Realistically - what are our chances??

Trin_Starr

Starter
The reason I'm asking is because I saw this post on an ESPN insider chat:

Daniel (Chicago/IL): Hi, simple question. NY Knicks playoff team in 2007/08?

J.A. Adande: (4:42 PM ET ) Getting lots of versions of this questions, so we'll go with the simplest one. Let's see, in the East you've got Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Boston, New Jersey, Toronto, Miami and Orlando all ahead of the Knicks. So no

I personally feel like we have a good chance to do some damage, but is it because I am biased to my team...I give them a little extra credit???
Or is this just more hate from ESPN once again?

Last year, if we didn't get hit with all those injuries - we would have made the playoffs. I think Steph understands what Isiah wants out of him and know how to be the extension of Isiah on the court. Curry's confidence is growing and he knows he cannot be stopped in the paint. Lee is a rebounding machine. Balkman is well adrenalin in a can. Q was putting up crazy numbers before he went down. We've added a beast in Randolph to the mix as well as some promising rookies - chandler, nichols and morris.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
F#$k ESPN. I've written Stein at least twice letting him know in a professional way that he sucks and doesn't know what he's talking about. Yes you are bias because you're a Knicks fan just like me. But that doesn't mean that we don't have knowledge of the game and of other teams. I think Toronto, Chicago and Jersey are over rated. If the Knicks had a shot last year common sense tells us that they have greatly improved and if they stay healthy they can make the play offs. Did I mention that Cleavland got swept in the finals? Another over rated team. They made it that far because the east was week. May be I'm getting ahead of my self but I don't see Cleavland getting past Boston or NY in a play off series.

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm an OLE-TIME Knick-Fan that have ticket stubs of the "Clyde & Earl" show at the Garden.

However, I played B-Ball and I Coached B-Ball, and what ESPN said and has been saying about the Knicks since Isiah Thomas took over is Bias of Isiah Thomas, but True to the readers.

Being a Knick-Fan is one thing, but knowing that your team is making one good step foward in the draft, and then making two or three steps backwards from Trades and MLE signings has to say we are getting "Boot-Wringled" to our competition.

Look at the TWO major Teams that the Knicks made Super BIG TRADES with twice "Phoenix Suns and Chicago Bulls". When you remember the situation those two teams were faced with before any Knick Trade was done, and how the Knicks trades affected the teams WIN and LOST column you would understand why Isiah Thomas out of all G.M.'s have helped out the next team 80% better than it helped out the Knicks situation.

Yes, the Knicks have a great core of Young Athletic Players, but surrounding them around certain Players is not good for the growth of these young players.
Example:
Portland got the first pick of the draft and selected "Greg Oden" a Center with Athletic PROMISE on bothsides of the court.
Yet, Portland gives up a 23-10 Power-Foward that could've been a great Tandem with this Rookie Center. They gave this PF up for a PG that could have lead the show in Portland however, they gave this PG $30 million dollars to not ask for a Blazer uniform and to "Keep on Steppin".
Does the above say, "two CANCER-PLAYERS"?
What do you think Marbury, Penny, Crawford, Q.Richardson, and Curry were on their Previous Teams???

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player

J.A. Adande: (4:42 PM ET ) Getting lots of versions of this questions, so we'll go with the simplest one. Let's see, in the East you've got Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Boston, New Jersey, Toronto, Miami and Orlando all ahead of the Knicks. So no

I personally feel like we have a good chance to do some damage, but is it because I am biased to my team...I give them a little extra credit???
Or is this just more hate from ESPN once again?

Last year, if we didn't get hit with all those injuries - we would have made the playoffs. I think Steph understands what Isiah wants out of him and know how to be the extension of Isiah on the court. Curry's confidence is growing and he knows he cannot be stopped in the paint. Lee is a rebounding machine. Balkman is well adrenalin in a can. Q was putting up crazy numbers before he went down. We've added a beast in Randolph to the mix as well as some promising rookies - chandler, nichols and morris.

This question has been eating at me and I believe the true answer will lie with the knicks final lineup after the cuts trades whate have you. without being biased, I can say the Knicks, without the injuries would have made the playoffs. Which would have meant Orlando would not have made it. The Knicks should now be in place to overtake the Nets in the East, and Toronto I do not believe will sustain what they did last year. Knicks are a better team I believe. The Knicks are a better team than the Heat as well and should have a better record than them. J.A. didn't mention the Wizards who I do believe also, if not for injuries would have made it far. so the wizards are in as well as the Cavs, Bulls, Pistons. Every other team, including Boston, are not hands down better than the Knicks to say Yes they will make the playoffs and the Knicks will not. Though I do not like Randolph, it's funny that the Magic add one player (lewis) and lose Milic and Hill, and they automatically believe this team is a playoff team, and the Knicks keep their core and add a 20 10 man and that doesn't give the Knicks any validity .. too funny..

