Knicks Need a PF? But who???

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
Now that Greg Oden is going to Portland, Zach Randolph is finished as a Blazer. does anyone here think he'd be a good fit for us? I like O'Neal. Garnett is out of our reach. Francis and randolph are close salary wise that they could be traded for straught across as a 1 for 1. Now my question is if you're IT, do you pursue this? The only draw back is Randolph has 2 years extra on his deal at 33 Mil. He doesn't block shots, but here are his other stats from this season.

Zach Randolph
Season Team G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
06-07 POR 68 67 35.7 .467 .292 .819 2.9 7.2 10.1 2.2 0.8 0.2 3.16 2.70 23.6

Pros: Great footwook, plays well with his back to the basket, lateral quickness, has a jumper, rebounds well.

Cons: Sometimes selfish an considered "hard to coach", plays defense when he feels like it, not a great passer.

So have your say and weigh in.

Last edited:

Trin_Starr

Starter
I think while he puts up great individual numbers, I feel his high TO rate will kill us. Curry already averages close to 4 and randolph has 3 - the frontcourt would be way to turnover prone.
Not to mention his, poor attitude -
I think the knicks should pass on him.

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
randolph wont leave, he was one of their best players.

Oden will need some help up front in his rookie year. But I really like what portland have done with themselves. They have some of the best young talent.

pg - brandon roy
pf/c - lamarcus aldridge
pf/c - (greg oden/kevin durant)

watch out for them. So knicks got the 23 pick, not sure who we can get with that

LJ4ptplay

Starter
We don't need Randolph. We need a defensive minded PF that can block shots, rebound, and doesn't demand the ball to be effective. We need Camby dammit!!!

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
The thing I like about the squad we have now is that most of the long term contracts are for good players like Crawford, Curry, Baulkman ext. I think we should stay the course. In 09 we could really make a run for an all-star. Randolph is allot like much of our team, one dimensional. I don't see why we can't keep Frye if he rebounds and blocks more shots.

FameMos

Benchwarmer
The thing I like about the squad we have now is that most of the long term contracts are for good players like Crawford, Curry, Baulkman ext. I think we should stay the course. In 09 we could really make a run for an all-star. Randolph is allot like much of our team, one dimensional. I don't see why we can't keep Frye if he rebounds and blocks more shots.

I'm also sum1 who wants 2 keep Frye. IMO i think Frye will avg. 20ppg, 10reb, 2blks in his career i don't see ynot. He's 7'0 (reb) and if i'm not mistaken, didn't he come outta college known 4 his shot blocking ability (one of the reasons Knicks drafted him). And if u haven't noticed, he's worked on his post game and i just believe, if u give him 2-3 yrs and PT he'll be an All Star. But I have a feeling that the Knicks will give him away and when they do he will be GOOD and the Knicks will regret it @ the end of the day when they trade him 4 O'neal :barf:

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I was always for Frye but if a deal came along that fits our need for a defensive PF, I'm always for it. But Frye is an excellent talent. Some people thinks he soft which is ignorant since the only thing he can really do in this offense is pick and pop because Eddy blocks off the entire paint from posting up. Frye is one of our best jump shooters, he has a post game (left and right hook, can turn left or right for a turnaround jumper, reverse pivot, etc.), at times he can rebound when given consistent playing time, can block shots, and he consistent when given the opportunity. I say we keep him unless we have a chance at KG...

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
the knicks need a PF who can play good Defense and have good passing abilities and shoot from 15 -20 foot jumpers, only person who comes to mind is KG, if the lakers still want to trade odom for fyre, go for it

FameMos

Benchwarmer
I completly agree. I would trade Frye 4 3 players (who could be traded)right now 1. Garnett 2. Ray Allen 3. Artest I believe Artest would be alright as far as his temper and all that other stuff plus he gives us toughness and he might get in Curry's face if he aint playin hard which is exactly what Curry needs (kick in the behind)

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
I would like to keep Frye. I have a terrible feeling that he will get dealt unfortunately as well. I think he has similarities to Chris Bosh. When Bosh entered the L, everyone questioned his heart and toughness. Now he's an All Star. I think Frye can be an excellent weak side shot blocker. He does have to bring more enthusiasm, and not get so down on himself. He has to prove to himself he's capable of contributing on a nightly basis.

metrocard

Legend
david-lee-interview-20060103001044254-000-000.jpg

We don't need a PF. Lee has potential to be good defensively. Balkman is great defensively on help defense and position defense. Collins, Richardson, and Marbury are excellent perimeter defenders too.

We need Curry to step up defensively, or just leave New York. We don't need his one dementional play for the next 4 years.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Now that Greg Oden is going to Portland, Zach Randolph is finished as a Blazer. does anyone here think he'd be a good fit for us? I like O'Neal. Garnett is out of our reach. Francis and randolph are close salary wise that they could be traded for straught across as a 1 for 1. Now my question is if you're IT, do you pursue this? The only draw back is Randolph has 2 years extra on his deal at 33 Mil. He doesn't block shots, but here are his other stats from this season.

Zach Randolph
Season Team G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
06-07 POR 68 67 35.7 .467 .292 .819 2.9 7.2 10.1 2.2 0.8 0.2 3.16 2.70 23.6

Pros: Great footwook, plays well with his back to the basket, lateral quickness, has a jumper, rebounds well.

