Contracts? whats the deals?

jzero29

Rotation player
I know it doesn't look good, but exactly what is the knicks cap situation, besides screwed. I know we have a good deal of money tied up with marbury, crawford, JJames,JJefferies, Q-rich, Curry and randolph,but how much and when do they expire. I know houston retired, does his salary still count towards cap?
Anyone know the numbers? Dates, years and amounts.

Also we just aquired dickau and jones? whats their contracts?

Because Right now the knicks have a good young talent, nate, Lee,collins,nichols, chandler, Balkman. I'd like t see them develope, much like how the mets brought up reyes and wright, and then had that fantastic year. and a good year this year. i think it's a win now town, but when forced to watch young talent we cheer and pull just as hard, and the upside is higher than pulling in old washed up superstars for big money. Or overpaid bench warmers like J.James.

jzero29

Rotation player
Is that for real???

We pay malik ros 7.5 million per year? Thas barely more than crawfords 7.9 mill that increases buy about a 700,000 each year.

Dickau and jones, contract actually expires after the season. Morris also. But lets see how they play. Dickau and jones may be attractive combo packaged with crawford or someone signed long term, like one of the JJ's (j.jerome or J.Jefferies)

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
I think it's unrealistic to start thinking salary until after 08/09... or probably 09/10 season...

summer 09:
EC, Crawford, Q and JJ13 can all opt out of their contracts... EC definately will try to get a max deal from us... Q will prolly want a longer contract since it will prolly be his last big payday... so will JCraw... JJ13 will prolly have his break out year that season... so he can up his asking price again...

We have the options on Lee, Nate, 'Naldo and Collins... so if they're not reaching their potential... we can either keep them (for cheap) or move them...

If things shake out this way... our cap figure will be about 35 mil (assuming Steph really goes to Italy and Nate and Mardy are the heirs)... giving us about 30 mil to play with in free agency... we can go after Deng, Gordon, Al Jefferson, JKidd, Kristic, Devin Harris, Baron Davis, Bierdrins, or whoever...

summer '10
if no big free agents come in from '09... then we some of our money will go to Lee and Nate (restricted FAs) without us overpaying... then we get to play ball with Lebron, Dwade, Bosh...

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
I only see $88,285,521 for the 2007-2008 NBA season...whom else's salary is STILL being counted against us I am not seeing?

luxury tax doubles the amount you pay for every player over the cap... cap is about 62 mil... we're 26 mil over cap... plus 26 mil luxury tax... 117 mil in salary...

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
There it is, forgot about the damned luxury tax. Thanks.

I never think it's too early to start thinking about some of these contracts. I remember when the Bulls gave Crawford that what $55-63 million dollar deal over like 7 years or something..right before we traded for him or got him in a deal.

Right now even if you wanted to move him, you could not do it.

jzero29

Rotation player
It's a sad stat of affairs.

I only see $88,285,521 for the 2007-2008 NBA season...whom else's salary is STILL being counted against us I am not seeing?

There it is, forgot about the damned luxury tax. Thanks.

I never think it's too early to start thinking about some of these contracts. I remember when the Bulls gave Crawford that what $55-63 million dollar deal over like 7 years or something..right before we traded for him or got him in a deal.

Right now even if you wanted to move him, you could not do it.

Right now, i guess i'd rather have jamaal at 7.9 mill then steph at 20mill per. Jamaal handles the ball more in this situation, steph just watches as eddy and crawford play the two man game and cashes in at the bank. I don't really care about luxary tax, i'd just like the knicks to have some money one day to get, a stud lfree agent to compliment all the young talent the knicks have been drafting. We'd be able to move jamaal before we could move steph. I don't think you can have both, and be successful, stephs role has decreased in recent years, because of jamaals increased role in offense, Jamaal would have killed marbury in shot attempts last year, if he'd play 15 more games. Crawford and marbury don't mix, they both need ball to be sucessful. as a tandem, occasionally they go off, but they both don't produce together, one must go. I think steph is better, but if you get the shot to ditchthat contract, you have to. I know its only for two seasons so it's not so bad, getting ride of it, wouldn't put us under cap anyway. jamaal is stretched out for a couple more years. Better long term for us to ditch.

I had also looked at a different site that still had andersons,houston, jalen roses and a couple other contracts knicks no longer have. So the 117, wasn't right. I looked at the 88 mill, now they still have to sign two rookies.

Last edited:

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
If you like that you are going to love this little factoid.

Does anyone here realize for the cost of Crawford, Rose, James, and Jeffries...all combined salaries for the next 3 season including this upcoming 1...we could have had RAY ALLEN...with some left over...

Crawford $7,920,000 (2007-08) $8,640,000(2008-09)= $16,560,000
Rose $7,101,250 (2007-08) $7,647,500(2008-09)= $14,748,750
James $5,800,000(2007-08) $6,200,000(2008-09)= $12,000,000
Jeffries $5,632,200 (2007-08) $6,049,400(2008-09) $6,466,600 (2009-10)= $18,148,200

All together for these 4 players over the next 2 and 3 seasons respectively that's $ 61,456,950..

Ray Allen's contract over the next 3 seasons including this upcoming...(2007-2010) $52,165,290...

In this same span of time over 3 years we could have saved $9,291,660 dollars....

This is why I do not find Isiah Thomas to be credible. Yes I know this is 1 player vs 4....and various positions....however, Ray Allen is better than all these guys combined...and cost less than all these guys combined.

