What the heck is Isiah doing?????

mdelton

Rookie
I have to ask, what the heck is Isiah Thomas doing? Why is he courting the likes of Strom Swift and Kwame Brown?????????????

Both of these players have great potetnial, but have failed to lived up to it. Would Jerry West be willing to let Swift go if he was that good. Would Washinton let a 7 footer in Brown go if he was any good? Both of these players have what we call, potential. Keep in mind that if potential were as drug then every GM in the league would be in rehab.

I loved and applauded his first moves when he joined the Knicks. Let's recap:

Trade several previously untradable and un-exciting players (Ward, Eisley and a total bust in Marcel Lampe) to get Marbury (while not perfect he was a major improvement). And Even Penny gave us some good time off the bench.

Traded Van horn for T. Thomas and Mohammed, the main objective was Mohammed (god move).

Sign and trade for Jamal Crawford (I also like this move)

Why would you trade Mohammed (our one true center) for Malik Rose, who I do love for his locker room leadership and attitude. We also got a draft choice in the process. Now I would not question this trade except that we just traded our best front court player K. Thomas for Quentin Richardson. I like RIchardson, but I am concerend about our front court or lack there of one. So we trade K. thomas and we are looking at Swift and Brown????? Big mistake. Just more playters looking to get overpaid by New York.

Also, I like the pick of Channing Frye a lot. But let's not get carried away, he is not and never will be Patrick Ewing. He is a good offensive big man, but and I say but, is questionable. How does a 6 11" guy who is that good, only pull down 7.6 rebounds a game????? Reminds me a lot of a guy named Raef LaFrentz. Hopefully Frye is better, but if you think he is our savior or a player we can build around you are sorely mistaken.

If I was Thomas (Isiah) I would get Houston off the books with the new CBA one time exception. And I would let T. Thomas and Penny's deal expire after this year and come off the books. That will take about $45MM per year off the books.

his

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
i completely agree. the only move that really upset me was the Taylor move. that was pretty boneheaded, even if he felt that it would give us temporary help off the bench. I don't mind the Nazr deal b/c it gives us trading flexibility (with the pick) and a player in Rose that gives us playoff-experience and veteran leadership.

the IDEAL way to go would be to find a way to trade for Magloire. But that's simply not reality. Personally, I think Isiah is, and should be, looking to deal Sweetney and JYD. Why? B/c theyre are most valuable trading pieces right now -- and yes, I realize that's not saying much. But it's the truth. Taylor COULD be traded, but I think his salary is just too big (+9 Mill) for teams to take him on. I think you'll see Isiah pull in a PF or C and S & T them using those 2. I think he'll also take advantage of the MLE to sign a guy like Jerome James.

But that's all speculation. But again, I gotta agree. With Frye likely starting, you almost HAVE TO go after a more experienced, aggressive Big man. Frye is more like a Rasheed Wallace. We need our Ben Wallace down low as an intimidator and physical presence...

mdelton

Rookie
You referred to JYD. Who is that?

I agree that Sweetney is a good trading pawn right now. I think he should be traded becasue he is good, but he is limited due to his size he is like a poor mans Elton Brand and a better version of Tractor Trayler. So he will be good but never great and awlays limited by his 6 8 height and 270 lbs.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
JYD = Junkyard Dog = Jerome Williams

Who we trade has alot to do with the direction Isiah REALLY wants us to go in the coming months.

ny3nyk

Rotation player
yea i dont think any team wants any part of mo taylor because of his ugly salary. but trading jyd would be a tough pill to swallow although i agree on using sweets as a trading pawn. he has been doing pretty good and it would dissapointing if he has a breakout season next year with another team. btw, what are some players u think that are likely to come to ny this offseason?

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Well, I'm assuming that Marbury is staying, despite the rumors:

I wouldn't mind going after Walker and James, and getting rid of JYD, Sweets, and next year's San An 1st in the process.

But again, it might be better in the long run to trade Steph, but realistically, I just don't see it happening...

Blumatic

Rotation player
I wouldn't look at Channings rebouds as a dissapointment. He is grabbing 7.6 rebounds is a 40 minute game. If he played a 48 minute game he would average a double-double.

mdelton

Rookie
I don't see Steph getting trade either. Unless we again want to make another bad deal and take on players with bloated contracts and past their prime. Not that I really care how big the Knick's payroll is (they can aford it) but it gives us less trading flexibility.
I think we ought to ride it out the next three years with Steph. In the next two years $45MM drops off the cap, a year later Steph's deal is done. If we have Steph we still can filed a competitive team and hopefully make the playoffs (1st round, I don't expect us to go further) while we rebuild.
My concern is that Isiah does not really have a rebuilding plan.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
JYD is being paid a little bit more than MLE type money, and he has 2 years left, with the 3rd being a team option.

He's the most tradeable of our PF's after Sweetney. After him there's Taylor...

And ya, I just don't see Starbury being dealt, for better or worse...

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
I feel Taylor can put up 20 pts a game easily if he stays out of foul trouble and gets enough playing time. Hopefully they will work on his defense this offseason.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
dasilva1079 said:
I feel Taylor can put up 20 pts a game easily if he stays out of foul trouble and gets enough playing time. Hopefully they will work on his defense this offseason.

lol...dude, you obviously are in fantasy world. you do realize that taylor is a 7 year veteran right?

teach him defense? -- ya, maybe 6 years ago.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
I don't care who the player is; everyone could improve an aspect of their game with hard work...even if you are a center and want to learn how to dribble, if you work hard enough it can be learned. So why not Taylor learn how to play defense better, we got a bunch of assistant coaches that could help him out, all it would take is some will power from his part and who knows, maybe at his other team they didn't want to put the time into teaching him D, maybe all they wanted was scoring.