Word on the street...: Who's Moving Up or Down?

metrocard

Legend
Numerous teams we spoke with today discussed the rumors of a potential draft-night trade that is making the rounds in NBA circles. Presuming that Derrick Rose goes #1, Miami would select Michael Beasley at #2 regardless, and wait to see if O.J. Mayo were to fall to the 5th overall pick. If that indeed was the case, Memphis would select him, and then trade him to Miami along with Mike Miller in exchange for Mark Blount and Beasley.

Seattle is also reportedly trying hard to move up to #2, and is dangling Chris Wilcox as bait (in exchange for the cumbersome contract of Mark Blount). The Supersonics would also take Beasley there. This is all assuming that O.J. Mayo doesn’t go third to Minnesota, which is not something teams should take for granted just yet based off what we know so far.

Memphis’ additional first round selection, the #28 pick, acquired from the Lakers in the Pau Gasol trade, is also reportedly in play. Rumors have the Grizzlies potentially trading this pick to Denver along with Kyle Lowry in exchange for the #20 pick. It’s possible that they would try and leap-frog the Orlando Magic and select Courtney Lee, who reportedly had a terrific workout there last week.

Other picks that we’re hearing rumors about include #6 (New York, trying to move up, or back), #19 (Cleveland, possibly to move up and take Brandon Rush), and #29 (Detroit, who supposedly isn’t enamored by anyone in this area). Two teams that are reportedly looking to acquire an additional first round pick are the Spurs (who unfortunately have very little to offer) and the Suns. The Wizards wouldn’t mind moving out if someone would offer them a good deal involving a point guard, but at this point that doesn’t seem likely to happen. Cleveland is trying to buy their way into the mid-first round, but unlike in years past, it won’t be Phoenix that is selling.

Look for the Los Angeles Lakers to try and land an early second round pick (possibly from Seattle) in order to draft IUPUI’s George Hill. He worked out in Los Angeles and reportedly was very impressive. His college team actually ran the triangle offense, and that is always a big factor in the Lakers’ workouts.

As we continue to work the phones to discuss with teams who they hear is going where, we first of all need to establish which prospects will be on the board. At this point it’s clear that there is a fairly significant drop-off in this year’s draft class right around the 12th (Sacramento) or 13th (Portland) pick, as all the prospects that are getting mentions have some serious “warts” in the words of one NBA executive, which make teams hesitant about drafting them. The question is which will be overlooked, and which will cause players to slip.

Players that might find themselves being drafted a bit lower than they hoped include DeAndre Jordan, JaVale McGee, and possibly even Anthony Randolph. If Sacramento selects Darrell Arthur at #12 like many NBA sources we spoke with anticipate (this was his last workout stop before cancelling numerous workouts), then Randolph could be in for quite a tumble, as he would likely continue to slip past Portland at #13, Golden State at #14, Phoenix at #15, until reaching Philadelphia at #16. That’s about 10 spots lower than some mocks have him projected right now, but isn’t out of the question depending on how things play out next week. Randolph is not helping himself reportedly with the way he’s working out, being very average so far according to numerous people who’ve watched him, looking “laid back” or even “out of shape.” Compounding the problem is that he may have recently hurt his shoulder.

Another player who could crash the lottery unexpectedly and even shockingly go just one spot below his twin brother is Stanford center Robin Lopez. Lopez reportedly canceled all his remaining workouts (with the Pacers, Kings, Sixers, and more) with a supposed “sprained ankle” after working out for the New Jersey Nets this past week. Although the tenth pick is widely believed to be Danilo Gallinari’s, no one would know better about where the Italian small forward will get drafted than his agent Arn Tellem, who also happens to represent the Lopez twins. Robin being promised to go tenth (a speculatory rumor that is definitely making the rounds) almost surely means that Gallinari is going sixth to the Knicks. The Nets can’t expect to wait and pick Lopez at #21, as there is very little chance he gets past Phoenix at 15, or at the very worst (if Donte Greene slips past Golden State), Toronto at 17, where he is extremely coveted.

While DeAndre Jordan and JaVale McGee are refusing to conduct workouts with certain teams drafting outside of the lottery (McGee’s mother foolishly won’t let him visit anyone past 12 from what one frustrated team told us), there is no shortage of workout warriors on the prowl looking to take their spot in the teens portion of the draft. One of those is Alexis Ajinca, who may be working himself into that 12-14 range, based off the workouts he’s having.

One executive who recently watched him expressed shock at his combination of physical tools (7-1 in shoes, 240 pounds, with a near 7-7 wingspan), coordination and agility. “If he were in college, let’s say at Nevada instead of JaVale McGee, he would be a sure-fire top 10 pick,” the executive noted. “He’s bigger than McGee, and he’s also more skilled…with that length, he is going to be able to bother some people for sure” Ajinca is answering question marks about his toughness by not backing down from anyone he’s faced so far, particularly in an outstanding workout in Charlotte where he matched up with Jordan, McGee and Roy Hibbert. His experience playing against grown men all season long in the French league is certainly showing in workouts so far it seems.

