home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Sacramento KingsNew York Knicks
No injuries to report or to be determinedReggie Bullock - Cervical disc herniation (OUT)
-Dennis Smith Jr - Personal reasons (QUEST)
-Kadeem Allen - Strained right foot (OUT)
-Elfrid Payton - Right hamstring strain (OUT)
--

Game Preview

The Sacramento Kings were relieved to get their first win of the season on Friday night, days after the New York Knicks got theirs on Monday.

However, only one team will exit Madison Square Garden with a second win on Sunday night when the Kings visit the Knicks.

Both teams enter Sunday with 1-5 records that are the worst in their respective conferences.

The Kings began 0-5 for the first time since opening 1990-91 with seven straight losses and started the Luke Walton era by losing their first three games by a combined 71 points before close losses to Denver and Charlotte.

On Friday, the Kings finally got the elusive win and headed into a three-game road trip with a dramatic 102-101 home win over the Utah Jazz. Harrison Barnes scored the game-winning basket with 2.9 seconds remaining after a missed 3-pointer by Nemanja Bjelica, and Sacramento survived committing 17 turnovers, getting outscored 13-5 in the final few minutes and a potential game-winning 3-point attempt by Donovan Mitchell at the buzzer.

"It was probably the first time all season we put together a full game," Barnes said. "Everyone down the line came in and contributed, and that was the team effort that we needed, the energy, the fight when they made runs, that we needed."

De'Aaron Fox scored 25 points, Buddy Hield finished with 18. Fox is averaging 17.7 points so far and is coming off his best shooting performance (8 of 17) of the season. Hield is off to a slow start by shooting 38.9 percent and 35.8 percent from 3-point range after making 42.7 percent from behind the arc last season.

"We were hungry tonight? Yes. Have we been hungry most games to start? Yes, and then it fades out," Walton said. "But that's the intensity that we have to have for an entire game. Hopefully, we feel that. We build on it and we continue to go in the right direction."

The Knicks felt those same feelings of jubilation on Monday when they rode the hot hand of Bobby Portis, scored the final 15 points and rallied from 18 points down in a 105-98 win over Chicago.

They have followed up the win with consecutive losses in Orlando and Boston. After a 12-point loss Wednesday, the Knicks absorbed a 104-102 loss in Boston Friday when Jayson Tatum hit the game-winning jumper with 1.3 seconds left while shooting over rookie RJ Barrett.

Marcus Morris hit a game-tying 3-pointer before Tatum's dramatic shot and scored 29 points after four straight sub-par shooting nights. Barrett added 15 on 5-of-17 shooting and is averaging 17.7 points through the first six games of his career.

"Our defense was much better in this game," Knicks coach David Fizdale said. "We really took the challenge defensively."

Fizdale's comments about the defense hold some validity. In their first three games, the Knicks allowed an average of 117 points on 47.6 percent shooting but in the past three, they have given up an average of 99 points on 42.9 percent from the field.

Part of Friday's improved defense may be due to Frank Ntilikina getting the start at point guard. He might start at the point again, especially if Elfrid Payton (hamstring) and Dennis Smith Jr. (personal) are unavailable Sunday.

"We're not happy with losses," Ntilikina said. "But we're taking it the right way. We watch a lot of film, see what we can do better and go back to the gym the next day and work on it. It's going to come. We've got to keep grinding and it's going to come."

Sacramento has won the past three meetings between the teams. Fox scored 30 points in its 104-92 win at New York on March 9.

(Field Level Media / cbssports.com)

This is the kind of game where if we lose then it really should start leading towards moving on from Fizdale. We?re at home and Kings are a miserable 1 and 5, just like us. Need to be able to win games like this to feel like we?re making even just a little bit of progress.

Randle is going to be a polarizing player among Knicks fans.

On one side, the guy is averaging 14 points, 11 rebounds, and 5 assists per game. On the flip side, his shooting percentages are way down and his 3 point shooting is non-existent after being a solid 3 point shooter last season. His turnovers are through the roof too.

Randle has all-star potential if used properly, but Fizdale wants him to be something that he?s not.

mafra

Legend
The only bright side to his turnover-prone play thus far, as echoed in what Fiz said the other day.

