Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Portland Trail Blazers 6/2/2021 1:00 pm [Game #24]

rady

Administrator
Staff member

gt.png

POR.gif
at.png
NYK.gif

(12-9) -- (10-13)

VenueTVTIME
Madison Square Garden, New York, NYMSG1:00 PM EST

Probable starters:

away.png
i
i
i
i
i

home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Portland Trail BlazersNew York Knicks
Damian Lillard - Abdominal strain (PROB)No injuries reported for this team
Derrick Jones Jr. - Left foot sprain (PROB)-
Nassir Little - Left knww sprain (OUT)-
CJ McCollum - Foot injury (OUT)-
Jusuf Nurkic - Wrist injury (OUT)-
Zach Collins - Ankle injury (OUT)-

Game Preview

Carmelo Anthony and Enes Kanter didn't get to play for the New York Knicks when one of the NBA's marquee franchises fully embraced its role as the scrappy underdog.

But Anthony and Kanter will have a pretty good idea of what life is like these days for the Knicks on Saturday afternoon, when the duo is scheduled to lead the Portland Trail Blazers into New York for a rare non-conference matinee.

Both teams earned road wins in their previous games. The Trail Blazers ensured themselves at least a .500 road trip Thursday night, when undermanned Portland rode a dominant third quarter to a surprising 121-105 victory over the Philadelphia 76ers. The Knicks earned a split of a two-game set with the Chicago Bulls on Wednesday by edging the hosts, 107-103.

The Trail Blazers beat one of the Eastern Conference's top teams despite missing four-fifths of their optimal starting lineup. Leading scorer Damian Lillard was sidelined with a lingering abdominal injury he aggravated against the Washington Wizards on Tuesday night. He joined second-leading scorer CJ McCollum (foot) as well as Jusuf Nurkic (right wrist) and Derrick Jones Jr. (foot) on the bench.

But Anthony, who tied a season-high with 22 points, and Kanter, who posted his sixth straight double-double by collecting 17 points and 18 rebounds, sparked a resurgent effort by the Trail Blazers, who broke open a tie game by scoring the first 14 points of the third quarter to take a 71-57 lead. Gary Trent Jr., who had a team-high 24 points, drained a pair of 3-pointers in the run.

"It will always be a memorable win," Trail Blazers head coach Terry Stotts said.

The Knicks haven't enjoyed too many memorable wins since the last time they made the playoffs in 2012-13, when Anthony won the NBA scoring title while sparking a run to the Eastern Conference semifinals.

The Knicks were 184-374 over the subsequent seven seasons-- including 17-65 in 2018-19, when Kanter averaged 14.0 points and 10.5 rebounds in 44 games before being waived and eventually signed by the Trail Blazers -- before finally committing to a rebuild this season under first-year head coach Tom Thibodeau.

On Wednesday, the Knicks started four players age 26 or younger as they improved to 10-13. New York needed 34 games to get to 10 wins last season and didn't record its 10th win until the 39th game of the 2018-19 campaign.

The most exciting young player for the Knicks has been rookie point guard Immanuel Quickley, who hasn't started this season but has scored in double digits in nine of the 19 games in which he's played. On Wednesday, though, New York was led by starting point guard Elfrid Payton, who scored 20 points and pulled down eight rebounds.

"Listen, we need everyone," Thibodeau said. "Some nights it's his night and some nights it's someone else's night. That's what I love about our team. We have to share in that, and we have to do it together."

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Thanks, Rady.

Out with the kid, so will need to watch the replay. Would be nice to get two in a row.

mafra

Legend
Good first Q for Knicks. It?s a ballgame.

?I feel like I?m still trying to find my offense, my strengths on the offensive side,?? Toppin said. ?I feel like everybody is helping me with that, my coaches and teammates. All of those guys are helping me try to find what I?m really good at.??

?I?m still trying to find my offensive spot, first time playing in the NBA. I?m trying to find out what I?m really good at this level. I?m going to start trying new things.??

Asked what differences struck him between Dayton and the NBA, Toppin said: ?The difference between college and now ? I feel like physicality, the speed of the game, those two things are the main things probably that I need to adjust to. I?m learning every single day and feel like I?m getting better.??

You know, he wasn?t recruited and worked hard to find a role; he didn?t play much early, but worked hard and become POY in college...

