Randolph is a Doormat, NY Times

CoolClyde

Actually, NY Times article says Randolph to Memphis deal is dormant.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/10/sports/basketball/10knicks.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

The fact that Donnie would rather not trade a first round pick and a 20-10 starter in Zebo, for 2 Serbian bench players, speaks volumes of his tenacity and intelligence. Let's see Zebo play for a real coach. Let's see the whole Knick team in camp perform for a proven winner, as opposed to a demoted president-turned-coach. I'm totally for keeping our picks, and letting the players play to their potential, before trading ol' meat-and-potatoes for the frack of it. Donnie sees the whole picture, how the whole Memphis deal was blown out of proportion by the New York media, blogs etc. Screw those Grizzlies!

I can't wait for Donnie to unload Jerome "2-minutes-per-season" James.

OK.
CoolClyde

Kiyaman

Legend
Crittenton on the table?
Our friends at Hoopsworld had this to offer in today's "Morning Report" regarding the Zach-to-Memphis situation.

Memphis Has Demands: So here is the latest on the Knicks and Grizzlies trade talks. The Grizzlies have agreed to the frame work of a deal that would send Darko Milicic and Marko Jaric to the Knicks in exchange for Zach Randolph and a future first round draft pick. The Knicks are reported to have countered with Zach Randolph and cash going to Memphis. Memphis seems interested in the deal, but is pushing hard for a future first round draft pick.

The Knicks have made it clear that the only way they'd send out a future first, is if they got a promising young player in return.
The Grizz reportedly put Javaris Crittenton on the table; the Knicks seem luke warm on JCritt. It's been suggested by sources close to the Knicks talks, that the Knicks would send a protected future first if it returned Hakim Warrick or Kyle Lowry. The Grizzlies seem less than interested in that combination. League sources contend this deal is squarely in the Knicks hands, and that neither side has put a timetable on this deal. Both teams would like to resolve their business before training camps open, meaning this thing could drag on for several more days.

Crittenton would be a nice addition because he's another guard who can defend, but for a first-round pick? You make the call.

This thing has sprung many leaks at this point.

Stay tuned . . .

Source: NY Times

Donnie Walsh told the New York Times that talks with the Memphis Grizzlies about a trade for Zach Randolph have been dormant for weeks.
"There was a discussion about different formats, and it never got anywhere," Walsh said Monday.
"It was a conversation I had with these guys a month ago," Walsh said. "We haven't talked recently. For some reason, it was in the Memphis press and everyone in New York acts like it's imminent."
Asked if a trade with the Grizzlies is still possible, Walsh said, "I can't say anything is over," but he said no proposal is on the table.

It may therefore be likely that the Knicks will not make any major roster changes before training camp opens in October. "I'll be fine with that," Walsh said of that possibility. "I want to see a lot of the players play and see what it would take to come together as a team. But that doesn't mean that I won't be talking for the next three weeks."

And members in this forum wondered why I called Donnie Walsh an "IDIOT" for not grabing that deal from the Clippers and running with it.
It seem like every NBA team is expecting a first round pick to take on the Knicks 20/10 Franchise Player Zach Randolph...
:machinegun::machinegun::machinegun:

thank god for walsh man. This deal was terrible from the get go. EVery one trying to say Darko would fit in well with us, are you kidding me, the dude is a little bitch, and after 5 years in the league, it is obvious he will never develop into a 1st round pick quality player. he can block shots, but so i can nate robinson. Donnie darko walsh, much credit my friend, hence the exp contract of zach lasts 3 years. so we could wait until the trading deadline of not even this season, but next season to square away cap space for lebron or joe johnson or who ever. why be so impatient.

KBlack25

Starter
thank god for walsh man. This deal was terrible from the get go. EVery one trying to say Darko would fit in well with us, are you kidding me, the dude is a little bitch, and after 5 years in the league, it is obvious he will never develop into a 1st round pick quality player. he can block shots, but so i can nate robinson. Donnie darko walsh, much credit my friend, hence the exp contract of zach lasts 3 years. so we could wait until the trading deadline of not even this season, but next season to square away cap space for lebron or joe johnson or who ever. why be so impatient.

Thank you so much! Someone else on this board realizes the worthlessness of Darko...

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Darko is not the problem.

Darko is not the problem with the deal. His contract does not run into 2010. The problems are Jaric's contract running into 2010 and the first fround pick.

