What Key trade or Trades can be made this off season?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I was responding to a post in another thread when I decided to start a thread posting what I think would be some key moves that the Knicks could make that would really turn them around.
1) Trade Curry and Crawford to Indiana for O'Neil (and what ever other player to meet the salary) and look to trade Lee (see if they would take JJ as well) to Washington for Eaton Thomas. Start Eaton at Center with O'Neil at the 4, bring in Frye off the bench to play both the 4 and the 5. I think that would be an awesome tandem! Frye could give O'Neil more rest than he has been getting in Indiana, so he can healthier come the playoffs and since they kind of have similar offensive styles, I feel it would keep a consistency at the 4 spot. He could also spot in at the 5 as well, especially when the Knicks play smaller, run and gun teams.
This would give the Knicks the front court that they desperately need. Plus, it would put players together that compliment each other instead of stepping on each other.
2) Trade for Ruben Patterson or sign him to the mid. I think that his defense on the perimeter is much needed. If you can trade for Patterson, Sign Anderson Varejao with the mid. He is a 7 ft defender. So you would have O'Neil, Eaton, Frye and Varejao at any given time in the paint. You would have Richardson, Jeffreys, Patterson and Balkman at the 3 and 2 (Patterson and Balkman). Steph, Collins and Robinson and the 1.

If the Knicks can't win with this line up, Isiah should be tared and feathered!!

Last edited:

Trin_Starr

Starter
I don't think Isiah will ever trade Curry at least when he is GM.

He will definitely go after J O'neal strong this offseason. Frye, Nate and JC being the major trade pawns.
If O'neal can stay healthy - he would be the perfect compliment for Curry - a rebounding PF, who blocks shots and hits the outside J

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I definitely see Isiah going after J. O'neil and I think there is a possibility we would get him for Frye, Robinson and one other player.

If we can't get O'neil, I think Artest is another possibility.

Either way, I think both players would dramatically improve the Knicks. It would be my dream if we could land both, but I know that's impossible. Come On Isiah!!! Work some offseason magic!!

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
artest would be the difference maker for this team, i dont know about jermaine cuz i dont see em passing the ball into curry, artest would be great for this team

i would trade this offseason:

malik rose(i think he a expiring contract), channing frye and a second round pick for artest and francisco garcia

and theres no way david lee would be traded for eaton thomas, that would be pretty dumb and anderson varego is not 7 ft tall

and wit isiahs drafting i see something good coming, so dont boo isiah

paris401

Starter
artest would be the difference maker for this team, i dont know about jermaine cuz i dont see em passing the ball into curry, artest would be great for this team

malik rose(i think he a expiring contract), channing frye and a second round pick for artest and francisco garcia

and theres no way david lee would be traded for eaton thomas, that would be pretty dumb and anderson varego is not 7 ft tall

malik has '3' years left on his contract.. makes him tough to trade.

as to oneal he will make 19.7m, so 'if' indy trades him, that puts them in a rebuilding mode (i think they are already in it, they just don't know it yet) , so they will want young guys. exactly how do we give them 19.7m in salary???

and please don't say burger-king james, or stevie or jefferies, cause there is only one really stupid gm in the nba and he resides in new york...

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I'm not going to say I told you so...but uh, who's bright idea was it to trade Curry for Okur?? Look at him now...the Rockets have Chuck Hayes shutting him down...again the guy is poor in every category except shooting. But again I can get a 2 guard to do that. My thumbs up are Ben Gordon, Barbosa, monta ellis, chuck hayes (another effort player) Hedo Turk, and Maurice Evans for the lakers. The chances of landing most of these guys in a trade are slim but nothing is impossible with the likes of Zeke as GM. I'd love to get Rashard Lewis in a knick uniform but we're giving up picks if we're going to get him. I say we trade our draft pick, Frye, Morris, Nate for either a higher draft pick and a vet or for a strong aspect role player. We really don't need any more draft picks. We already have enough youngsters that can't play because we have vets that are better. We have a couple of more years before another roster turnover since marbury, francis, etc. aren't getting any older. Offseason is here and it's time for some action...only to get better of course...no trading to just shake things up...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

You right about Varejo, he's 6 10 but he's still a good defender. I don't think it is dumb to trade Lee for Eaton! Eaton can play great D as well and he can body up guys. Lee, while he has become a very good rebounder, he is not a good defender... There's a difference! If we can make Washington take JJ with Lee, I think the trade is worth it. Artest would be a great addition but the Knicks weakest point is the front court. Actually, defensively they are week all around but if we can solidify the 5 and 4 spot with guys that can bang, the knicks have plenty of out side shooters to keep the other team honest.

metrocard

Legend
I don't think Isiah will ever trade Curry at least when he is GM.

He will definitely go after J O'neal strong this offseason. Frye, Nate and JC being the major trade pawns.
If O'neal can stay healthy - he would be the perfect compliment for Curry - a rebounding PF, who blocks shots and hits the outside J

O'Neil is too good to compliment Curry.

BTW, Lee's defense isn't that bad at all. He has to guard two people most of the time cause Curry is so robotic and slow on D.

I would love Varejao for this team.

I think that this is the summer that the knicks sit put and they should. If we really want to see this team "gel" and live up to it's expectations, then we need to let the players we have just play together, I think Jermaine Oneil may sound a little better on paper than would turn out to be. Isiah doesn't need to make a move until maybe the trade deadline next year, but for now the players we do have need to work on their weaknesses and just continue to learn each other

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
i kinda agree with you... but i do think we should try to get either an athletic 3 if we can (gerald wallace)... or a defensive force upfront (diop)... if not... i say ride it out with this crew...