NY Times Reports David Lee can get a Max Contract

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Reshaping the Knicks Will Be a Major Test
By HOWARD BECK
Published: April 16, 2008

As first-round picks in 2005, Lee and Robinson are each eligible for lucrative contract extensions this summer. Without the extensions, each would become a restricted free agent in 2009 and, potentially, an unrestricted free agent in 2010.

So one of Walsh?s first critical decisions is whether to lock up the Knicks? best young prospects at the expense of cap space in 2010. The players and their agents are watching intently.

?Donnie?s got to do what he thinks is best for the Knicks,? said Lee?s agent, Mark Bartelstein.

But, Bartelstein noted: ?The reason why you try to create cap space is to try to get really good young players. I don?t know how much better you?re going to get than David Lee.?

Lee, who is averaging 10.8 points and 8.9 rebounds, has improved every year and is probably the Knicks? most coveted player around the league. One rival agent, citing Lee?s talent, upside and popularity, suggested he could seek a maximum contract ? in the range of $13 million a season. The agent did not want to be identified talking about a player who was not his client.

To keep Lee and Robinson and still get under the cap in two years, the Knicks would have to trade Randolph or Curry, possibly both.

For now, the Knicks have four players ? Curry, Randolph, Jamal Crawford and Jared Jeffries ? signed through 2010-11, at a total of $45.6 million. The salary cap is unknown, but based on recent figures could be around $60 million. But the Knicks will have to sign at least eight players to fill out the roster. They will have to add the contracts of a lottery pick this June and another first-round pick in 2009. The cap space will disappear quickly.

Crawford is also eligible for an extension this summer and is expected to seek it. He can opt out of his deal in 2009.

Walsh will also have to decide whether to offer extensions next year to the Knicks? 2006 draft picks, Renaldo Balkman and Mardy Collins, and whether to pick up the option on Wilson Chandler, their first-round pick in 2007. Based on their rookie contracts, those three could make a combined $8 million in 2010-11.

In any case, it seems certain that Walsh will let four veterans leave as their contracts expire: Stephon Marbury and Malik Rose in 2009, and Quentin Richardson and Jerome James in 2010. Because teams have to balance salaries in making a trade, dealing any of them could jeopardize the Knicks? cap space.

Yet Walsh has also said he wants the Knicks to be competitive in the next two years, which means he needs some new players. Any free agent would have to come on a short-term deal, one that expires in 2010.

Even the Knicks? coming lottery pick is not a certainty. Since there seem to be no sure-fire stars beyond the top two picks, Walsh could try to trade the pick and package it with an unwanted contract (Curry?s or Randolph?s).

REBOUNDS

Wilson Chandler will miss the Knicks? season finale after injuring his left knee Monday night. A magnetic resonance imaging test confirmed the initial diagnosis of a sprain and also revealed a bone bruise.

I would go for it if I was Lee but hes not worth that much. He has improved every season, hes got a great attitude and work ethic but hes still an average defender at best. What makes him a better defender then Curry and Z-bo is that he at least knows how to play a team defense. Im wonderin what players the Knicks will re-sign and let go with several of their contracts expiring after next season. Part of me wants to laugh at this article but realistically there mite be a gm out there willing to give Lee 13 million a year.

dre48ny

Rotation player
Wow.

If th knicks don't plan on signing him and trading Randolph, now is the time to trade him since he has value.

Maybe a sign and trade with Charlotte for Okafor. That way we can package Eddy Curry.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
David Lee is an excellent rebounder, and he's improved his offensive talent. However, he's still not worth 13 million a year, or even 10 million a year. The most I'd give Lee is 6 million per year. More than that is going too far, in my opinion. The same goes with Nate Robinson. I would not give him more than 6 million per year.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Really I think David Lee is >> then Nate Robinson. So he deserves any amount of money like that 10 million. Zach doesn't deserve it at all, and when Jamal Crawford got his extension look at how much money he got..

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Wow.

If th knicks don't plan on signing him and trading Randolph, now is the time to trade him since he has value.

Maybe a sign and trade with Charlotte for Okafor. That way we can package Eddy Curry.
Good idea. If I was Donnie Walsh, I'd make that type of move, too.

