home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York KnicksPhoenix Suns
Elfrid Payton - Personal reasons (QUEST)Ricky Rubio - Left hip soreness (PROB)
Dennis Smith Jr. - Left oblique strain (QUEST)Frank Kaminsky III - Right knee soreness (DOUBT)
-Jared Harper - G League assignment (OUT)
-Jalen Lecque - G League assignment (OUT)

Game Preview

The 2010s were a decade to forget for both the Phoenix Suns and the New York Knicks. On Friday night, both teams will be looking to continue building the foundation for a better 10-year run when the Suns host the Knicks.

Both teams were off Thursday after playing New Year's Day, when the Suns saw their late comeback fall short in a 117-107 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers and the Knicks extended a rare winning streak by routing the Portland Trail Blazers, 117-93.

The loss ended the Suns' two-game winning streak, but head coach Monty Williams was encouraged considering Phoenix trailed the Western Conference-leading Lakers by as many as 36 points before cutting the gap to seven in the fourth quarter, when Los Angeles had to reinsert its starters to ice the game.

The defeat capped a 2-2 road trip for the Suns, who have lost nine of 11 overall. But six of those losses were by 10 points or fewer, a key development as Phoenix tries to build a team that can compete for the franchise's first playoff berth since the spring of 2010.

"It was a good road trip -- we had a chance to make it great, but it was a good road trip," Williams said following Wednesday's loss. "We certainly know we could have had all four games, and that'll keep you up at night. But I'm proud of this team's competitive nature. We just don't give in. To me, that's a great start for a team that's building a program."

The Knicks have tried numerous rebuilding projects since their most recent trip to the playoffs in the spring of 2013, when they made the franchise's only trip out of the first round this century.

New York's latest reload seemed to hit a snag during a 4-20 start that cost head coach David Fizdale his job, but interim coach Mike Miller has steered the team to a 6-6 record and wins in the last three games -- the longest streak since a three-game run in November 2018.

On Wednesday, Mitchell Robinson -- who was acquired with one of the draft picks the Knicks obtained from the Oklahoma City Thunder in exchange for Carmelo Anthony in September 2017 -- provided a glimpse at his potential by scoring 22 points on 11-of-11 shooting, which tied the franchise record for most made field goals without a miss.

"Anytime you win three in a row, it feels really good," Knicks forward Marcus Morris said following Wednesday's victory. "But the biggest thing is we are starting to find our identity."

The Knicks last won four straight Dec. 10-16, 2017, back when Jeff Hornacek was their head coach. The only remaining player from that team is point guard Frank Ntilikina.

The game Friday marks the opener of a five-game homestand for the Suns and a four-game road trip for the Knicks. The two teams are scheduled to complete their season series in New York on Jan. 16.

(Field Level Media / cbssports.com)

Thanks, Rady.

This is a game that you really hope to win in the Miller era of the Knicks. We have a bunch of guys playing well and the team has started to gel.

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks for the Game-Thread Rady .... Hopefully, Miller could get these guys to start this 4 game road trip off with a win.
Our Bench depth has been Outstanding .. I'm hoping Reg Bullock's talents become the missing piece we need to beat above .500 opponents on this road trip.

Kiyaman

Legend
Miller trying hard to get the Fizdale Iso-starters on the same page by letting them play 9 min in first quarter

Kiyaman

Legend
I would have pulled Bullock after shooting a half-court shot .. just to put Gibson into the bench-lineup

Strong 1st half for us and we lead by 10. Randle continues to look like he is turning into a very good player who can lead this team.

Kiyaman

Legend
Payton's really active on DEFENSE to help the Iso-starters .. It looks like Payton and Frank are learning from each other.

Half-Time Score .. Knicks 61 - Suns 51

mafra

Legend
61-51. A watchable effort so far, how about that? Truly a team effort, the sum greater than its parts. Let?s see if we can do to PHO what they just did to POR.... pull away...

mafra

Legend
Is it just me or does Rubio get the benefit of a Euro step every time he enters the paint?

Kiyaman

Legend
Strong 1st half for us and we lead by 10. Randle continues to look like he is turning into a very good player who can lead this team.

I dont know bout Randle looking good .. Knicks had a 1 pt lead 14-15 when Miller took the starters out the game having 4 min left in the first qtr. .. The Knicks bench players gave us the 29 - 37 lead

Kiyaman

Legend
In less than 2 minute the Suns go on a 10-0 run ti tie the game at 61 .. our Iso-starters suck Randle/Morris/RJ

A few brutal 4th quarter mistakes ruined an otherwise good effort. Booker showing why Phoenix had no interest in swapping Booker for KP a couple years ago.

Kiyaman

Legend
Give me Frank & Dotson in the 4th qtr. closer lineup having FortKnox Portis and MitchRob as the Knicks new Finishers !!!

The NO-Defensive effort we got from our 30+ minute starters Randle/Morris/RJ/Payton tonight says this will be a Fizdale LOSER road trip.
Payton should have stayed stayed home to greet his new born child.
Bullock shouldn't have got any playing-time in the 2nd half.

tiger0330

Legend
Most winnable game on this trip. We’re going to get beat like a drum the next 3, maybe Miller is a genius and we come home 2-2 but I’m expecting 0-4.

For those who didn?t see it, there was a play late in the 4th quarter where Baynes blocked a Portis 3-pointer and then took it all the way for the layup and got a stupid foul from Portis to make it an and-1.

This play shifted the game in Phoenix?s favor for good. Up until that point, we looked like we had a good chance of winning this one.

There are two plays that made me think that we were going to lose this game. Some may remember they were back to back.

Frank for defending Rubio and he luckily bank in a shot off the glass. There next possession Frank runs Rubio out of the paint and he dish the ball to someone and Robinson block the ball to Rubio at he 3 pt line and with Frank having to readjust and get there late to defend the 3. Rubio made the shot. That was 5 point swing. I think this may have happen in the late 3 or 4 quarter.

mafra

Legend
Yeah, that Portis play and those lucky Rubio plays (like the one where MRob block shot and guy on 3-point line catches it and drains a 3).... along with 2 silly EP turnovers, the ugly RJ 2:1 break.... this was the turning point.

Then, it boiled down to the fact the they made shots late and we didn?t.

Our bench out scored their 47-9.... but Booker and Oubre outscored our 5 starters.

As for Miller, I agree with this: ?If you?re wondering why the Knicks? best perimeter defender played 16 minutes in a game when the opponent?s premier perimeter player was scorching hot, get in line.?

PHO trades for Oubre last year.... WIZ sent him there for 43 games of Trevor Ariza. This is the sort of deal we need to make this season.

Last edited: