A great article on Mike Dantoni given from a Suns fans P.O.V.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Ok so I just read the article and I have to say I am little by little starting to like this hire more and more. I admit like so many other Knick fans I was shocked by this hire, but, that may prove to be a bit short sited. Now per this article Curry could actually do well in this offense. There is a misconception that Dantoni teams only play run and gun ball when in actuality its simply about getting the easiest shot.

Hmm...this fan also thinks that Nash could be joining The Knicks one day (likely in the twighilight of his career) to serve as a mentor to whoever our PG will be.

Stephon and Q both got a long with Mike in Pheonix.

Mike teams go 7 deep (8 at the absolute most) meaning the ever changing rotations of the Brown and Isiah era are not going to prevelant this season. So if Eddy isnt in shape simply he wont/can't play because he is going to be needed to log heavy minutes.

Lastly; the PG is the most important position on the floor for Mike D, the rest of the players are just there to knock down the shots set up for by the PG. So likely we will not see a lot of Jamal's one on one play, but rather him hitting set jumpers and scoring off the break which are two of Jamal's most efficient areas of play.

I still don't envision a whol lot of success this season, but possibly next we could start to become a relevant team again!

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Good article. More posters should read it. It will be interesting to see what moves Walsh will make to support D'Antoni and how long it will take for the players to adapt to his style. The article is well written and optimistic, but I'm a realist. The front court has to be broken up in order to the Knicks to succeed.

Paul1355

All Star
Very good article

I agree, a great article. Basically because this person's knowledge of D'Antoni and his style are too much to ignore. You can basically predict what will happen reading this article. I can see Jared Jeffries and Malik Rose only playing when we are desperate or when a player is doing horrible. Which is good because both guys are horrible to begin with! I hated seeing Isiah giving bad players too much time and benching guys like David Lee and Wilson Chandler ALL THE TIME, it became a joke with his decision making on substitutions.
But back to the topic, we can predict Walsh's moves and a possible Nash move or a move for a PG with good passing skills and good court vision to lead and teach this team. I didn't know that Mike D stressed defense to create his run and gun style, I'm glad he is stressing fundamentals with this team, because we need to re-teach it. We need to stress fundamentals, stamina/quickness, and most of all....CHEMISTRY.

Trin_Starr

Starter
I read this article over the weekend. It was a great read and definitely gives me hope for the upcoming season.

Kiyaman

Legend
I too, read this article in another Knick Forum.

being a long time Knick-Fan that seen coach Hubie Brown, Holzman, Riley, Nelson, and JVG do their thang coaching the Knicks.
So this Dan Toni article with an optimistic hope of bringing back the dead dont sell here.
Coach Wilkins and Larry Brown proved that the Isiah roster is a 2 to 3 year Project just to become a 500 team.

The long analysis on Dan Toni is appreciated, but the samething could be said about the cross the river Nets coach Frank.
If coach Frank could have kept the roster lineup of Kidd, Kittles, Jefferson, and K-Mart for 3 to 4 straight seasons alot of the B-Ball world would be comparing him better than coach Eddie Jordan & O'Koren, and their ex-head coach Byron Scott. Making him a celebrity coach.

D'Antoni first full season as a NBA coach he inhereted four players that would make their country Olympic Team. Those four players had a foundation and a style they wanted to play at before D'Antoni became a head coach in the NBA. How many Euro-League players past & future have you seen that has the same intensity on the court as "Marion & Amare"? both players are born to be a "double-double" player in the NBA.
No offense intended but .......
Dan Toni is a celebrity coach.
His first real showing of NBA coaching will come with the Knicks.

George M.

Benchwarmer

being a long time Knick-Fan that seen coach Hubie Brown, Holzman, Riley, Nelson, and JVG do their thang coaching the Knicks.
So this Dan Toni article with an optimistic hope of bringing back the dead dont sell here.
Coach Wilkins and Larry Brown proved that the Isiah roster is a 2 to 3 year Project just to become a 500 team.

The long analysis on Dan Toni is appreciated, but the samething could be said about the cross the river Nets coach Frank.
If coach Frank could have kept the roster lineup of Kidd, Kittles, Jefferson, and K-Mart for 3 to 4 straight seasons alot of the B-Ball world would be comparing him better than coach Eddie Jordan & O'Koren, and their ex-head coach Byron Scott. Making him a celebrity coach.

D'Antoni first full season as a NBA coach he inhereted four players that would make their country Olympic Team. Those four players had a foundation and a style they wanted to play at before D'Antoni became a head coach in the NBA. How many Euro-League players past & future have you seen that has the same intensity on the court as "Marion & Amare"? both players are born to be a "double-double" player in the NBA.
Hey man,what article were YOU reading???? When Coach D figures out his 8 best players we shall see what he wants and should be able to see the logic in his choices.Those he deems inappropriate will get moved.

New New York

Quiet Storm

co-sign in that this will be Dantoni's first real test. But, you have to remember Kiya that even with all the talent The Suns had still no one expected them to win more than 36 games or so Mike's first season as coach, and they went on to the best record in the league that year. Now any team can have talent but if not coached right will not amount to a winning team(were a perfect example of it). I again have to say I'm still leary of this move and maybe not because of Mike, but because we have hope w/ every new hire and we have gotten no where. But Dantoni is a smart coach, and will for sure no how to utilize our player's offensive skills better than Larry Brown, and will for sure have a much better grasp for coaching, and more respect from our players than Isiah Thomas had.

Kiyaman

Legend
co-sign in that this will be Dantoni's first real test. But, you have to remember Kiya that even with all the talent The Suns had still no one expected them to win more than 36 games or so Mike's first season as coach, and they went on to the best record in the league that year. Now any team can have talent but if not coached right will not amount to a winning team(were a perfect example of it). I again have to say I'm still leary of this move and maybe not because of Mike, but because we have hope w/ every new hire and we have gotten no where. But Dantoni is a smart coach, and will for sure no how to utilize our player's offensive skills better than Larry Brown, and will for sure have a much better grasp for coaching, and more respect from our players than Isiah Thomas had.

I dont believe anyone was expecting a 36 WIN team from Phoenix after watching Amare his rookie season battle hard with Duncan in the playoffs.

Plus doing the "impossible" by trading Marbury & Penny for two expiring contracts Mcdyess & Ward. Gave Phoenix the jump over all the rest of the teams at going after a quick fast uptempo PG in FA Steve Nash to put Phoenix in the same winning racket as the Dallas Mavs.

Amare second season in the NBA, his head coach was Fired weeks after the start of the season. Why? Marbury & Penny thats why. and Dan Toni took over the head coaching job with 3 top scorers on the team (SG-Joe Johnson, Marion, and Amare) that could never score with Marbury & Penny shooting all the time.
Colanglo comon sense had to witness the Nets 360 turn around after getting rid of Marbury for his quick fast uptempo PG-Kidd (who deserved the MVP as a Nets, but wife beating stop that.).
So with a fast pace uptempo lineup of SG-JJ, F-Marion, and F/C-Amare the main missing piece was PG-Steve Nash.
But head coach Dan Toni wanted PG-Banks as his Starter. Anyone recall that offseason arguement?