Marty Collins under Dantoni

Kiyaman

Legend
For those who like or dislike Marty Collins, here's a decent question concerning how well Dantoni can coach young players into his system.

Can and will coach Dantoni improve 6.6 PG-Marty Collins performance this season where the next team will want his services on their roster before the trading deadline?

I seen the leadership performance in PG-Marty Collins talents and skillz on the court at Temple and in the NBA.
It seems Collins has started out his NBA career just like PG-Chauncey Billups who has turned out to be one of the NBA Top 5 PG in the league the last 5 years.

The Knicks broadcast announcer Walt Clyde Frazier seen so much potential in Marty Collins rookie season that he wanted to train him over the offseason to teach him how to take advantage of the 20 foot jumpshots that his height allows him to take over smaller defenders, plus help him define his defensive skillz on certain NBA players. All in all ex Knick Frazier wanted to teach Marty Collins all the things that made him such a successful NBA player.
I was looking foward to see Collins performance under a training process of ex-Knick Frazier. <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Paul1355

All Star
For those who like or dislike Marty Collins, here's a decent question concerning how well Dantoni can coach young players into his system.

Can and will coach Dantoni improve 6.6 PG-Marty Collins performance this season where the next team will want his services on their roster before the trading deadline?

I seen the leadership performance in PG-Marty Collins talents and skillz on the court at Temple and in the NBA.
It seems Collins has started out his NBA career just like PG-Chauncey Billups who has turned out to be one of the NBA Top 5 PG in the league the last 5 years.

The Knicks broadcast announcer Walt Clyde Frazier seen so much potential in Marty Collins rookie season that he wanted to train him over the offseason to teach him how to take advantage of the 20 foot jumpshots that his height allows him to take over smaller defenders, plus help him define his defensive skillz on certain NBA players. All in all ex Knick Frazier wanted to teach Marty Collins all the things that made him such a successful NBA player.
I was looking foward to see Collins performance under a training process of ex-Knick Frazier. <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Collins might not even be used this year, he shot 36% in the summer league and struggled last season.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Mardy Collins sucks. He'll be lucky to be on the roster this year. Allan Houston is planning on making a comeback, and even at age 37, I know Houston is a better shooter than Collins. I hope Collins can turn his career around, but from what I've seen, all Collins can do is get steals. He has zero jump shots, lay ups, free throws, or consistency. He's not even a real point guard. He only plays PG, because his lack of offense makes it hard for him to get minutes at the SG position, since the shooting guard is the main position where you need offense from.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Mardy Collins sucks. He'll be lucky to be on the roster this year. Allan Houston is planning on making a comeback, and even at age 37, I know Houston is a better shooter than Collins. I hope Collins can turn his career around, but from what I've seen, all Collins can do is get steals. He has zero jump shots, lay ups, free throws, or consistency. He's not even a real point guard. He only plays PG, because his lack of offense makes it hard for him to get minutes at the SG position, since the shooting guard is the main position where you need offense from.

cosign.

Houston over Collins anyday. Collins does get steals, but he makes turnovers more frequent so the steals are rarely noticed. lol.

TunerAddict

Starter
I really see Mardy as having a chance in D's system. He plays very much like Steve Nash. I may be a little biased, but Mardy's consistency with his ability to get in the lane and slash is much like Nash's ability and how he was able to drop the ball off to cutters like Amare, Marion, Diaw, etc...

With a good scoring bigman, possibly Lee, we could easily see Mardy hit the 8-9 asst a game average with the appropriate playing time. Hes big enough to pass over other PGs, strong enough to muscle around, and fast enough to blow by bigger guards.

He can't shoot. I'll give you that, though his teammate have said hes a great shooter in practice, its just that it doesn't translate over into the game. The same was said about Sasha Vujacic for the past couple years, that he was a 9-5 shooter, as in during practice and run throughs. Maybe we'll see him get that confidence he needs to actually make shots when it counts.

OR maybe not. Maybe he'll get cut.

Point i'm trying to make is that his type of game and his strengths lend themselves to Dantoni's style of play as shown before.

Kiyaman

Legend

So your saying that coach Dantoni cant help Collins improve on his weak areas as a PG. Is it because Dantoni could'nt help PG-Banks who he wanted to start over Nash?

