Jackie Butler signs with Spurs

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Rough times, the Spurs offered Jackie a $7,000,000 contract for three years. The Knicks can still keep him if they match the offer in 7 days. Although i don't think money is an issue for NY, $7 million is pretty much.
What would you do in his place? San Antonio lost both centers.. jackie might catch the lineup. Would you go play alongside Tim Duncan or you'd prefer to start behind Curry and James?

http://www.knicksonline.com/headlines/day/2006/07/13/
http://www.knicksonline.com/news.php/full/57.html

Last edited:

Finesse

Benchwarmer
If I’m Butler, I go to San Antonio. He gets to play alongside Duncan and possibly challenge for the title. He’s an automatic starter there, and the Knicks can’t afford to not start Curry, they’d look bad. I hope Butler decides to stay, but I doubt he will. Hell, he’d gain a million games in the standings just by signing the contract!!

hoop115

Benchwarmer
Butler has already signed the offer sheet from San Antonio...meaning that he HAS already decided which team he wants to play for. The only way we can keep him is if Dolan decides to pony up more cash and match his offer sheet.

I'm certain that Dolan has Isaiah on a short leash at the moment when it comes to adding more salary to our current roster.

Even so I think we Dolan shoud do it. $7MM for three years is much at all compared to the other bloated contracts. That is still a bargain if you compare to Jerome James whose contract is for $24MM for the next four years. Butler has been more productive, has more upside and is 10 years younger than Jerome James!!!

Trin_Starr

Starter
If Jerome can get his fat @$$ into shape, then it's ok for butler to leave....
He's a young talent, but we have our frontcourt set for the next 7years
Lee/Frye/Curry

i hope JJ comes in ready for next season!

NYKnicks15

Starter
I told you I wont be buying a Jerome James jersey Chris ;)
This doesnt mean he is gone by the way, it just means he wants to see if we throw more money at him. Expect us to match it.. but not pay anything past that.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Isiah Thomas is having second thoughts on matching the three-year, $7 million offer sheet Jackie Butler received from the San Antonio Spurs.
According to sources, Thomas is surprised that the center, who is entering his second season, managed to secure a contract that dwarfs the $900,000 the Knicks offered him. The same source said there is a "50-50 chance" that Butler won't return. Thomas has until Wednesday to match the offer.
The Knicks already have 14 players under contract, and Thomas is finding it hard to justify signing Butler for $7 million when he could be the team's third-string center behind Eddy Curry and Jerome James.

http://www.knicksonline.com/teaser/5326/isiah-now-thinking-butler-doesnt-do-it.html

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I'm torn on this. Part of me feels he is not worth the money but when you compare that to what JJ gets, it is almost a bargain. I think Butler can add more to NY becasue of JJ's attitude and lack of conditioning. Would 7 mil over the next 3 years really put the Knicks over the top??? I think I would pull the trigger on this, if he doesn't work out at least it is relativly cheap compared to the other busts on the team.

portega1968

El Cacique
I'd rather have Butler than James, but let's face it, we're stuck with James 'cause no one is gonna take him.

Therefore, let Butler get some starting minutes down in San Antonio and a chance for a championship...

Let Isiah choose between Qyntel or that Miller kid, who is a center with a beautiful stroke from downtown (reminds me of Doleac). Qyntel is a good player, but we have way too many choices at that spot.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Miller? Why? He can shoot away from the basket, but doesnt block shots.. hmm sounds familiar. We dont need another Frye.. we need a shotblocker if anything down low.

Let Butler go and sign Ariza. By deadline all will be worked out and the SF/SG positions will be where they should be.

nba_fan

Rookie
Well signing Butler is more then the 7 million over 3 years....with the knicks so far over the luxury cap ...they would have to pay dollar for dollar for every dollar they are over the cap...so matching San Antonio's offer would cost them double the amount....

14 million for a 3rd string center ( even though he is there best center )

but we know cuz of Curry he cant start....if you look at the espn numbers for Jackie Bulter they are amazing....it made them wonder why they traded for curry when they had someone better then curry per minute...

makes me wonder too

now we will loose him cuz we are so far over the cap

Trin_Starr

Starter
it's official - jackie is now with the spurs.

I swear JJ better get his @$$ into shape - or else the fans will rain down boos on him worse than what TT received!!!

Allen

Benchwarmer
I can't believe that we let Jackie Butler go and we are stuck with Jerome James.

It was an absolute mistake to have signed James. We should have gone after Desanga Diop instead and he wouldn't have eaten all of our MLE.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
Allen said:
I can't believe that we let Jackie Butler go and we are stuck with Jerome James.

It was an absolute mistake to have signed James. We should have gone after Desanga Diop instead and he wouldn't have eaten all of our MLE.

i completely agree. the mavs weren't even in the picture until we dropped out of the market for him and signed james instead. diop is cheaper, younger, more upside and already contributes more than jerome james does.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
The New York Knicks have decided not to match the Spurs’ three-year, $7 million offer to restricted free agent Jackie Butler, a Knicks’ spokesman said Wednesday.

The Spurs have yet to officially hear from the Knicks or the NBA.

The Spurs also have not heard from the Denver Nuggets, who have until Thursday to match an offer for restricted free agent Francisco Elson.

Both Butler and Elson are centers.

Source: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA071906.butler.EN.203c608.html

New York and San Antonio have made some interesting decisions since isiah thomas, i wouldn't be surprised to hear the big news later today..

Later edit

In a rare show of fiscal prudence, the Knicks have decided to part with the reserve center Jackie Butler rather than match an offer made by the San Antonio Spurs.

The Spurs last week signed Butler, a restricted free agent, to a three-year, $7 million deal. The Knicks announced yesterday that they would not match the offer. The team did not elaborate on its decision.

So the Knicks’ first roster move of the summer was a subtraction, not an addition — an indication of a new, conservative approach.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/20/sports/basketball/20knicks.html

Last edited:
Good for Butler, bad for Knicks. Butler will be starter for contender and we have 5M/Year fat boy on the bench as a option for garbage minutes. Past stupidity wont disappear. I hope we wont make that stupid moves in future (eg. some sign and trade deal for wilcox)

NYKnicks15

Starter
totally agree. people on here like to overhype want to overpay Wilcox. He's not as great as you make him seem.

Same with Butler. He's good I like him. Would I rather have him over James OF COURSE who wouldnt. But he's just a scoring big man. Doesnt really block or demand presence on the post. I'm not trashing him as he's a hella of a lot better than James. But we are stuck with James so accept it. Lets move on about how we shoulnt have signed him. WE ALL GET THAT POINT. But he is signed and thats how it is. Jackie's a talent but its not the end of the damn world.

In other news options are getting limited for Denver and they are feeling forced to get rid of Isiah to the Knicks for Steve Francis. We wont give up Frye and rightfully so. Curry/Frye. Martin/Lee. Good rotation. And we get rid of Francis and still have pawns to play with.

Curry/Frye/James
Martin/Lee/Rose/Taylor
Rose/Balkman
Crawford/Richardson
Marbury/Robinson/Collins

I like it. Marbury and Craw were a good backcourt together. And we still have two big expiring contracts. The MLE.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Even though I like the depth chart after the trade...I don't want to trade francis until I know he can't fit into our system. Can you imagine starbury and the franchise in a run and gun offense!? This might be a espn highlight real every night. Both are excellent in the open court and combined they'll avg about 16-17 free throws as a duo. This is what we need...hopefully isiah will attempt to use this backcourt before he trades francis away...