With a Marbury eventhough I'm no fan of him either...and a Curry and Randolph...U REALLY COULD'VE BEEN MAKING NOISE FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS IN THE EAST.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
yeah but everyone you mention outside of Rose was signed in the offseason... we only had the MLE which replenishes every year...

Ray Allen wasn't available 3 years ago since Seattle was in the middle of a playoff race...

so even if Ray was a free agent... we wouldn't have had the loot for him... and nobody was willing to take what we had to offer in a sign and trade for an elite player...

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
I had also looked at a different site that still had andersons,houston, jalen roses and a couple other contracts knicks no longer have. So the 117, wasn't right. I looked at the 88 mill, now they still have to sign two rookies.

so does this site include the luxury tax? I was assuming that it only counted player salary... not team expenditures... I could be wrong though...

Trin Starr... do you know for sure?

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
yeah but everyone you mention outside of Rose was signed in the offseason... we only had the MLE which replenishes every year...

Ray Allen wasn't available 3 years ago since Seattle was in the middle of a playoff race...

so even if Ray was a free agent... we wouldn't have had the loot for him... and nobody was willing to take what we had to offer in a sign and trade for an elite player...

Exactly I would not have signed any of those bums to that kind of money..I would had nobody's who weren't going to cost me a ton..until a good qual FA came into the picture.

brooklyn_baller

Benchwarmer
Well I would say that Isiah has did a good job screwing it up. But I think that Houston's contract is up. But we still got Junk Yard Dog under contract.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
From a financial point of view the Knicks should look to move Crawford, Richardson, James, Jeffries for contracts that expire with in two years. As it stands right now in two years the Knicks salary will be $58,279,523. Just at the cap. "If" we trade Crawford, Richardson, James and Jeffries for contracts expiring two years from now we'd clear $31,779,100 off the cap bringing us down to $26,500,423 in the 09/10 season. Somebody hire me as assistant GM! But this is all easier said then done. No one wants James and no one's going to give up expiring contracts for James and Jeffries. Crawford on the other hand is very tradable. I just hope now that we have all the pieces we need Thomas exercises some fiscal restraint.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Follow up

Here's how we can make that happen.

Richardson to 76ers for Andre Miller
Crawford to Sacramento for Ron Artest

Both Miller and Artest fill Knicks needs and they both have expiring contracts in 09/10. This trade will bring the Knicks salary to $39,567,023 clearing just over 18million from the cap.

Here's how we can make that happen.

Richardson to 76ers for Andre Miller
Crawford to Sacramento for Ron Artest

Both Miller and Artest fill Knicks needs and they both have expiring contracts in 09/10. This trade will bring the Knicks salary to $39,567,023 clearing just over 18million from the cap.

That seems ok. But why would the Knicks take Miller when PG is not their issue, and Philly surely would not take Richardson off surgery and have no pg back in return.

Sac town does not need a 2. They have the Martin guy on his way to being a star. They are however looking to replace Bibby. They would not take Crawfords contract.

Well I would say that Isiah has did a good job screwing it up. But I think that Houston's contract is up. But we still got Junk Yard Dog under contract.

JYD is off the books as well. Look if Zach turns out to be an All Star for us then I'm not too upset w/ our cap situation. I mean if we didn't trade for Zach then the season after next we would be looking great w/ Francis and Steph coming off the books. So it doesn't matter if Zach and Eddy can coexist or not, what can't happen is Zach's trade value can't plumett like Stevie Francis did or we're stuck over the cap with a player who can't trade away. And I know all the Marbury fans are going to hate this reality but we almost certainley can't resighn him in two seasons, we'll be under the cap and I don't see him playing for less than 10 mill as season ( no way he gets that), we all know he won't go to any other team, and this Italy thing doesn't seem practical. I think our two worse contracts are our two MLE deals, Jefferies has one more season to prove he is not a bust, and Jerome actually only has two more seasons left with the 3rd being a player option, obviously if we buy him out that 3rd season is not included, I would just buy him out for 10 million, further making 2010 a great season! But again it is all contigent on Zach not turning into K-Mart or Francis or Vin Baker

Trin_Starr

Starter
so does this site include the luxury tax? I was assuming that it only counted player salary... not team expenditures... I could be wrong though...

Trin Starr... do you know for sure?

You are right Shairan. The site does not include luxury tax.
The knicks luxury tax for the 07/08 season will be ~88mil - 68mil = $20mil
So total cost to Dolan this season = $108mil.

I'm not sure where a poster got the $117mil figure from. That's incorrect.

The National Basketball Association today announced that the Salary Cap for the 2007-08 season will be $55.63 million. The new Cap goes into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET on Wednesday, July 11, when the league’s “moratorium period” ends and teams can begin signing free agents and making trades.

The tax level for the 2007-08 season has been set at $67.865 million. Any team whose team salary exceeds that figure will pay a $1 tax for each $1 by which it exceeds $67.865 million.

Why the cap worries?

A lot of times, big name guys don't even make it to the FA market. They usually get resigned, or dealt in the last year of their deals anyways. Teams are not going to just lose big name players now with the cap in place and run the risk of no compensation.

Take Orlando, they had money to sign Lewis outright, yet and still they got a second round pick out the deal just so Shard could get the max. No one trades big names anymore without the sign and trade or just outright dealing him.

So this we need cap space is for?