PG-Marty Collins is a Bigger Charlie Ward who you would put as a tandem backcourt partner with SG-Houston.
At age 37 Allan Houston probably shoot better than all the Knicks SF, SG, and PG.

Scribbles

Rotation player
Mardy reminds me of a Chris Childs type of player. He's a solid guard who's able to dictate the tempo of the team as opposed to a guard like Nate Robinson who often outruns his own teammates on the court.

Whether that's good or bad, it can be argued in both cases but he's not a bust. But with the addition of Duhon who's arguably a better player and plays nearly identical as Mardy's game - his roster spot is in jeopardy.

Kiyaman

Legend
Mardy reminds me of a Chris Childs type of player. He's a solid guard who's able to dictate the tempo of the team as opposed to a guard like Nate Robinson who often outruns his own teammates on the court.

Whether that's good or bad, it can be argued in both cases but he's not a bust. But with the addition of Duhon who's arguably a better player and plays nearly identical as Mardy's game - his roster spot is in jeopardy.

I agree with you 100% on Duhorn simularity to Collins, that is what bothered me the most about signing Duhorn.
And its the main reason why I made this POST.
Dantoni had no intention on working with Marty Collins & Chandler to improve their level of performance with this offseason early addition of Gallinari & Duhorn.

When the Knicks bigest problem lies in the performance of players Marbury, Crawford, Q.Rich, and Zach. They are the players that need replacements not Collins & Chandler.

Mardy Collins plays a decent role at PG without Marbury & Crawford in the lineup.
I also notice that SF-Wilson Chandler played a much better role without Marbury & Crawford in the lineup.

The last two seasons David Lee were supposed to be the Knicks Starting PF (not Frye or Zach). Because if C-Curry or SF-Q.Rich got into early foul trouble Lee has the ability to switch and play their position without messing up the rotation of players in the first and second quarter.

Last season Balkman were suposed to be the Knicks Starting SF and Rookie Chandler was supposed to be his backup (not Q.Rich or Jefferies).

Last season to challenge SG-Crawford scoring performance the Knicks were not supposed to cut SG-Houston or SG-D.Nichols for SG-Fred Jones.

We watched Fred Jones, Jefferies, and Q.Rich take valuable playingtime away from real defensive players Balkman, Collins, and Chandler last season.

Toons

is the Bo$$
I agree with you 100% on Duhorn simularity to Collins, that is what bothered me the most about signing Duhorn.
And its the main reason why I made this POST.
Dantoni had no intention on working with Marty Collins & Chandler to improve their level of performance with this offseason early addition of Gallinari & Duhorn.

When the Knicks bigest problem lies in the performance of players Marbury, Crawford, Q.Rich, and Zach. They are the players that need replacements not Collins & Chandler.

Mardy Collins plays a decent role at PG without Marbury & Crawford in the lineup.
I also notice that SF-Wilson Chandler played a much better role without Marbury & Crawford in the lineup.

The last two seasons David Lee were supposed to be the Knicks Starting PF (not Frye or Zach). Because if C-Curry or SF-Q.Rich got into early foul trouble Lee has the ability to switch and play their position without messing up the rotation of players in the first and second quarter.

Last season Balkman were suposed to be the Knicks Starting SF and Rookie Chandler was supposed to be his backup (not Q.Rich or Jefferies).

Last season to challenge SG-Crawford scoring performance the Knicks were not supposed to cut SG-Houston or SG-D.Nichols for SG-Fred Jones.

We watched Fred Jones, Jefferies, and Q.Rich take valuable playingtime away from real defensive players Balkman, Collins, and Chandler last season.

i kinda see where ur going with this
first off, nichols cant play defense, and its about time u get over a guy we waived 3 years ago and is now in the dleague.
second, its easy to say what you should have done after it already has gone. who knew chandler would have produced on that level? maybe he dealt with the pressure of being in a rotation with 4 starters injured and had the need to step up. who knows? who the fukk is mardy collins??? he needs to be in the dleague. we already have steph, nate, duhon and roberson....all of them are better than mardy.
thirdly, dantoni is the coach, not the gm....stop hating on dantoni. he didnt draft anyone, donnie walsh did. walsh loves chandler, so i dont know where ur getting this from.
lastly, depth means having multiple players that can play and defend multiple positions, it dosent mean that the starter is being replaced.

ps. balkman isnt good enough to start on ANY team in the nba

Kiyaman

Legend
Continued

I watched the first two Knick Summer League Games vs Cavs and Spurs where those two teams SL players were going all out to win a place on those Elite teams roster. But the defense from 3-Knick Players held both teams back.

