Q+A with D-Knick

Trin_Starr

Starter
http://my.nba.com/forum.jspa?forumID=300009358

dnicpass_700_rookblog.jpg

Nice read!

Seems like a confident, yet humble guy. Knows he has game, but lots to work on as well. Players like him only get better. Plus he is right about Chandler... Zeke can drfaft his behind off. I think DNIC will make the team. There will surely be a trade ( Hopefully Artest ) soon to pair the roster down for sure. Can't let 6'8 shooters like him go anywhere. Guy plays like a young Glen Rice in some ways...

Kiyaman

Legend
Watching Nichols last season at Syracuse his performance was NBA Ready.
Watching him in the Los Vegas SLG his performance excelled to the point of being a great 18 MPG backup to SG-Jamal Crawford.

Kiyaman

Legend
Watching Nichols last season at Syracuse his performance was NBA Ready.
Watching him in the Los Vegas SLG his performance excelled to the point of being a great 18 MPG backup to SG-Jamal Crawford.

highesthigh

Benchwarmer
...can't wait to see dnic hit his first last-second-game-winning-three... i hope he does it in his hometown... boston.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
i don't expect d-nice to get much burn next season unless q or craw are traded... we've got a log jam folks... unless he can out work other cats in practice... don't expect him to get more play at 3 than Q or Balkman or Chandler... or at 2 than Craw, Steph, or Collins (depending on lineups)... but i do think he will get significant time sooner than later...

highesthigh

Benchwarmer
that's ok... i can wait a bit... i just want to see him hit that game-winner though... remember when francis hit that game-winning-3 in his hometown--d.c.? kinda like that but a hundred times sweeter cause dnic's hometown is boston...

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Seeing nichols for 4 years tear up my hoyas will be greatly appreciated now if he becomes a knick. The kid can flat out shoot. We dont need to trade for a shooter when you have this guy at you disposal. Make the trade and sign this kid quick.

George M.

Benchwarmer
Seeing nichols for 4 years tear up my hoyas will be greatly appreciated now if he becomes a knick. The kid can flat out shoot. We dont need to trade for a shooter when you have this guy at you disposal. Make the trade and sign this kid quick.
Amen!!!!!!!! We need this kid in our rotation!! I just wonder what we'd have to give up to get Artest?? Keep Q,Balkman,D-Nich,Lee.If N8 and Chandler have to go,I understand.Won't like it,but I'll understand.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
People act like Lee wasn't/hasn't been given opportunity to take the starting Job when Channing was here. He was given starts last year (12), but never took the job due to the predictable nature of his game. David Lee is by far the most overrated player on the roster. Folks compare this cat to Oakley? Clearly those people didn't watch the Knicks back in the days. The only thing Lee and Oak have in common is their height. Sure he grabs boards, but Oak was tough, intimidating and flat out mean. You stepped into the paint at your own peril when Oak D'ed up. Oak also had a silky smoot J that he employed to draw folks away from the basket with. A defender had to stay with Oak cause he had the j in his repertoire. Lee also had less blocks than Curry last year, but no one seems to bitch about that. If he gets dealt for Artest, I could care less. At least we'd have a real defender, instead off one who routniely got beat by quicker 3's and 4's to the cup.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
We need to sign this kid. I think I would hate Jerome James even more if he is on the team and D. Nich isn't.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
People act like Lee wasn't/hasn't been given opportunity to take the starting Job when Channing was here. He was given starts last year (12), but never took the job due to the predictable nature of his game. David Lee is by far the most overrated player on the roster. Folks compare this cat to Oakley? Clearly those people didn't watch the Knicks back in the days. The only thing Lee and Oak have in common is their height. Sure he grabs boards, but Oak was tough, intimidating and flat out mean. You stepped into the paint at your own peril when Oak D'ed up. Oak also had a silky smoot J that he employed to draw folks away from the basket with. A defender had to stay with Oak cause he had the j in his repertoire. Lee also had less blocks than Curry last year, but no one seems to bitch about that. If he gets dealt for Artest, I could care less. At least we'd have a real defender, instead off one who routniely got beat by quicker 3's and 4's to the cup.

Whoa the Oak...i think we need a player like him so bad that we just tag anyone with that name. Kinda shows you how long it has been since we had a real defensive minded, grimey PF. No one has played like the oak since the oak. Like what you said, their heights are similar...that's it. Oakley does everything better than lee but theoretically speaking Lee has time to develop those skills. I like the kids work ethic but it's going to take alot of work and tissue paper to fill in the Oak's shoes. No one fears David Lee when penetrating team defense. Most people feared the Oak. In the back of your head when penetrating you was thinking..."Where's Oak at?" Then he'd give you a hard foul and you would start shooting pull up jumpers from 12-15 ft for the rest of the game. He had that much impact on the game. And don't let me start on his post defense and his rebounding tactics. The knicks miss the oak. Heard he was making a comeback...he looks in great shape but i don't know if he still has it or not...guess we'll see

highesthigh

Benchwarmer
Whoa the Oak...i think we need a player like him so bad that we just tag anyone with that name. Kinda shows you how long it has been since we had a real defensive minded, grimey PF. No one has played like the oak since the oak. Like what you said, their heights are similar...that's it. Oakley does everything better than lee but theoretically speaking Lee has time to develop those skills. I like the kids work ethic but it's going to take alot of work and tissue paper to fill in the Oak's shoes. No one fears David Lee when penetrating team defense. Most people feared the Oak. In the back of your head when penetrating you was thinking..."Where's Oak at?" Then he'd give you a hard foul and you would start shooting pull up jumpers from 12-15 ft for the rest of the game. He had that much impact on the game. And don't let me start on his post defense and his rebounding tactics. The knicks miss the oak. Heard he was making a comeback...he looks in great shape but i don't know if he still has it or not...guess we'll see
d lee knows all of this... he's a smart kid, give him credit for that... give him time to develop a bad streak and a REP in the league... if all goes as planned, maybe he'll scare some people like oak did... playing rough with the dram team would help...