The safest pick amongst players being projected to go from 13-19 is likely Brandon Rush. He could seemingly be picked by any of those teams, and be able to find a way to be productive thanks to his size, shooting ability and defensive skills. He’s probably not going to be a star, but as you’ll be able to read in the research conducted by Heather N. Allen and Paul Gearan tomorrow, that’s not such a bad thing in this range.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/

Crazy stuff. ROBIN LOPEZ going number 10? Nets have Williams and Boone. Nets need another offensive weapon, either at SF or PF.

Seattle should stay @ 4...Bayless or Love or Lopez would be a good pick for them.

I don't see Miami's obsession with Mayo; they already have a SG in Wade. Mayo isn't going to fit well as a PG, his best attributes fit better as an off guard.

I wonder what Minnesota is gonna do.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Donnie Walsh better not dare draft Danilo Gallinari. It's pretty clear that the Knicks need the most help with the point guard and center positions. If Mayo isn't available at 6, then he needs to draft Augustin or Lopez(preferably Augustin, but Lopez could replace Eddy Curry, if selected).

New New York

Quiet Storm
This is why I hate the Draft!!!!

NBA TV has been running past NBA Draft footage today and I imagine as always it will coutinue up until the day of the Draft. And it seems like every year there is hype around a player who turns out to be nothing. Armon Gilliam gets drafted 2nd overall before Mark Jackson (NBA rookie of the year that year and last ROY of The Knicks) Kenny Smith (two time NBA champ) Tyrone "Mugsy" Bogues, and Dell Curry (one of the best shooters in NBA history) but no one questione Gilliam at the time, he was considered the obvious second pick after The Admiral was drafted. Then there is the whole not drafting for needs theory. Ofcourse we all know that the Blazers needed a big man and already had Clyde as a SG so they picked Sam Bowie over some cat named Micheal Jordan. Now Clyde would lead them to the Finals (but wouldnt get his ring until he left the Blazers when he would join the other man drafted over Jordan) and was an All Star, Dream Teamer and All NBA teamer for the Blazers, but that still doesnt begin to ease the pain of selecting Bowie over MJ. But what would they have done with MJ and Clyde on the same team? How about us taking Kenny Walker over Ron Harper, and this was done under the watch of the Brilliant Hubie Brown.

My point is that around this time of the year there is so much hype around players that GM's do not pick wisely. To Donnie Walsh's credit he has gained the most draft praise from not passing on Reggie Miller for the kid that played at IU. He would later claim that he just went with his gut and not what everyone wanted him to do.But at the same time he did take Fred Jones over Tayshaun Prince. Mike D'antoni has traded out of the Draft every year he was in Pheonix even passing on players seemingly fit for his style of play like Nate Robinson,so we can't rely on his ability to make good picks. But Mike Dantoni does make a good point about the Draft in saying it is not an exact science. I mean what didnt Carlos Boozer show that Marcus Haslip did?
To Isiah Thomas' credit he did do a good job of avoiding the Hype around players and selecting the best player most of the time (he was rumored to have talked Donnie Walsh off of Prince and to take Fred Jones). Remember he was the first person to dead the Morris Almound Allan Houston comparisons, and he turned out to be right. Who knew who Wilson Chandler and Balkman were before their draft nights? David Lee was a booed pick that has turned into the most popular Knick. But again even Isiah wasn't flawless.

So I suppose the only thing that is predictable about the draft is it' unpredictability. You can never tell the type of work ethic that a kid may possess just by doing a workout, there is no real way to gauge if they will be injury prone, or will have off the court troubles. So lets just hope we get lucky becaue I am now convinced that's about 75 percent of it!

Donnie Walsh better not dare draft Danilo Gallinari. It's pretty clear that the Knicks need the most help with the point guard and center positions. If Mayo isn't available at 6, then he needs to draft Augustin or Lopez(preferably Augustin, but Lopez could replace Eddy Curry, if selected).
He is not even a real New York Knicks fan. Galllinari would be a excellent pickup around the 10th pick but to pick him at 6 would be too early.

Last edited by a moderator:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
JPZ17 has Danilo Gallinari 3rd on his list. That is why hes a urine soaked prick. I thought i told them to ban that necropheliac anus invader. He is not even a real New York Knicks fan. Galllinari would be a excellent pickup around the 10th pick but to pick him at 6 would be too early.

Cool clip. I don't know too much about jpz17. Like MSGKnickz33 said, he's a shockposter. EX: 1)he said he would trade the entire Knick roster for draft picks and expiring contracts, except David Lee. 2)He said Andrew Bynum isn't that good. 3) He said that he doesn't like the Celtics, yet he's stood up for them on numerous occassions(see Celtics Suck Thread II). 4) He said OJ Mayo is a better defender than Ben Gordon. Then he said OJ Mayo shoots like Carmelo Anthony. I don't know if it's a gimmick, or if he really is a random poster.

