Its Offical, Wizards will let Jeffries go

WillieT

Rookie
Thanks for taking Jeffries

As a Wiz fan, I've watched Jeffries for 4 years. Would have liked to keep him for team continuity, but he is not the great player Isiah would have you believe. His one great talent is guarding on the perimeter... but that doesn't make him a great defender. While he can pester wing players, great defensive players (Rodman, Wallace) also rebound and make steals... Jeffries does neither. On offense, he has no jump shot - so he doesn't stretch the D - and is a lousy foul shooter. He alsio has difficulty controlling his body when he jumps, making him an erratic inside and transition player and every lay-up a literal hail Mary. When he's only the floor, you'll have 4 offensive players and he'll put one missed shot back per game. 30 million is a lot to pay for a perimeter defender with no offense. He's also a burgeoning malcontent complaining his way outta a DC market that has done nothing but show him the love since he's been here. He's a nice 'part', but no saviour.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I like the signing but I don't think he is the "savior" of the Knicks. I don't think anyone in this forum thinks that either. The Knicks need a player that is not an offensive minded player. Jefferis will be on the floor with 4 other guys that have that kind of game so I feel he will be a nice contrast. Did the Knicks over pay? Probably, but that is the trend in the NBA these days and NY needs all the help they can get. I will be happy if there is a player on the floor who will guard the perimeter! I hope Isiah will make another move with the 2 expiring contracts to bring in a defensive minded 4 as well. I read that NY and Portland are in trade talks to send QR for Miles. If that happens I will like that move as well. Again, a guy who plays D who can also take to the rim. Again, not a great shooter but the Knicks are filled with these types of players.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Your welcome

WillieT said:
As a Wiz fan, I've watched Jeffries for 4 years. Would have liked to keep him for team continuity, but he is not the great player Isiah would have you believe. His one great talent is guarding on the perimeter... but that doesn't make him a great defender. While he can pester wing players, great defensive players (Rodman, Wallace) also rebound and make steals... Jeffries does neither. On offense, he has no jump shot - so he doesn't stretch the D - and is a lousy foul shooter. He alsio has difficulty controlling his body when he jumps, making him an erratic inside and transition player and every lay-up a literal hail Mary. When he's only the floor, you'll have 4 offensive players and he'll put one missed shot back per game. 30 million is a lot to pay for a perimeter defender with no offense. He's also a burgeoning malcontent complaining his way outta a DC market that has done nothing but show him the love since he's been here. He's a nice 'part', but no saviour.

Enjoy DeShawn and his under motivated game.

thwax

Benchwarmer
We don't need a savior, we have too many already, we have more than enough talented offensive minded players to carry the team... JJ is a good role player, who plays D, and up to 4 positions (mainly SF, and a bit of PF at 6'11)... why do you think we draft Balkman as he as Isiah did... needed a role player who doesn't need touches but plays good D

Did we overpay, probably but as earlier said, that's the current market... I'd rather overpay J. Jeffries thans J.James!!!

Toons

is the Bo$$
do we get stevensoon too? i like his game....do you guys think francis could get back to the franchise any time soon? or is he long gone

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
Toons said:
do we get stevensoon too? i like his game....do you guys think francis could get back to the franchise any time soon? or is he long gone

theres no need for stevenson and for francis, i dont know wats wrong wit em, something is wrong wit em mentally, i heard the knicks is teaching em how to shoot, and if u see old clips of francis, he use to have an arche on his shot, now he dont...i think he needs mobley

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
There isn't a need for francis but we have nothing to lose with him. Anyone we trade for him is going to be under his value. I say we let his contract run out and the worse that can happen is he becomes the back up 1 or 2 and gives a 14 ppg off the bench as a 6th man.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
The 1 and Only said:
There isn't a need for francis but we have nothing to lose with him. Anyone we trade for him is going to be under his value. I say we let his contract run out and the worse that can happen is he becomes the back up 1 or 2 and gives a 14 ppg off the bench as a 6th man.

thats the problem, he dont want to come off the bench, just to state out of subject, the knicks have 5 contracts expiring by the end of 2008/2009 not including jerome williams, anderson, and houston..Marbury, francis, maurice taylor, jalen and malik rose expire by the end of 2008/2009, isnt that the year bosh, wade and lebron contract expire??

Last edited:

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Is he a savior? Of course not. But there are things to like. Defensive minded. Can defend three positions. 6 rebounds / 1.2 blocks (last year's playoffs) is not bad for a SF. Frye, Lee, and Jeffries are a solid core for the forward rotation. The big question is who is your 4th forward (Malik, Maurice, or Renaldo)? I would guess that the 4th forward will depend upon matchups and gametime needs. This allows Quentin and Jalen to compete for SG time (which is where they belong). I do not buy the gargbage that either Stephon or Steve are SGs anyway, so Jamaal needs a backup. As always, everything really depends upon whether Eddie and Jerome can get in shape. If they do, this team could look much better, if they don't they will really miss JackieB.