highesthigh

Benchwarmer
sorry, i meant dream team... anyway way, i miss oak as well but we have some young kids that look like they might be able to take charge... lee, chandler, and don't forget balkman... did you see how he stepped up to lebron's face... that reminded me a lot of oak stepping up to mj, pippen and h. grant...

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer

How is Lee overated? Isiah Thomas has insisted that Lee is better suited coming off the bench. He has only started a handful of games, NOT becuase of his play, but rather the coaches decision to stick with frye. I dont blame Isiah becuase frye was slated to have a better yr than Lee, frye regressed while Lee progressed.
Coming off the bench, b4 he went out with injury Lee was leading the league in FG% - How is that overated?
He is clearly our best rebounder, a 13.4 per 40 rate which is in elite company.
He doesnt turnover the ball and can be effective without commanding the ball.
No one saying hes gonna Karl Malone or anything, but he is a very good player coming off the bench.
Plz explain where u see overated...

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
Overrated in the sense that he has no ability scoring the ball without help. He rebounds. That's it. Many folks put him in the same category as Oakley. Now check this out: What do these guys have in common.

Shaquille O'Neal
Scottie Pippen
Clyde Drexler
Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Wilt Chamberlain

All who read this post would say these cats are Hall of Famers, right? They've all have been traded. So for someone to say David Lee is untradeable, stop. If those guys above could get moved, why not Lee? Again this points to him being overrated. I don't care about extrapolated numbers. If Eddy Curry played all 48 mins, he'd have 1.4 BPG. He doesn't turn the ball over caused he's not asked to handle it. I just tired of everyone attributing stuff to this cat he doesn't possess. He's not a great defender. He's not fast. The Oakley comparisson wreaks of stupidity and desperation. Give him credit sure. Check it. How's he getting so much praise? No one hear can say that being one dimensional is a good thing. Curry and Randolph get knocked for that, and Randolph hasn't even logged a minute in a Knicks uniform. No player is untradeable. Especially not David Lee.

highesthigh

Benchwarmer
great post dr.carpy... i'd like to add our very own patrick ewing to that list of hall of famers who got traded... hell, if ewing couldn't be a knick-for-life... dlee??? dlee's knick-for-now, sure, but i don't think he's untouchable either...
thomas will tell you what you want to hear, it's a part of his job as the gm... remember what mchale said about kg being untouchable a few weeks ago...

metrocard

Legend
Overrated in the sense that he has no ability scoring the ball without help. He rebounds. That's it. Many folks put him in the same category as Oakley. Now check this out: What do these guys have in common.

Shaquille O'Neal
Scottie Pippen
Clyde Drexler
Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Wilt Chamberlain

All who read this post would say these cats are Hall of Famers, right? They've all have been traded. So for someone to say David Lee is untradeable, stop. If those guys above could get moved, why not Lee? Again this points to him being overrated. I don't care about extrapolated numbers. If Eddy Curry played all 48 mins, he'd have 1.4 BPG. He doesn't turn the ball over caused he's not asked to handle it. I just tired of everyone attributing stuff to this cat he doesn't possess. He's not a great defender. He's not fast. The Oakley comparisson wreaks of stupidity and desperation. Give him credit sure. Check it. How's he getting so much praise? No one hear can say that being one dimensional is a good thing. Curry and Randolph get knocked for that, and Randolph hasn't even logged a minute in a Knicks uniform. No player is untradeable. Especially not David Lee.

Dude, who said Lee is going to be a hall of famer? Why does everyone use this hall of fame in their debates?

"Marbury is a top 8 PG in the NBA"

"WHO CARES, HE ISN'T A HALL OF FAMER".

David Lee wasn't suppose to be this good. Most Knick fans have faith in Lee cause he camed into his sophmore year with alot of improved assets of him game.

Look at the huge percentage jump in his freethrow. He was a 60% FT shooter, now he's 80%. This shows Lee has potential on his jumpshot too, because he's definately a hard enough worker to get to that level.

His offensive game isn't great, but its developed more polished than it was his rookie year.

David Lee is the man, and should be the PF of the future.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player

Shaquille O'Neal
Scottie Pippen
Clyde Drexler
Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Wilt Chamberlain

I see what you're saying. With all the improvements to his game and his work ethic, people fell in love with him. That's ok and all but we have to project the truth and not our biased opinion. Yes Lee is good...not great. We can't say great yet. He's excellent on the boards, he hustles, and has great mental toughness but he doesn't have a J, he can't play D (post nor perimeter), and he's not the fastest F out there. So we have to look at the + as much as the -. Our PF of the future for now is Randolph...not Lee. Sorry to break it to the die hard Lee fans but that's the truth and we all have to deal with it.