Man I want to puke no Lee, no D.Rose, no M.Beasley the only good thing I'm reading is the talk of loseing a bunch of salary (Curry+Z-Bo) but the thaught of loseing Lee is sickning but he's not worth the type of money their talking about. I'm a huge fan of Lee's but the absolute most I'd give him would be around 8 million per year and that would be pushing it for a 10 and 10 (rebound and points per game) kind of player. I guess the one re-assuring thing about these talks is that we would basicly get back the same player for D.Lee in E.Oakafor 10 and 10 type guy (with more shot blocking ability) at a Max Contract?(via sign and trade) While getting rid of our most awfull contract with Z-Bo. Did I miss anything? Hate to say it but I'd do it!

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Wow.

Agreed. I don't know what Lee's agent has been smoking. 13 million? Shiiiiiittttttt! I don't see Lee getting more than a five year 20 to 35 million dollar deal. That's between 5-7 mill a year. Fk 13! No way. I've never been for trading Lee more than I am now if this does go to his head. I say destroy and rebuild. Lee, Randolph, Curry, Collins, can all 'kick rocks'. (thats old school) Call me crazy but I would consider taking Juan Howard over Lee rather than give him a max deal.

paris401

Starter
package his lily white ass with one (or two) of our under-welming players for a pick or a player..

13m for a guy who has limited skills (yes he hustles), a 5ft (max) range, and plays little "D"...

don't let the door hit ya on the way out...

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
package his lily white ass with one (or two) of our under-welming players for a pick or a player..

13m for a guy who has limited skills (yes he hustles), a 5ft (max) range, and plays little "D"...

lmao great post. You told it how it is but some people on here might catch feelings about the "lil white ass" line.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers being thrown out there by Lee's agent or anyone else. It's just the beginning of a negotiation. I heard the Knicks countered with 11 cents. :rofl:

Now they can negotiate.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com

I agree. If there's a way to package Eddy Curry or Quentin Richardson with David Lee for a draft pick, an expiring contract, or a talented player, I would do it.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
I agree. If there's a way to package Eddy Curry or Quentin Richardson with David Lee for a draft pick, an expiring contract, or a talented player, I would do it.

Agreed...as much as I like David Lee, he is not worth it. We can't give anymore bad contracts no matter how much we like the players. If we're force to pay Nate that kind of contract, I say do the same and package him with a bad contract for a draft pick, an expiring contract, or a talented player.

diesel1984

Rookie
i love lee he is such a hard working player nothing but great things to say about him if he could only play better defense and consistently make the jumper instead of layups and dunks he would be close to the 13 mill. other than that we cant give him that deal i would have to say peace #42. hopefully we can package him with z-bo or JJ20. i think if we can get ewing in as an assistant and teach curry how to play D and lose some weight he will be such a dominating center. i mean look what he has to everyone else he has taught

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
Personally, I think Curry is a loss cause. He just doesn't have it in him to want to be better unlike Yao and Dwight Howard. He's comfortable with his big contract and large supply of Big Macs. Eventually, he's going to be another Jerome James, useless on the bench just collecting his checks.

diesel1984

Rookie
i do agree as of right now he is useless way overweight but i think with the right teacher he can be an above average player. A guy that size should have the motivation to want to play and be so dominate. He has shown us what he can do just never does it consistently. if he can put up 18-20ppg 10 boards and a block a game he would be the guy we thought he would and can be. just damn someone light that fire under his arse now!!!!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Watching David Lee three season NBA career with the Knicks should explain alot about this Knick Team situation, and the poorest coaching staff in the NBA.

David Lee is a 32 mpg player that should've been getting playingtime at both positions PF/SF since his arrival in the league. Some nights he plays like the Lakers Odom, and on other night he plays like the Lakers Gasol.

The Knicks coaching should have had David Lee spend time at the 3 and then the 4 position each game so it would've improve his talents and skillz to be a 16/12 performance player since his rookie season.

David Lee showed his great skillz & talents in his rookie season at the SF position helping the Knicks WIN six straight games. Ever since then the Knicks did not use Lee at the SF position where Lee have the advantage over alot of SF in the league (that is why Lee & Frye were so affective together, recall when Lee pulled down 22 rebounds in 28 minutes.).

Knowing this, is why assistant coaches Hann, Aquire, and Herb is useless to this Knick Team as coaches they are part time single player trainers.
The next team coach will have David Lee play 6 to 10 minute stretches at the SF position, while having him as their main PF.
Hint: David Lee won the MVP of the Fresh/Soph contest at the SF position, not the PF position.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->