I would be happy to give Zach away just to get rid of his contract. Remember that Portland gave us Zach and his contract for Frye and Steve Francis and his contract. Portland promptly paid $30M plus to Francis and said get lost. That means that Portland paid $30M plus for Frye the opportunity to jettison Zach and his contract. Would anyone recommend buying Frye back for $30M?

And as I recall, the Clippers deal was not a straight up second round pick for Zach. Rather, they would give us a second round pick for Zach and our first round pick. He is perceived as junk that can only be removed at a cost.

Yes, I know all about 20 and 10, but so did Portland and every other team. Who is knocking at our door?

Darko might help. He is still young. But if he does not work out, he does not hamstring the rebuilding effort. Its Jaric's contract and the first round pick that have negative long term effects.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Interesting article from a Memphis newspaper. The league knows Zach is a cancer. If we don't get rid of him soon, we'll be stuck with him, and our chances of getting a big-time free agent in 2011 will be done. We are not going to get equal value for him. Portland had to pay $30 mil to get rid of a 20/10 guy. We're going to have to do the same.

Zach's value will not increase this year. Trust me. How do you think Zach is going to react when D'Antoni benches him because he's not passing the ball? Throw water in somebody's face again?

We have to get rid of him as soon as possible. That doesn't mean we should get screwed (giving a 1st round pick), but we should all forget about getting equal value.

Acquiring Randolph would be worst move Grizzlies could make
By Geoff Calkins (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Two years ago, late in Brandon Roy’s rookie year, the Portland Trail Blazers lost yet another game. Zach Randolph went on a rant in the locker room afterward, calling out teammates, pointing fingers, telling other players they weren’t pulling their weight.

Roy told Randolph to sit down and shut up. The next day, he went to see Portland general manager Kevin Pritchard and told him to get rid of Randolph.

“We can’t win with this guy,” said Roy, in so many words.

Pritchard dealt Randolph to Isiah Thomas’s New York Knicks that offseason. Now the Knicks are trying to find a sucker to help them rectify Thomas’s mistake.

Enter the Memphis Grizzlies. You knew that was coming, right?

If there’s a dumb move out there to be made, chances are your local NBA team will find a way to get involved.

Sure enough, the entire NBA universe is reporting that the Grizzlies and Knicks have talked about a swap that would bring Randolph to Memphis in exchange for Marko Jaric and Darko Milicic.

Sources close to the negotiations say that the deal can’t go through until Knicks president Donnie Walsh and Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni stop high-fiving each other long enough to complete the paperwork.

Or maybe the Knicks do not want to appear too eager. Although, why wouldn’t they be eager to get rid of a fat, shoot-first power forward who destroys locker rooms, disdains defense, regularly shows up in police reports and will make $48 million over the next three years?

So the Knicks called the Grizzlies. Because what other team were they going to call?

The Clippers already said “no.” The Knicks knew they couldn’t foist a guy like Randolph off on a credible franchise.

“Hello, Chris Wallace?” said Walsh, which I actually understand. It was worth a try, right? But why didn’t Wallace slam down the phone?

Wasn’t it just yesterday that he and Grizzlies owner Mike Heisley were talking about building with the young kids, and letting them grow and develop, and not wavering from the three-year plan?

How does Randolph fit with a three-year plan? How does he fit with an impressionable, young team?

Sam Smith, who covered the NBA for roughly 126 years for the Chicago Tribune, once took a good stab at re-creating Randolph’s rap sheet. I’d include it in this column but, honestly, I don’t have the room.

Randolph was suspended by the Trail Blazers for sucker-pouncingpunching a teammate. He was suspended by the Trail Blazers for making obscene gestures to a fan. He was arrested in Portland for driving under the influence of booze and dope. He was sued by a woman for sexual assault. And, my personal favorite: While on bereavement leave from the Trail Blazers in connection with the death of his girlfriend’s cousin, Randolph left a strip club without paying the bill.

This is a man the Grizzlies have thought about adding to their impressionable young nucleus? This is the guy they want teaching Darrell Arthur what it means to be a power forward in the NBA?

Arthur: “Boy, it was really stupid of me to get caught with women and weed at the NBA’s rookie seminar.”

Randolph: “It sure was, rook. Next time, remember to disconnect the smoke alarm.”

What possible rationale could there be for this kind of move? At worst, Randolph kills the locker room and the team. At best, he gets the Grizzlies five more wins and makes it harder for the franchise to find a a long-term answer at power forward in next year’s lottery. All for the bargain basement price of $48 million over the next three years.