Cons: Sometimes selfish an considered "hard to coach", plays defense when he feels like it, not a great passer.

So have your say and weigh in.

I have said in earlier posts that Zach would be a great addition to the Knicks. If Portland is willing to take draft picks and contracts back, I say go for it and that would give us another chip to use for a major trade like Garnett, Gasol or O'Neil and allow us to keep one of young guys instead.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
Well in order to get to the upper echelon of the NBA, we need a complete starting five. Curry needs help up front, plain and simple. Anyone who thinks what I'm saying is wrong, go talk to the Chicago Bulls. They made the playoffs. Ultimately, they didn't win it all so who cares? no one owns a team to only make the playoffs, but to win the championship. The Bulls swing in the opposite direction where they need low post scoring. We need low post rebounding and shot blocking. Curry will be better. However he is going to need help.

I don't think that Portland will give us Zach for nothing. We'd definetly lose Frye or Lee.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Id have to agree with metrocard here, i dont think we need a power forward. David Lee is the man. However, I dont know if Curry will become a better defender so I think the only thing the Knicks need is a backup center capable of blocking shots and rebounding. We should had kept Mutumbo but from what I've heard mutumbo is another guy that hates isiah. It probably has something to do with the trade for Jamal crawford, I'm sure someone on here knows more about this. But the bottum line is we need a shot blocker and I'm not sure that man is channing frye. Im thinkin maybe he ccan come off the bench and backup curry and lee. I think he has a lot of potential to become a good defender cuz he moves around well for a 6'11" guy. He's got long arms and hes strong. They need to wrok hard with him during the offseason and see what hes got next year. I would trade him if hes still not doin much by the time the trade deadline comes along.

FameMos

Benchwarmer
I also agree that we don't need another bigman but we NEED a Dominant Inside Defender. We've got 1.Curry 2.Lee 3.Frye 4.Rose 5.Balkman 6.Morris 7.James 8.jefferies. Do we really need another big man???

eastlinykfan

Benchwarmer
I have said it before: "We need Drew Gooden." Getting KG or J Oneal would be nice, but we should not do it if it involves Lee or Balk; hopefully these two guys are with us for a long time. I also agree with Metro that we have Lee would I think is going to be great but next year will be his make or break year, but we also still have Frye. If we dangle Frye and Nate (or Franchise) for Gooden, IT should not hesitate and do it. Cleveland had interest in all three at one time and Gooden is exactly the type of guy we can use with Curry and Lee. Gooden could make up for our enormous lack of interior toughness/D and we could possibly get relatively cheap. In regards to the person who mentioned getting Randolph, he is exactly what we dont need! He is like Franchise in a 610 frame. Yeh the dude can score, but is he a winner/team player or does he just fill up stats..Plus he D is suspect too..If there were a list of the worst D minded big men Curry would be 1 and randolph would be number 2. Therefore, we should get Gooden or nothing b/c we will probably be getting boned in any other possible deal for a PF.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
Ok Guys, Listen, Sorry I'm Writing This All In Caps, But I Have Said This Numerous Times In Other Post And This Point Needs To Be Made.. Sean Williams Is The Next Marcus Camby... He Isman Needed For The Job... Sean Williams Is Out Of Boston College. The Guy Is A Legit 6'10 And The Only Thing He Cares About In Life Is Blocking Shots. He Averaged 5 Blocks A Game In College And The Only Reason He Is Not A Lottery Pick Is Because He Was Kicked Off Of Bc's Team... The Knicks Will Be Working Him Out And They Need To Solidfy This Guy.. There Are Other Post In This Forum Talking About Him And I Suggest You Looking Into Him, One Of Which Was Written By Me... This Is The Guy Which Will Set The Knicks Future. Now Believe Me When I Tell You That I Love Channing Frye... I Honestly Believe That He Is The Next Garnett.. Coming From A College Like Sanford, You Know He Has A Good Basketball Iq, His Rookie Year He Proved What He Could Do.. He Is The Truth, Because Of This Fact, I Believe Yhou Trade David Lee... Yes David Lee, And Yes Believe Me I Love David Lee As Well.. If Sean Williams Is Unavilable, Then Please Disregard My Statements And Keep Mr. Lee Right Where He Is, Actually, He Should Be Moved To The Starting Postion.. The Only Way To Trade David Lee Is To Get Ray Allen, And Then Thats Only After Drafting Sean Williams. Until Curry Can Prove Himself As Ashot Blocker And A Defense Stopper, Thatis Exactly What The Knicks Need... Sean Williams Will Provide Us That Option... Zeke If You Are Reading This, Try Your Best To Get This Horse And Ride His Azz To Ur Championship, F Jeffries And Thinking He Can Win Defensive Player Of The Year Some Time.. Sean Williams If Your Man Damnit

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
someone said this on another post... but Frye's game is scarily similar to Sheed's... give him some time... Randolph shares Curry's strengths AND weaknesses... a Curry/Randolph front court would have the same trouble the marbury/francis backcourt had... these guys play way too similarly... frye (mid range j, shot blocking) and lee (rebounding, energy) supply the knicks with the things curry lacks already... the ONLY position we are not set at is the SF and I think Balkman could lock that spot down next year a la DLee..