The Knicks players "Balkman, Chandler, and Collins" played in cahoot with each other and out performed both these teams on the defensive end of the court without much of a problem (when Balkman went down to injury vs Spurs early in the 2nd half the Knicks was up by 6 points and had lead the entire game).

I dont believe if the sneakers was on the other foot of "Fred Jones, Jefferies, and Q.Richardson" could have formulated a performance anywhere as good as these 3-players in a Summer-League game. And thats not an opinion or theory it's a fact of knowing winning team-players.

Collins & Balkman reminded me of the old Knicks knowing they were going to win on defense by being happy to give the ball to Chandler & Roberson at every oportunity they got to let them control the offensive scoring.
That player strategy is call "Teamship"...

Kiyaman

Legend
i kinda see where ur going with this
first off, nichols cant play defense, and its about time u get over a guy we waived 3 years ago and is now in the dleague.
second, its easy to say what you should have done after it already has gone. who knew chandler would have produced on that level? maybe he dealt with the pressure of being in a rotation with 4 starters injured and had the need to step up. who knows? who the fukk is mardy collins??? he needs to be in the dleague. we already have steph, nate, duhon and roberson....all of them are better than mardy.
thirdly, dantoni is the coach, not the gm....stop hating on dantoni. he didnt draft anyone, donnie walsh did. walsh loves chandler, so i dont know where ur getting this from.
lastly, depth means having multiple players that can play and defend multiple positions, it dosent mean that the starter is being replaced.

ps. balkman isnt good enough to start on ANY team in the nba

Toons, I know you did'nt write any of this BULL right here with out having your breakfast!

Balkman proved to be 10 times better than Jefferies and slow motion Q.Richardson in his Rookie Tazman performance.

If we did not have Dantoni we would not have Gallinari.
Gallinari father would have made him stay in Italy untill age 21 to play in the NBA. Gallinari was Big stuff in Italy.

D.Nichols is a shooter how many shooters do you know that plays defense.
Rumor has it that coach Skiles got fired for putting shooter D.Nichols in the D-league when the Bulls kept losing because they did'nt have an outside peremeter threat.

Do yourself a favor this season and compare D.Nichols defense to Star Gallinari defense.
The Bulls will play F/G-D.Nichols this season, or you havnt heard that Ben Gordon is still an unsigned FA...

GetRealistic

Starter
Toons, I know you did'nt write any of this BULL right here with out having your breakfast!

Balkman proved to be 10 times better than Jefferies and slow motion Q.Richardson in his Rookie Tazman performance.

If we did not have Dantoni we would not have Gallinari.
Gallinari father would have made him stay in Italy untill age 21 to play in the NBA. Gallinari was Big stuff in Italy.

D.Nichols is a shooter how many shooters do you know that plays defense.
Rumor has it that coach Skiles got fired for putting shooter D.Nichols in the D-league when the Bulls kept losing because they did'nt have an outside peremeter threat.

Do yourself a favor this season and compare D.Nichols defense to Star Gallinari defense.
The Bulls will play F/G-D.Nichols this season, or you havnt heard that Ben Gordon is still an unsigned FA...

Scott Skiles got fired for not playing Demetrius Nichols? You've got to be kidding me. You gotta let this summer league mirage go. Nichols is not a good player, he wasn't even that impactful at Syracuse. Good players play there way into the lineup, and the fact he couldn't play his way into three different lineups should tell you something.

Kiya is banned from watching summer leaugue and or ever commenting on Summer League. Balkman was medicore and hes gone, Nicholes is below mediocre and hes gone. Move on.