I believe he?ll work and put himself in a position to contribute, if given the opportunity

mafra

Legend
Julius Randle is by far having the best season of his career - his 22.6 points, 10.9 rebounds, and 6.0 assists per game are all career-highs, as is his 39.6 field goal percentage from three-point land.

But Randle has also played a role in mentoring Knicks' rookies Obi Toppin and Immanuel Quickley.

Toppin called Randle his "big brother of the team."

"He helps me every step of the way, out there every single day," Toppin said. "Me and him sit down and watch film, he shows me things that he does amazingly, and he shows me things that I do good and bad, just because he wants me to learn every single day from all of my mistakes, and I feel like having him as a big brother on this team is gonna help me be great."

Quickley feels that his fellow Kentucky Wildcat is an All-Star.

"Last one to leave type mentality, first one to be in. He deserves to be an All Star. It's great to have somebody who sets that example. Coming in as a rookie, I have somebody to look at. He's just somebody who leads on and off the floor," Quickley added.

Knicks lead by 8 heading into the 4th. Another strong game for Payton. How many good games will Payton need to change Knicks fans? minds about him?

Quickley with 12 points in 11 minutes. Even with another strong game from Payton, hard to believe Quickley can?t even get 20 minutes a game.

Although it?s coming at the expense of Quickley?s minutes, Payton is having a strong game. 20 points, 6 boards, 4 assists.

MRob with the steal and Payton with the dunk in transition. Knicks lead by 14 in the 4th. Need to keep up the pressure. Can?t let Portland go on a run.

Nice game for Burks. 16 points, 7 boards, 4 for 7 from three. Like what he is bringing off the bench.

Interesting. Quickley comes in for Payton for the final 2 minutes of the 4th to try to close out the game with a 7 point lead.

Knicks don?t know how to close out a game. No points in the last 3 minutes so far. Portland has missed 5 straight 3 point attempts and that is what is saving us.

Great win. 2 in a row!

Knicks hold Portland to only 99 points and win by 11. Only 2nd time all season Portland has been held under 100 points.

Portland was on the 6th game of a 6 game road trip, but still, this is the team with the 4th best record in the West.

Knicks are 11 - 13 and currently have 6th best record in the East.

Last edited:
Last year we were 11 - 29 when we won our 11th game.

This year we are 11 - 13. Given that we?re doing it with a lot of the same guys, pretty hard to not be impressed with Thibs and his staff.

mafra

Legend
A weekend afternoon game always a struggle for NYK, but coach had them ready and the played with energy all game.

POR has been on a roll lately, evening winning in PHI last game without DL & CJ. With DL and Jones returning, I didn?t like our chances...

But, again, this team is proving they are moving out of bottom feeder status and now residing in averageville.

Randle was best player. Controlled the game. Mitch and RJ continues to grow. EP with another solid game, and this came against a legit, all star PG!

Thibbs is the PG whisperer, but I do believe NY will bring in a Rose type to replace EP at deadline. He would have to play like this consistently for the next 10-15 games to avoid that move...

Even so, they may have a bigger trade in mind. But, he probably just played Frank and DSJ off the roster

mafra

Legend
EP had 22 points on 19 shots.... let?s see if NYK can keep momentum going and beat MIA tomorrow.

After all, only 2 teams have more than 2 Ls than we have

BTW... Randle now shooting 40% from downtown. What?s the unicorn doing lately? Julius Caesar Randle is shooting 81% from FT and averaging 22.6 ppg, 10.9 rebounds and 6 assists a game!

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Well, it took Thibs 24 games to find a non-defensive team (Blazers) the Knicks 5 starters could outscore 3 quarters of the game. Yes! This WIN goes to the Knicks 5 starters, plus 6th Man Burks. The majority of playing-time minutes went to Thibs 6-Man Rotation.
Thibs had no minutes or interest in formatting the 2nd unit lineup of Quickley & Obi tonight. SAD! Because Knox & Obi deserve double digit playing-time minute.

Our old friend Melo had a poor night on offense/defense, Melo needed the 30 FG shots to score 20 pts, that all our ex-Knicks head coaches used to give to Melo as the Knicks first option. Plus our old friend Kanter's poor paint defense gave up a lot of inside scoring to the Knicks for 34 minute tonite.

pat

Starter
Thibs had no minutes or interest in formatting the 2nd unit lineup of Quickley & Obi tonight. SAD! Because Knox & Obi deserve double digit playing-time minute.

Exactly we can only win if Elfrid is punching above his weight. That's not good.