Game Thread: Memphis Grizzlies vs New York Knicks - 1:00PM on February 3, 2019

Going to go ahead and just throw up a casual game thread for our early Super Bowl Sunday game today. Apparently, DSJ, DJ, and Wesley Matthews all passed their physicals and are available to play today. Could DSJ possibly be our starting PG despite not having practiced with us yet? I sure hope so.

No one crapped on DSJ?s game harder than me up until now. He is not my kind of player. But, now that he is a Knick, I sure as hell hope he turns into a star. Literally, I just went through this exact scenario with Mudiay a while back so I?m starting to get used to the Knicks acquiring players that I previously heavily criticized.

Fun fact. We are actually favored to win this game. That is shocking to me, but Memphis is pretty bad too. We are worse.

Whoops, never mind. Line on ESPN just changed and now Memphis is favored. Every bettor in America was probably taking advantage of the Knicks being favored until that line just changed.

tiger0330

Legend
Thanks for the game thread htr10.

Seems to be a lot of interest in Wes Matthew's. Problem is his salary of 18M to be able to trade him by the deadline, SAC has Zebo's expiring but I think they have enough shooting so I'm not sure they would be interested. If we can get a pick and avoid playing these guys it would be better for the tank. I hope DJ also requests a buyout, another guy that could ruin the tank.

I may have to eat my words about DJ. I knew DSJ was likely going to start and get big minutes, but I did not think DeAndre Jordan was also going to be a starter. If Jordan and Matthews do get heavy minutes, which I did not think would happen, then yes, that could jeopardize the tank. Insane. I can?t see Fizdale and the front office actually letting that happen.

Broadway

All Star
Well according to Fiz's comments he's going to give DSJ every opportunity to succeed and sounds like at PG or at the very least lead back court guard. Says he'll have the ball in his hands a lot

Knicks will more than likely make a trade before the deadline. Hope we get Thon Maker while we've made a profession of scooping up young prospects...wouldn't shock me if we go after Parker either.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Thansk for the GT, htr10, looks like DSJ and DJ both in the starting lineup

Starting lineup is DJ, Vonleh, Knox, Dotson, and DSJ. This should be fun. I hope MRob gets heavy minutes too.

Sigh, DSJ takes a page out of the Ntilikina handbook, gets 2 fouls in a little over 3 minutes, and has to sit. Geez.

DSJ and DJ both play less than 4 minutes before sitting down, DSJ because of fouls. We trail 12 to 9. Something tells me the tank is safe. THJ padding his season stats in late season wins against other tanking teams seems like it would have been a greater risk to me, now that I think about it.

Rebecca Harlow interviewing Steve Mills courtside early in the 1st quarter. Mills claims that he and Perry had 8 potential scenarios that would have been ?great for us? if KP was going to be traded. We took one of those scenarios with Dallas as it became available. Our front office felt that keeping KP past the 2/7 deadline gave away too much trade leverage.

tiger0330

Legend
Rebecca Harlow interviewing Steve Mills courtside early in the 1st quarter. Mills claims that he and Perry had 8 potential scenarios that would have been “great for us” if KP was going to be traded. We took one of those scenarios with Dallas as it became available. Our front office felt that keeping KP past the 2/7 deadline gave away too much trade leverage.
Mills actually sounded like he knew what he was doing. He had KP pegged at least a week ago and had deals in hand before he met with Porzingis, asked him straight up do you want to be a Knick. He said no and it was bye bye Unicorn. Most teams aren't ready when their marquis player says trade me but the Knicks were in total control.

mafra

Legend
22-19.

With ATL already about 5 games ahead of the top 4 losers, it?s gonna be really tough for NY to win enough to fall beyond 4th. Even at 4, the odds are still about 12% (compared to 14% for top 3)...

I also feel if PHO wins lottery, a trade could be made bc Ja a better fit for their roster than Zion.

tiger0330

Legend
DSJ and DJ both play less than 4 minutes before sitting down, DSJ because of fouls. We trail 12 to 9. Something tells me the tank is safe. THJ padding his season stats in late season wins against other tanking teams seems like it would have been a greater risk to me, now that I think about it.
Wes can be a flame throwing tank buster. Remember his last game, 5 3s in the first half.

Wes can be a flame throwing tank buster. Remember his last game, 5 3s in the first half.

True, but if Wes is still on this roster at the end of the season, will he understand what we are trying to do and be less of a self-focused player than THJ would have been? I would hope so. THJ was all about sabotaging the tank during his 1st go-round with us.

tiger0330

Legend
22-19.

With ATL already about 5 games ahead of the top 4 losers, it’s gonna be really tough for NY to win enough to fall beyond 4th. Even at 4, the odds are still about 12% (compared to 14% for top 3)...

I also feel if PHO wins lottery, a trade could be made bc Ja a better fit for their roster than Zion.
No one is passing on Zion. The Sun's will use a crowbar to make him fit.

22-19.

With ATL already about 5 games ahead of the top 4 losers, it?s gonna be really tough for NY to win enough to fall beyond 4th. Even at 4, the odds are still about 12% (compared to 14% for top 3)...

This is a good point. New rules decrease the stakes of finishing bottom 3. Still, I like our odds not only to be bottom 3, but also to stay worst overall. This team is unapologetically tanking and has the worst roster in the NBA. The only thing that will force this team to win is a warning from the NBA about tanking.