home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Atlanta HawksNew York Knicks
Brandon Goodwin - Minor respiratory condition (OUT)Nerlens Noel - Ankle (QUEST)
Cam Reddish - Right Achilles soreness (OUT)Mitchell Robinson - Foot surgery (OUT)

Game Preview

Trae Young memorably put his finger to his lips to hush the crowd at Madison Square Garden on Sunday after delivering a silencer of a go-ahead basket with 0.9 seconds remaining of the fourth quarter.

Young is back on Broadway for an encore on Wednesday when the Atlanta Hawks visit the New York Knicks for Game 2 of their Eastern Conference first-round series.

The third-year guard gleefully quieted the salty crowd on Sunday by recording 32 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds in the Hawks' 107-105 victory.

"Game 2, as I've said to our guys, is going to be even crazier. The intensity is going to go up a lot. We have to be ready for that," Atlanta coach Nate McMillan said. "I didn't know if I was really hearing what they were saying. I hadn't heard that in an arena before, not from the whole building.

"I thought Trae did a good job of blocking out the noise, which you have to do. ... It didn't seem like it impacted him at all. He was able to stay focused on what he had to do out there on the floor and able to get a win."

Young scored 13 points during the fourth quarter to highlight the Hawks' spirited surge.

Atlanta made 5-of-7 shots from 3-point range in the final quarter, with Bogdan Bogdanovic making 3-of-4 from beyond the arc. Bogdanovic drained a critical 3-pointer with 55 seconds remaining to forge a tie at 103.

"That fourth quarter, the scoring, the lead went back and forth and I thought our guys did a good job of just staying with it on both ends of the floor, not really showing a panic or anything like that," McMillan said. "I thought they showed poise and control and did a good job of finishing that fourth quarter. ... I have seen, or continue to see, growth in this team."

Young was the talk of the town after his postseason debut. New York's Julius Randle found himself on the defensive after his performance on the grand stage.

He made 6-of-23 shots for 15 points in Game 1 after averaging 37.3 points, 12.3 rebounds and 6.7 assists in three regular-season games against the Hawks.

"I'm not making no excuses," Randle said. "I've got to be better, and I will be better. I'll just leave it at that."

RJ Barrett wasn't much better following a 6-of-15 performance for 14 points.

Alec Burks, however, scored 18 of his team-leading 27 points in the fourth quarter.

New York could be tasked with shuffling its lineup after center Nerlens Noel sustained an ankle injury in the fourth quarter of the opener. Taj Gibson and Norvel Pelle would be in line for more playing time if Noel is unable to play on Wednesday.

The Knicks have a lineup decision involving starting point guard Elfrid Payton, who missed all three shots he attempted and did not score in his first career playoff game. Coach Tom Thibodeau dodged a direct question on Monday as to whether Frank Ntilikina or another option could get the start for Game 2.

"We have to make some corrections and be ready for Game 2," Thibodeau said.

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Expecting Randle to pour 50 tonight after earning the Most Improved Player trophy.

tiger0330

Legend
Thats a joke, starting Ntilikina at PG after how Trae scored so easily on him on that last possession. Rather have DRose start to match up with Trae and then let him or EP come in when they sub out for Trae. I was thinking that Noel would be a huge loss if he couldn't go tonight, I think he could be a better help defender on Trae than Taj on the PnR.

I have faith in our guys. Every time we?ve been on the ropes, this team has battled back. Need this one tonight.

Let?s go Knicks!!!!

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm still waiting for Thibs to squeeze 12 to 14 minute of playing-time for Frank in our game rotation.
That may not happen giving MIP allstar Randle 40 min to run the point, and Barrett 36 min to chill as a wing.
DRose are more relax coming off the bench as a scoring combo-guard sharing the PG duties with Burks and rookie Quickley in the 2nd unit lineup.

After losing the first postseason game at Home, we are expecting Thibs to make some changes.
If Thibs didn't make any changes from the regular season performance in the first postseason game, I doubt Thibs make any changes in the 2nd postseason game. Randle will remain the 40 minute facilitator throughout the series.
The Knicks look like they needed a old-school PF in their lineup to protect the paint from Trae Young's speedy slashing through the lane. Noel & Taj at the center position could use help on defense when opponents switching force them away from the paint.
We are gonna need Noel defense tonite for Capella & Collins inside scoring, and offensive rebounds.
Lets Go Knicks !!!

KingCharles34

All Star
I agree with @mafra. We cant treat Trae like hes Steph Curry on the perimeter because hes not Steph Curry, not even Seth

I would definitely start my man Frankie Smokes. But i would probably only play him 13 minutes and give Rose 35 minutes

Get Payton the heck out of there!! I hope i never see him in a Knicks uniform again

I don?t like all this talk of crowd taunting Trae Young. That never works. It only ever motivates other teams? star players.

Let?s go Payton! He is going all out harassing Young on D the full length of the court. Like the energy from a struggling player.

Kiyaman

Legend
I agree with @mafra. We cant treat Trae like hes Steph Curry on the perimeter because hes not Steph Curry, not even Seth

I would definitely start my man Frankie Smokes. But i would probably only play him 13 minutes and give Rose 35 minutes

Get Payton the heck out of there!! I hope i never see him in a Knicks uniform again

The Problems not Payton, or Frank .... Its Randle acting like he's the Knicks 40 min PG on every offensive possession.
I applaud DRose for not wanting to be in the starter lineup with PG-Randle.

mafra

Legend
7 points in 6 minutes. Same start as game 1, and the entire world is wondering why EP continues to start?

They?re basically choking. Playing some of their worst basketball all year. Either they wake up and get it together or they don?t. Hawks don?t seem at all phased by the pressure.

KingCharles34

All Star
The Problems not Payton, or Frank .... Its Randle acting like he's the Knicks 40 min PG on every offensive possession.
I applaud DRose for not wanting to be in the starter lineup with PG-Randle.
I do think Payton is part of the problem. If he was a more skilled and assertive point guard Randle wouldnt have as many opportunities to live out his dreams of being a point guard lol. But i respect your opinion!

Not going to lie. I?m pretty embarrassed by this effort. Huerter throwing down a fast break dunk on us like that. Unacceptable. Just go home now if this is all this team is going to bring.

KingCharles34

All Star
Not going to lie. I’m pretty embarrassed by this effort. Huerter throwing down a fast break dunk on us like that. Unacceptable. Just go home now if this is all this team is going to bring.

I agree. I forgot who it was but someone i was listening to on the radio pointed out how we played harder then other teams during the season but now that its playoffs the game has slowed down and all these teams are giving their max effort

It made me think of how the Celtics up until the last year won alot of games by outworking other teams but werent quite as great in the playoffs

The effort is frustrating but win or lose, at least the teams finally heading in the right direction after all these years