One more thing stop talking like you have inside NBA sources cause by the dribble that comes out of your mouth its obvious you know very little. You come on here with the same boring negitive rederic every morning, and all your posts amount to this.

GM Donnie Walsh and Coach D'Antoni aren't prepared for this job, we should have just hired our former summer league coach and started a lineup of Mardy Collins, Nicholes, 6'8 Tazman "waste of a 1st round pick" Balkman, and Randolph Morris. Get a clue and wait until this we've played an actual game to talk about D'Antoni's coach technique.

mynameis

Benchwarmer
kiyaman's post is the funniest thing I ever read tonight....hahhaha.D nichols wont even get minutes on euro league...

Kiyaman

Legend
Scott Skiles got fired for not playing Demetrius Nichols? You've got to be kidding me. You gotta let this summer league mirage go. Nichols is not a good player, he wasn't even that impactful at Syracuse. Good players play there way into the lineup, and the fact he couldn't play his way into three different lineups should tell you something.

Kiya is banned from watching summer leaugue and or ever commenting on Summer League. Balkman was medicore and hes gone, Nicholes is below mediocre and hes gone. Move on.

One more thing stop talking like you have inside NBA sources cause by the dribble that comes out of your mouth its obvious you know very little. You come on here with the same boring negitive rederic every morning, and all your posts amount to this.

GM Donnie Walsh and Coach D'Antoni aren't prepared for this job, we should have just hired our former summer league coach and started a lineup of Mardy Collins, Nicholes, 6'8 Tazman "waste of a 1st round pick" Balkman, and Randolph Morris. Get a clue and wait until this we've played an actual game to talk about D'Antoni's coach technique.

What was all that rhetric about? was it to insult me for not being optimistic again in the offseason. Get Real!
I was commenting on Knick young players that come-together and play-together on the court. I'm sorry if I did not mention any of your so-call Knick franchise players from the last 5 years.

Get Realistic, you need to listen to the song "Be for Real".
It's alright for you and others to start this Knick season being optimistic with Walsh & Dantoni, that is your priviledge. Dont knock me or the next man for not following in your foot steps.

If you are going to quote me quote me right dont twist my words like a .....
I said, "Rumor has it, that coach Skiles got Fired for putting D.Nichols in the D.League.".
check the date Skiles were Fired and the rumors in the Chicago forums.
We are talking about a young Bulls team that Vegas had winning 45 to 50 games before last season began.

GetRealistic

Starter
Nicholes didn't even join the Bulls until a few months into the season. Nichols played on the Cavs for the very early season. I never said you had to be optimistic. I'll tell you right now my prediction is for us to win 33 games. I wouldn't call 8 games under .500 optimistic, i'd call it realisitc and a ten game improvement over last season.

You come on here and post the same thing over and over and over and over and over....... again. We get it, get some new material. I highly doubt you could find one person on this forum who believes we can be any better then .500. But thier are many of us who atleast believe there is a plan in motion. Cap space is being created, and with the emergence of a Wilson Chandler, and this years lottery pick maybe the future is bright.

From the looks of it Randolph will be traded, and Marbury will be bought out so the core of these past losing teams is slowly being let go, i'd say for the hand hes been dealt hes done his job thus fair.

What we all really want from you is to move on, i'll even give you a pass on Balkman, but Nicholes never even played a single regular season minute for this team, so in my opinion he never was a Knick. Let it go and talk about something this new regime has done. Donnie/D'Antoni had nothing to do with Nicholes being cut. If you want to get right down to it, Nicholes was the main reason Nicholes got cut. Nicholes was told to go play in Europe for a season then come back, and he refused to. In retrospect i'm thinking he would love to rethink that decision and go to Europe for a year. He probably played in about 15 games last season at most.

portega1968

El Cacique
RHETORIC!!! dang some people should not live without a spell checker.. or should I say spelchekr? jajajaja

Kiya, you vouching for Nichols and Balkman is like republicans asking McCain to bring back Dan Quayle and Newt Gingrich dude. That cro you're smoking may be mixed with some rat poison bro'... find a chemist ASAP.

Who was it that said Mardy Collins reminded him of Chauncey Billups out of college? Please ask Kiya to give you the number of that chemist homey.