I'm posting this trying to be as objective as I can. The knicks I do believe need to make a move for Artest. I truly do not like the Randolph Curry combo and believe the Knicks will need to find a way to either trade Randolph or get Artest and make this a semi decent defensive team. A rebounding shot blocking PF like Camby would be ideal along with Artest. With that in place, I believe the Knicks would be a top 3 team in the east. But this is not a trade thread so I will go with what the Knicks have now. And based on their current roster, the Knicks I believe are a playoff team, be it a lower three seed.

Yes we will make the playoffs behind the likes of the bulls,caves, and jersey but after these three teams I think its wide open. Detroit whats left in their tank? Miami can either of there stars stay healthy? Orlando are they ever going to mature as a team? Bosten they have no bench and when not if they have some injuries thats it for them as well as the team meshing well together. Toronto maby I am not giving them enough respect but face it do they deserve it Mo pete is who gave us the most trouble out of them and now hes gone with all that scoring ability who's going to pick up the slack? The rest of the teams in the east besides maby Washington has no chance of even sniffing the playoffs and thats why my beloved N.Y. Knicks will make the post-season!

i beleive the knicks will make the playoffs if everone stays healthy this is the first time in a while when we have almost the same team for more than 1 season so hopefully chemestry will develop. :gony:

Kiyaman

Legend
Its not the Knick Players that have been keeping this team out of the Postseason the last two seasons, it has been the Knicks CRAZY coaching.

The Knicks Injuries last season to Lee, Crawford, and Q.Rich, were players that was not in the Knicks Head Coach Starting Lineup last offseason: Francis, Marbury, Jefferies, Frye, and Curry.

If Head Coach Isiah Thomas still had Francis, Frye, and Jefferies still on the roster at the start of the 2007-8 regular season games, do you think he would still put them as STARTERS?

If NBA Sports Writers knew that President/Coach Isiah Thomas was not going to put Zach Randolph into the Starting-Lineup as soon as he join the team then they would have confidence in Isiah Thomas so-call plan for this team.
It seems like every new traded player Isiah get for this team is initiated by becomming a STARTER at arrival starting with his first trade of Norris.
How can anyone have confidence in a President/Coach that does that.

pat

Starter

I can only say: He has a point. Talent wise the Knicks should be able to competre with the Magic, the Raptors and --of course-- the Nets. Its just that talent isn't the whole thing. I am not so sure about Marbury, Curry, and Crawford to be playoff/championship format (only talking about the starting five). Up to now they didn't strike me precisely as winners. Still, I would really like to see that my doubts weren't justified.

donchris

Though I do not like Randolph, it's funny that the Magic add one player (lewis) and lose Milic and Hill, and they automatically believe this team is a playoff team, and the Knicks keep their core and add a 20 10 man and that doesn't give the Knicks any validity .. too funny..

Excellent point. You can see the inconsistency in reporting. Far too many of us take the words of ESPN analysts to heart. Many of us have different views on the Randolph trade but it is undeniable that Francis/Frye for Randolph is a bargain and an upgrade.

I played B-Ball and I Coached B-Ball, and what ESPN said and has been saying about the Knicks since Isiah Thomas took over is Bias of Isiah Thomas, but True to the readers.

How can a bias be true? The full truth has no bias. Bias is spin used to sway an audience one way or another. There go 90% of NY's views and opinions of Thomas. Hypothetically speaking, if ESPN had the point of view that Thomas was the underdog with a vision, do you think that the opinions of the public would be the same regarding Thomas? The same goes for any story that is reported on any station or paper. Just watch Fox News and you'll see all kinds of spin and misdirection. I don't think ESPN is as bad as Fox news when it comes to spin but if we can acknowledge that a bias exists we've got to stop and think for a minute. Why? I never really understood the issue Knicks fans take with Chicago and Phoenix trades. Must be the love we had for Kurt Thomas. He was a soldier, true, but he was an aging soldier and getting Q. Rich was a bargain.

Last edited:

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
ESPN are hating they expect more from a team thats from NY. They only talk about the damn yankees as a NY team. JA Adande(LA) is the worst in Around the Horn, talks bull sometimes. If we get Ron Artest we are the top 4th in the Eastern Conference. I listen to Stein, and Stephen A. Smith. I heard Smith say that we actually will be a force next season he said it during the draft of 07 when we got Z Bo.

