NBA Ref Shaved Points In Games!!!

youadmireme2

Benchwarmer
Hmm...

I'd like to know which ref and rewatch all the close games the Knicks lost while he was officiating. Could be interesting. There were a few times when I shouted "You're not serious!"... Hmmm

Starks

Starter
This is one blow to the league that is going to take years to overcome.

Ladies and Gents, the NBA has bottomed out.

The time is right for other basketball leagues to form. I hate to use this example, but its found in professional wrestling.

WCW started as small market promotion no one knew about until Ted Turner bought it and threw tons of money at familar WWF wrestlers. After the WWF steroid scandals, Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Bret Hart all left for WCW and blew it out of the water.

If a new league was formed I'm sure greedy-ass NBA players wouldn't think twice to join a league where they would get paid more. The first player to "jump ship" , Stephon Marbury comes to mind

Never has their been a better time for a new league. Myself, and I'm sure many others are probably sick to out stomachs after hearning about this...especially after that suspect NBA playoffs.

What do you guys think?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

The time is right for other basketball leagues to form. I hate to use this example, but its found in professional wrestling.

WCW started as small market promotion no one knew about until Ted Turner bought it and threw tons of money at familar WWF wrestlers. After the WWF steroid scandals, Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Bret Hart all left for WCW and blew it out of the water.

If a new league was formed I'm sure greedy-ass NBA players wouldn't think twice to join a league where they would get paid more. The first player to "jump ship" , Stephon Marbury comes to mind

Never has their been a better time for a new league. Myself, and I'm sure many others are probably sick to out stomachs after hearning about this...especially after that suspect NBA playoffs.

What do you guys think?

Thats as good of an idea as the XFL....

nyk_nyk

All Star
Now that was funny...

But seriously...pay the ref's more money....and bring back Joey Crawford...but this is just one bad apple...hopefully this does not turn out to be an epidemic.
Joey Crawford is probably the ref in question! He's always throwing people out of games for no good reason. Think about it.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
They need to penalize and reward the refs dependant on their performance. Have monthly reviews of a random sampling of each refs games worked. Give a score and reward for a certain number and decipline when the score is failing. Make it public and these douchebags may go from the worst officials in pro sports to halfway compitent. (they will still fuck the Knicks sp why bother :(

metrocard

Legend
8224c6b46e7e8829503f4338e94a.gif

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Let's not blow this outta proportion... it was one ref working for organized crime... same thing happened in baseball in the 20s (I think)...

besides... NBA refs work in teams of 3... it would be kinda hard for one ref to affect the outcome so badly without getting the attention of the other 2... unless the other 2 were paid off too...

i blame refs for nothing... since shitty refs exist in every sport and in every league... it's f***ked up... but it's life...

the scary part is they said these were finals games... i wonder if it was game 1 or game 4 of a sweep? maybe games six and seven from 94? lol...

Let's not blow this outta proportion... it was one ref working for organized crime... same thing happened in baseball in the 20s (I think)...

besides... NBA refs work in teams of 3... it would be kinda hard for one ref to affect the outcome so badly without getting the attention of the other 2... unless the other 2 were paid off too...

i blame refs for nothing... since shitty refs exist in every sport and in every league... it's f***ked up... but it's life...

the scary part is they said these were finals games... i wonder if it was game 1 or game 4 of a sweep? maybe games six and seven from 94? lol...

What do you guys think?

Slow down I don't think it is that serious! What's to say that this wouldn't happen again in your new proposed league? And not to mention this is not just bad for the NBA but all pro sports, I imagine the FEDS are looking into any pro sport that has an official or umpire. But I don't see this really affecting the league as bad as everyone is making it out, did the MLB go under after Pete Rose gambled on games? and that was a manager, who I feel has maybe a little more control on the outcome of a game. As fans of the game it is our job to make sure the league doesn't suffer any set backs as a result of this.

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer

Its tru, but the NBA refs are clearly one of the worst. Yes, the job is hard, but refs have no consistency,
The NFL,MLB and NHL all follow guidlines to the tee. Theres no super star treatment in those leagues (or no where near the way it is in the NBA)
Just cause other leagues refs arent great doesnt mean the refs in the nba should be the kings of poo.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Just confirmation of long standing rumors and suspicions. This is gonna get a lot bigger when the ref in question starts ratting everybody out. This is what Stern gets for worrying more about "policing" "thug" players when the real crooks were already wearing stripes.

Toons

is the Bo$$
This is what Stern gets for worrying more about "policing" "thug" players when the real crooks were already wearing stripes.

love the analogy

Toons

is the Bo$$
really tho, u can hardly compare the officiating in baseball or any other sport to that of basketball....there are so many close calls, so many fouls that i dont see until the replay is slowed down, so many blocks that were on the way down that were called goal tending that i thouhgt were clearly blocks until its in slow motion....i dont like it, and i dont think it will affect this 08 season

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
really tho, u can hardly compare the officiating in baseball or any other sport to that of basketball....there are so many close calls, so many fouls that i dont see until the replay is slowed down, so many blocks that were on the way down that were called goal tending that i thouhgt were clearly blocks until its in slow motion....i dont like it, and i dont think it will affect this 08 season

O.. it will def will affect the 08 season becuae the FBI just made a statement saying that Tim Donaghy will cooperate and possibly give up mob guy, other refs and players involved.
Imagine if Shaq or jordon (who has a gambling problem was involved?)
im sure tim will be copping a plea and ratting someone out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2945840
The part about other players and refs is in the middle of the page

Starks

Starter
This is going to be a bigger issue in the NBA than anything we've evere seen. I really have a feeling this story is just the tip of the iceberg. Even the NY Daily News are putting this story on their cover (see, "NBA KNEW!" 7.23.07)

Kudos to the NY Post for bringing this into the lime light. As much flak the Post gets, they really do have the absolute best sports in coverage in town.

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
The post is garbage. They are paparazzi whores. They love the negative media, like they really wanted to yanks to suck so they can trash them all yr. They trash the Giants, the Isles, the yanks, and the knicks. They love the Jets, Rangers, and Mets.
But they broke the bank with this one. They are good at getting sneaky information. This is one of the few times it actually does any good. Usually they do sneaky A-rod stuff, hopefully they try and stick to the real stuff and not the latter.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
This is irony. Every one thought the NBA needed protection from thugs like Artest when it's the refs that are truly bringing the league down. Do you really think this is the only ref to shave points in a game? This is no surprise to the vets and legions of the game. Think of all the questionable calls during the finals and playoffs through out the years. This is just the first guy to get caught. He needs to be brought in for charges. He needs some serious jail time or a law suite at the very least. The league needs to make an example of this guy. What's the hold up?
END HIS CAREER NOW STERN!
NOW!!!!

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
I think this is simply a case of one bad apple in the bunch to be honest. I don't think it's systematic..personally I can't picture...Ronnie Nunn, Dick Bavetta, Joey Crawford getting involved in this kind of thing. Just can't see it....as far as superstar treatment not happening in other sports...I forget who said that but it does too happen in other sports...

A-ROD, Jeter, Bonds, Griffey, Pujols....they get some calls for balls that are really strikes...or pitchers like Clemens, Hallday, Smoltz...get some calls for strikes that are balls....so it's in every sport.

In football Champ Bailey, Deion, DeAngelo Hall, those guys hold all the time..shit their is holding everytime the football is snapped...same thing with false start to get that jump on either side of the line..they don't call it because the damn game would never end.