 minute per night at PF spot.

We have a few players that perform well as a SF/SG wing player like Thomas, Beasley, Mcderm these 3 players are like big-guards only good for slashing, and playing on the perimeter. Having them play both forwards position are asking to lose by 10 points or more.

Our guards are another long topic ....

tiger0330

Legend
I hope Noah comes back strong but if he shows a pulse and you can trade him you do it ASAP. He's out of sync with the Knicks timeline being an over 30 player even if he may be the best defensive player the Knicks have and he's got prove that to me. Lets say he is the best defensive 5 and rebounder the Knicks have, he's still like Melo but on the other side of the ball, a guy you're not winning anything with.

Kiyaman

Legend
I hope Noah comes back strong but if he shows a pulse and you can trade him you do it ASAP. He's out of sync with the Knicks timeline being an over 30 player even if he may be the best defensive player the Knicks have and he's got prove that to me. Lets say he is the best defensive 5 and rebounder the Knicks have, he's still like Melo but on the other side of the ball, a guy you're not winning anything with.

Get a real NBA head coach and a decent coaching staff then Noah will win games for us

I like Noah. I like the way he plays. Realistically though, we were something like 18 wins and 30 losses in the games he did play for us last year, which means without him we were something like 13 wins and 21 losses. His presence did essentially nothing to move the needle for our record one way or the other. His contract is likely untradeable until at least halfway through the 2018-19 season. Even then, if we were to trade him, we'd probably have to take an even worse contract coming back.

Long story short, let the guy play for us. Let him tell the other guys on our team, at least in theory, the intensity with which you are supposed to play defense in the NBA. If you are in favor of the tank, he won't affect the final result likely one way or the other. If you are against the tank, like me, well, you are in for a long season.

Get a real NBA head coach and a decent coaching staff then Noah will win games for us

Every game the front office sticks with Hornack is further proof that Mills and Perry are channeling Sam Hinkie and we are deep in the tank. Hell, this apparently is the year to do it. The teams that have lived deepest in the tank for years, Philly, Lakers, and Minny, are all way better this year. Nets are better this year. Only team that you could argue right now is as bad as us is the Bulls. I don't want to watch 79 more games of this, but Mills and Perry may be entrusting Hornacek to take us the distance to a top 3 pick.