Stephen A is a N.Y. product and he is a fan of the Knicks but thats not to say he is partial to the Knicks we have all heard him rip N.Y. By far of the above mentioned he has the most NBA prospective so I think we shouldn't worry about what a scrub like J.A. has to say anyway.

mugili716

Benchwarmer
Go Nyk Go!!!

I'll go through the reason why we are better than EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE TEAMS:

Cleveland: We were what 2-2 against cleveland last year? Q held King James down as much as someone can hold him down. And besides that I dont think Cleveland has got as much firepower as we do to keep up with us. I predict we will be 3-1 against the Cavs this year.

Detroit: After seeing them collapse last year, I feel like they are aging and aren't making any significant moves to improve themselves. Last year they did a decent job with Curry but with Zach on the other block who are they going to use to stop him? Nazr Mohammed.....I rest my case.

Chicago: I dont think Chicago is a great team, but we always have trouble with their backcourt of Gordon, Hinrich, and Deng. I don't think our backcourt of Q, Marbury, and Jamal can outscore them unless they are on fire but if they can do decent job of scoring maybe 45 - 50 points between them, Zach and Curry will punish Ben Wallace downlow.

Boston: Now I know Boston's Big three looks pretty scary but i feel we can still beat them. There is no way we can stop Pierce and Allen but as long as we make their points come hard we will be ok. Lets say we got Balkman on one and Q on the other and throw JJ20 on them to mix it up. And down low I love KG and i know he's good but he can't guard both Curry and Zach. Against boston we can get KG in foul trouble each game and we got the game on lock.

New Jersey: New Jersey is just like Boston but instead of an inside force they got another small forward. I think their big three is hard for us to stop but as long as we can limit them and make shots hard for them, our big guys downlow as well as Lee and Balkman can realy take advantage of their weak front court.

Toronto: Are you kidding me? I am still baffled that they won the Atlantic. Well I guess someone had to lol... No but seriously I dont see them having the same success as they had last year. I think we got an advantage all around against these guys... I am also happy MO Pete aint with them anymore.. man he had something against the Knicks seriously... how much damage can Bosh do? what is his highest scoring game 35? I think we let Bosh go crazy and not double team and they won't score more than 80 points.

Miami: I love DWade but i dont think he can carry his team past us. We got too much firepower for them, and honestly I have never been a shaq hater but I dont think he has it in him anymore. Curry can really do a number on shaq and and so can Zach. I wouldnt be surprised if we sweep Miami this year or to be safe 3-1 Miami will get one on their home court.

Orlando: I realy don't see what the big hype is? Dwight is good but you can't say his offensive game is anywhere near Curry's or Zach's. Sure he is a hell of a defender but offensivly i dont think they can score enough points to be a force or even get to the playoffs. I think this is a team where we use our backcourt as well as Lee and Balkman to run them out of the gym.

Let me know if you guys think this is accurate, but honestly ESPN analysts are just a bunch of haters. And if we get artest i dont see us losing before the conference finals... and thats just me being safe, cuz i dont think any of these teams can beat us in a seven game series.

ABSULOUTLY LOVED THIS BLOG...Maby a little to confidant even for one of the biggist fans though. I would agree on at least 90% of what you wrote but Chicago,Boston and New Jersey I wouldn't just count out.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Our predictions are getting bold. We gotta look at the whole picture here...

Orlando got worse... they added a legit scoring threat... but lost a playmaker and a budding, young pf/backup c... lewis will make it hard for teams to stop him and dh... but without darko... who helps him down low?

Chi is still better than us... i didn't like the noah pick... but whatever... they're probably the team best suited to pound on us... tyrus thomas, noah, ben wallace (did they resign brown?) on the glass and post... gordon, deng, heinrich torching us on offense... the games will be closer though...

NJ is probably the best team in the atlantic... if they pull off the JO trade and manage to keep kristic... they'll be top 3 in the east... even without the trade though... they're better than us... kidd, jefferson, carter, kristic, magloire, williams, nachbar... you'll remember i said this when they're winning 13 straight...

Bos got better... but how much better depends on ray allen's bionic ankles... people are underestimating how career threatening that injury is... KG and Pierce is a playoff team... but not better than us... if ray's healthy... they get in... top 4 maybe...

Cle won't make the finals again... lebron will evolve again next year and make it hard for us... they'll finish top 4...

Det got better... the draft was kind... check rip and chauncy's minutes since flip has been there... their draft picks are ready to spell these guys now... so rip and chauncy can save their legs for the playoffs when that shit matters...