JUNIOR MINT

Benchwarmer
Cool clip. I don't know too much about jpz17. Like MSGKnickz33 said, he's a shockposter. EX: 1)he said he would trade the entire Knick roster for draft picks and expiring contracts, except David Lee. 2)He said Andrew Bynum isn't that good. 3) He said that he doesn't like the Celtics, yet he's stood up for them on numerous occassions(see Celtics Suck Thread II). 4) He said OJ Mayo is a better defender than Ben Gordon. Then he said OJ Mayo shoots like Carmelo Anthony. I don't know if it's a gimmick, or if he really is a random poster.

hahahahahaha what makes it funny is that its true

Kiyaman

Legend
The way it looks with the Knicks at number 6 does not look good unless they trade the 6 pick with players to get OJ Mayo, or TJ Ford, or Wilcox, and a later first round pick, inwhich Isiah is still apart of the staff and job should be selecting the best available player with the pick.

I have no confidence in Walsh or D'Antoni in selecting a draft pick, their best use on draft night would be trading some of the Knicks veteran players.

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
NBA TV has been running past NBA Draft footage today and I imagine as always it will coutinue up until the day of the Draft. And it seems like every year there is hype around a player who turns out to be nothing. Armon Gilliam gets drafted 2nd overall before Mark Jackson (NBA rookie of the year that year and last ROY of The Knicks) Kenny Smith (two time NBA champ) Tyrone "Mugsy" Bogues, and Dell Curry (one of the best shooters in NBA history) but no one questione Gilliam at the time, he was considered the obvious second pick after The Admiral was drafted. Then there is the whole not drafting for needs theory. Ofcourse we all know that the Blazers needed a big man and already had Clyde as a SG so they picked Sam Bowie over some cat named Micheal Jordan. Now Clyde would lead them to the Finals (but wouldnt get his ring until he left the Blazers when he would join the other man drafted over Jordan) and was an All Star, Dream Teamer and All NBA teamer for the Blazers, but that still doesnt begin to ease the pain of selecting Bowie over MJ. But what would they have done with MJ and Clyde on the same team? How about us taking Kenny Walker over Ron Harper, and this was done under the watch of the Brilliant Hubie Brown.

My point is that around this time of the year there is so much hype around players that GM's do not pick wisely. To Donnie Walsh's credit he has gained the most draft praise from not passing on Reggie Miller for the kid that played at IU. He would later claim that he just went with his gut and not what everyone wanted him to do.But at the same time he did take Fred Jones over Tayshaun Prince. Mike D'antoni has traded out of the Draft every year he was in Pheonix even passing on players seemingly fit for his style of play like Nate Robinson,so we can't rely on his ability to make good picks. But Mike Dantoni does make a good point about the Draft in saying it is not an exact science. I mean what didnt Carlos Boozer show that Marcus Haslip did?
To Isiah Thomas' credit he did do a good job of avoiding the Hype around players and selecting the best player most of the time (he was rumored to have talked Donnie Walsh off of Prince and to take Fred Jones). Remember he was the first person to dead the Morris Almound Allan Houston comparisons, and he turned out to be right. Who knew who Wilson Chandler and Balkman were before their draft nights? David Lee was a booed pick that has turned into the most popular Knick. But again even Isiah wasn't flawless.

So I suppose the only thing that is predictable about the draft is it' unpredictability. You can never tell the type of work ethic that a kid may possess just by doing a workout, there is no real way to gauge if they will be injury prone, or will have off the court troubles. So lets just hope we get lucky becaue I am now convinced that's about 75 percent of it!
great post

jimenezz7

Benchwarmer
I just want to thank everybody on the site with so much information on these college players because I dont know much about most of them you guys really got me ready for the draft.I stoped watching college ball when UNLV sold out and lost to Duke.I learned more on this site than I ever have with ESPN.

metrocard

Legend
I just want to thank everybody on the site with so much information on these college players because I dont know much about most of them you guys really got me ready for the draft.I stoped watching college ball when UNLV sold out and lost to Duke.I learned more on this site than I ever have with ESPN.

Its the least we can do brother; just keep posting.

Absolutely, as a person who doesn't follow college basketball i have to rely on information from other people, and then look at it myself. Who know's what the Knicks need more than the Knicks fans themselves though :)

dre48ny

Rotation player

yEAH GREAT CLIP, AS A FELLOW COLOMBIAN: IT'S CRAZY HOW THIS ONE MAN DOMINATED OUR COUNTRY AND THE DRUG BUSINESS.

HE WAS A BAD MAN BUT U CAN'T KNOCK HIM FOR BEING SMARTER AND TOUGHER THAN EVERYONE ELSE. HE WAS A REAL GANGSTA!! FOR MANY RAPPERS THAT CLAIM TO BE GANGSTAS, THEY AIN'T GOT SH#T ON HIM.

Ohh MAN ! Draft is 4 days away. Can't fucking wait to see the pick we take or if we'll make any miracle trades involving Jerome james, Eddy Curry, Jared jeffries in that exact fucking order !!!

dre48ny

Rotation player
Ohh MAN ! Draft is 4 days away. Can't fucking wait to see the pick we take or if we'll make any miracle trades involving Jerome james, Eddy Curry, Jared jeffries in that exact fucking order !!!
That's funny player!! Walsh would be GM of the year from the door!!