Buying out Marbury

Paul1355

All Star
I have been hearing reports and rumors of buying out Marbury one guy, Marc Berman, suggested it and a few others i know.I don't realize why the Knicks would buy out Marbury when he has one year left. Correct me if im wrong but don't you have to pay more money then is required on his contract to buy him out? What is the point in spending more money when Marbury might actually help us out being a veteran that can produce good numbers if he's healthy. He has one year left why don't we just wait untill his contract is up and let him go in free agency and not spend as much money?

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
Ya I think I've read some similar articles as well. Knicks have probably given up on him entirely for them to consider that. Has it really gone to a point where his presence alone is a detriment to the team? I think buying him out is as bad (actually even worse) as when we bought out Francis' expiring contract. I don't expect that much from Marbury this seeason, but I'm interested all the same at seeing him play thru No-D'Antoni's style.

Last edited:

Trin_Starr

Starter
I have been hearing reports and rumors of buying out Marbury one guy, Marc Berman, suggested it and a few others i know.

Actually Berman is one of the few who keeps saying that Marbury won't be bought out.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07022008/sports/knicks/knicks_make_bid_for_bulls_duhon_118135.htm

A person with knowledge of the situation said that if Duhon signs, "It has nothing to do with Stephon Marbury."

The Knicks believe Duhon is the pure playmaking point the club does not have, making him a good fit. Duhon's assist-to-turnover ratio last season was nearly 4-1.

There's been erroneous speculation Marbury could be bought out if the Knicks sign a PG. Duhon, the former Duke star, will instead compete for the starting job with Marbury, who is in Hollywood training and has been assured he'll be at camp.

Duhon gives the Knicks insurance if Marbury is not the same in camp after returning from ankle surgery at 31.

Duhon's signing could affect Nate Robinson more.

GetRealistic

Starter
Depends on which paper you read whether the writer believe he will be bought ought or not. But it doesn't cost any more money to buy him out. Either way he gets 21.9 mill.

Starks

Starter
Berman and Isola have been feuding for years.

I like Isola because he's not afraid to expose how classless of an organization the Knicks are.

Berman tries to hard to be buddy buddy with Marbury just so Steph can only speak to the media through him.

Interestingly though, I think the NY Post has got the best Sports Section in the USA

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I have been hearing reports and rumors of buying out Marbury one guy, Marc Berman, suggested it and a few others i know.I don't realize why the Knicks would buy out Marbury when he has one year left. Correct me if im wrong but don't you have to pay more money then is required on his contract to buy him out? What is the point in spending more money when Marbury might actually help us out being a veteran that can produce good numbers if he's healthy. He has one year left why don't we just wait untill his contract is up and let him go in free agency and not spend as much money?

Buying a player out does not mean you are paying the player more. You are essentially giving the player the remainder of the money owed to him in his contract, or sometimes less. So, in actuality the Knick organization might save money. But this will probably not happen in Steph's case. That usually happens when a player does not want to be on the team anymore, is a veteran and only has 1 year left on his contract. In that case, the player and management negotiate on a settlement to try and keep both sides satisfied. Management usualy offers the player a percentage of what he is owed. The player is payed less (i.e. saves management money), but is given the opportunity to sign a short term contract with another team (typically a contender). Sam Cassell being bought out buy the Clippers so he could sign with the Celtics is a perfect example.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Only players that are completely useless should be bought out, like Jerome James and Allen Houston. (Queue the dramatic chipmunk music please.)
Marbury is not a leader but I would never say that he's useless. Here's a thought that I think more people should embrace, move Marbury to the two and trade Crawford and Lee for someone good, really good. Who, I'll have to get back at you on that one.

jpz17

Starter
Only players that are completely useless should be bought out, like Jerome James and Allen Houston. (Queue the dramatic chipmunk music please.)
Marbury is not a leader but I would never say that he's useless. Here's a thought that I think more people should embrace, move Marbury to the two and trade Crawford and Lee for someone good, really good. Who, I'll have to get back at you on that one.

:alert:

Are you crazy????? Our secound best player from the 90s. # will be retired. Allstar like Houston??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?! HOW DARE YOU COMPARE HIM TO JEROME JAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Besides its Allan!

Last edited:

youpddd

Rookie
I've heard that the management might think that marbury might have a negative effect on the team by just playing to get over with his contract. thats what i heard, but i don't agree with it

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
:alert:

Are you crazy????? Our secound best player from the 90s. # will be retired. Allstar like Houston??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?! HOW DARE YOU COMPARE HIM TO JEROME JAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Besides its Allan!

LOL we do this every year. This wasn't a comparison of Houston to James, it's just that at the time Houston was paid millions and was 'injured' to the point that the league created a clause and named it after him so teams could rid them selves of overpaid players that don't or can't play. The point is these are the types of players you're suppose to cut or buy out. Marbury is not one of them. Forget about Houston's number being retired. Doesn't Jeffries have his number now?