?I never expected [this]. He draws double and triple teams, and they?re really forcing him to have to trust,? Fizdale said. ?I don?t know if he?s ever seen this before in his career. That?s a tough thing for a guy for the first time ever, seeing these kind of coverages. So, we just gotta make sure our spacing is right around him, and we?re ready to make shots when he?s kicking that ball out.?

tiger0330

Legend
We'll see about Randle, I said he was a good player that was surrounded on his other teams by others where his role never was the main man on a team. Now he is the main guy and he's going to get more defensive pressure, fewer open looks, along with the expanded responsibilities Fizdale thrust on him. He's ranked 98th best player in that ESPN survey, a fair ranking but not worthy of a 21M salary, he maybe the latest of the many overpaid stiffs the Knicks have signed.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
This is the kind of game where if we lose then it really should start leading towards moving on from Fizdale. We’re at home and Kings are a miserable 1 and 5, just like us. Need to be able to win games like this to feel like we’re making even just a little bit of progress.
I said must win which is a pretty ridiculous statement for this being the 7th game but I said it because the Kings suck, they play no defense and look to be the worst team in the WC. If we can't beat them tonight I can almost guarantee it's going to be a long season for Knicks fans. That said there is no way we're losing this game on our home court tonight. Let's go Knicks.

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks Rady for the Game Thread .... The 1-5 Kings messed-up big time by not resigning their starter center WCS.
Last season the Kings tandem bigmen WCS & rookie Marvin Bagley were a beast in the paint.
Well our 1-5 Knicks messed-up too, by not resigning a winning veteran center DeAndre Jordan to give Fizdale tips on how to win games, plus we needed DJ to prepare and mentor Knox & MitchRob for our many different opponents each night in the regular season games. I'm sure our PG-DSJ really missed the praise of confidence DJ gave to him in the locker-room.

Today, our PUPPET coach Fizdale should be getting his 2nd win of the season, or lose and get Fired on Monday morning !!!

mafra

Legend
I could care less about w/l... I just want to see us play solid defense and compete. This should be our identity, and if we commit to this and be consistent in our effort and discipline to good defense... the offense will come an so will the wins.

With that said, yes... we better win. But they have the better PG and so they do have the advantage.

Kiyaman

Legend
We'll see about Randle, I said he was a good player that was surrounded on his other teams by others where his role never was the main man on a team. Now he is the main guy and he's going to get more defensive pressure, fewer open looks, along with the expanded responsibilities Fizdale thrust on him. He's ranked 98th best player in that ESPN survey, a fair ranking but not worthy of a 21M salary, he maybe the latest of the many overpaid stiffs the Knicks have signed.

C'mon .. Randle's performance last season had a lot to do with AD asking to be traded !!!
Which coach will be FIRED on Monday mourning for having a 1-6 record? Fizdale? or Walton?

Are our problems deeper than just firing Fiz??

Winning and losing? Playing consistent on both defense and offense? Has Fiz shown the ability to do that as a coach? If Mike Miller took over what would be the out come? Would the front office let him coach? That why the first question.

tiger0330

Legend
Are our problems deeper than just firing Fiz??

Winning and losing? Playing consistent on both defense and offense? Has Fiz shown the ability to do that as a coach? If Mike Miller took over what would be the out come? Would the front office let him coach? That why the first question.
Heard Rebecca Harlow interview (Miller) him, no way does he become the head coach of the Knicks. Too mild mannered from what I saw, Fizdale has more fire and presence than Miller. Smart probably becomes the interim until they find a new HC if they dump Fizdale.

Heard Rebecca Harlow interview (Miller) him, no way does he become the head coach of the Knicks. Too mild mannered from what I saw, Fizdale has more fire and presence than Miller. Smart probably becomes the interim until they find a new HC if they dump Fizdale.

Miller was G League Coach of the Year last year. I think he can bring it when he needs to bring it. We basically have a G league team playing in the NBA this season. I say give him a shot when Fizdale washes out.

Don?t want to hear any complaints about who is running the point in this game. DSJ and Payton are still out and Ntilikina picked up 2 fouls in 4 minutes. Fizdale has to have a non-PG run the point tonight.

Starting Portis did literally nothing to space the floor for Randle. If MRob can by some miracle cut down on his fouls, he needs to start.

Kiyaman

Legend
Coach Walton knows this game has his job in jeopardy !!!
Walton is depending on Fox dynamic performance to win this game for him