Mia might miss the playoffs... they won the smush parker sweepstakes... but wade's out til january... shaq's older... kopono's in canada... they could very likely be 15 - 30 at the all star break... uphill climb to get back in...

Tor is overrated... you guys got that right... but they might actually be better next season... like us... they've had a year to gel... BUT... they made the playoffs last year... valuable experience... they lost Mo Pete... but I think Kopono could develop into a similar player... unless he pulls a Szcerbiak...

Cha is dangerous... Wallace/Richardson is a deadly combo...

Atl could make noise... they finally have a point guard... their young core has been together for a minute...

Mil is gonna be healthy... fighting for the playoffs with us...

i've said this a lot... but we're gonna have to fight it out with a lot of good teams... but if we play up to our potential... not worrying about what any other team does... we can get in...

How come nobody mentions Washington in the east a playoff team the past couple of years? The Knicks WILL make the playoffs this year along with N.J. and Bosten from the atlantic. Then the other team in are Chi. and Detroit probably so thats only four besides the Knicks. That should give Zeke and the team enough room for era,team meshing and whatever else comes up to at least slip in the last few playoff spots in the east.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
We have too many weapons to not make the playoffs. Curry gets hurt we have Randolph, Randolph gets hurt we have Lee, Marbury goes down we have Mardy or Nate. Q-Rich goes down we have balkman, jeffries, and the rook so I mean we have enough depth to damage. Chemistry and passion is my only question...we all want to win games but is this team that we have ready to compete for those wins. I want to see some fire this season...some passion. That's when I'll know they're ready

metrocard

Legend
This thread is going to be divided into two. Homerism/stupidity is what is making the whole situation work for Dolan/Thomas. The haters/realists/others are generally pissed that the idiots/homers/retards are supporting Dolan/Isiah when it clearly isn't going in the right direction.

Most Isiahsexuals think that if us Knick fans just turn our head and ignore last year's weaknesses, they'll just go away. Like interior defense, which Isiah has done nothing to solve and really can't since he's locked in Zach's contract for the next 4 years and he isn't going to trade Curry.

Putting my hardcore views aside and looking at it realistically, we have a good chance of an 8th seed.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
I love how people talk like Zach Randolph and his 23.6 and 10.1 were a fluke. He achieved those numbers through skill and dedication to his craft which is basketball. People say he can't play defense. I don't believe this. Everytime he grabs a defensive board, he's helped out on d. He was listed at 270 Lbs. last year, he's now listed at 260 Lbs. which says he's in shape. Whats real is that the Knicks are bringing back the same group with the subtraction of Steve Francis, who if you ask to a man on the roster, everyone's glad he gone. Curry works well with Crawford. Marbury works well with seemingly everyone. We have role players in Q, DKnick, Jefferies, Lee, Balkman, and Collins. Guys are excited enough to start scrimaging together from now. That says alot. It says that Isiah's plan (clearly he has one) is taking form. We've gotten better, no can say we haven't. Now it comes down to how bad the players want it. Them getting together now says that they want it pretty bad. So finishing in the playoff picture, shouldn't be a problem. In my opinion anyways.

donchris

I love how people talk like Zach Randolph and his 23.6 and 10.1 were a fluke. He achieved those numbers through skill and dedication to his craft which is basketball. People say he can't play defense. I don't believe this. Everytime he grabs a defensive board, he's helped out on d. He was listed at 270 Lbs. last year, he's now listed at 260 Lbs. which says he's in shape. Whats real is that the Knicks are bringing back the same group with the subtraction of Steve Francis, who if you ask to a man on the roster, everyone's glad he gone. Curry works well with Crawford. Marbury works well with seemingly everyone. We have role players in Q, DKnick, Jefferies, Lee, Balkman, and Collins. Guys are excited enough to start scrimaging together from now. That says alot. It says that Isiah's plan (clearly he has one) is taking form. We've gotten better, no can say we haven't. Now it comes down to how bad the players want it. Them getting together now says that they want it pretty bad. So finishing in the playoff picture, shouldn't be a problem. In my opinion anyways.

Couldn't have said it better. The notion that Randolph is a liability on defense is nonsense. If the kid is snatching defensive boards clearly he has a presence on the defensive end. He's got the desire to share the ball and wants to win. I don't anticipate a break down between Randolph and Curry. Also consider that Randolph didn't have much help in Portland so it was necessary for him to take over the games similar to Kobe in L.A.

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
interior defense and defensive rebounding unfortunately are not synonymous. of the two i still think zach has better d but he cant always be able to cover curry's ass.