Please, don’t tell me the deal will enable the Grizzlies to get ride of Milicic’s bad contract, either. The Grizzlies offered Milicic that contract just one year ago. Now that mistake could be the team’s justification for making a bigger one?

It’s management by impulse, by overreaction, by today’s spasm of an idea. Give Marc Iavaroni all the power. Play offense like the Suns. Strip Iavaroni of everything but his job. Play defense like the Pistons. Deal the expensive power forward for financial flexibility. Acquire an expensive power forward and flexibility be hanged.

Mind you, the preceding paragraph has all happened in the last year. And Heisley wonders why the franchise doesn’t win.

The Grizzlies should walk away from any potential trade for Randolph. If they won’t listen to me, they should listen to the people who know the big guy best.

The Trail Blazers drafted Randolph out of Michigan State. They employed him for six years. And when they assembled a locker room of promising young talent, they shipped him as far away from that locker room as possible.

Now the Grizzlies are assembling a locker room of promising young talent. And they’re thinking about making Randolph the highest-paid player — and therefore, the instant leader — of that team?

Don’t do it, Mr. Heisley. Don’t abandon your three-year plan.

Zach Randolph is not a guy you can win with. Ask Brandon Roy.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Interesting article from a Memphis newspaper. The league knows Zach is a cancer. If we don't get rid of him soon, we'll be stuck with him, and our chances of getting a big-time free agent in 2011 will be done. We are not going to get equal value for him. Portland had to pay $30 mil to get rid of a 20/10 guy. We're going to have to do the same.

Zach's value will not increase this year. Trust me. How do you think Zach is going to react when D'Antoni benches him because he's not passing the ball? Throw water in somebody's face again?

We have to get rid of him as soon as possible. That doesn't mean we should get screwed (giving a 1st round pick), but we should all forget about getting equal value.

good article, i didn't know that Roy and Randolph had a feud like that back in the day. I you could find were that exact story came from, that would be interesting to put up.

Zach sounds like a CHEMISTRY cancer by all of this information.

My prediction: Walsh and D'Anotni will try to work with Zach to improve his chemistry issues. One screw up, Zach is gone. Walsh sounds like a "no second chance" kind of guy. Marbury only has a clean slate because Walsh wasn't around when he was making headlines. Other than that excuse, Marbury would have been gone a long time ago. This team now has a mind set with Chemistry being the #1 goal, why? Because that is what Mike D'Anotni stresses the most. And that is now his main goal with this team. Chemistry works wonders, and this team has none of it. If Randolph affects that this year....I assure you Knick fans, Zach will be gone regardless of any bad trade offer.

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here

thank you...i have been saying this since like...ever...that is the reason i would pic curry over him :barf:but its true you can not win with this guy at all and you cant bench him for anything or hell cry like a lil baby i rather have scrubs that people get along with then a good player that players hate passing the ball 2...ima be mad if Randolph still in this team in the beginning of the season...and after hes gone then we talk curry but gettin rid of this dude is 1ST!

CoolClyde

Memphistula Randolph

damn, that memphis article points out everything we knew was wrong with Zebo, and lots more i didn't know. what an a$$hole! i take back everything i said about 20/10, but i still wouldn't trade a first round pick...

i heard about that Roy confrontation a few months ago and it didnt surprise me at all

the guy tried to start ish with with Nate

doesnt that scream problem?

jpz17

Starter
now you guys know why walsh was being slow, and know stop complaining about why walsh didn't make any moves on draft night...... I told you, WALSH WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY CRAP OFFERED TO HIM(bad offers for you people who can't read!)

KBlack25

Starter
i heard about that Roy confrontation a few months ago and it didnt surprise me at all

the guy tried to start ish with with Nate

doesnt that scream problem?

In fairness to Zach (not in defense of him), Nate has been known to start problems in the locker room. He fought Malik Rose while he was naked in the shower and also started a fight with Jerome James. So Nate is no angel either...

Kiyaman

Legend
For those of you members who want Zach Randolph on this team next season and think we should not have grabbed the first or any of the offers for Zbo.......need to know.... Nobody wants to be Zbo teammate!

Later for all that "RHETORIC" get Zach off this Knick roster so we could see a Bigman lineup of C-Curry, PF/SF-Lee, SF-Chandler, and PF/SF-Gallo get the majority of bigmen playingtime this 2008-9 season.
We know we are not going to the playoffs but we can start developing players that want to win together.

The Knicks supposed to be working on future players like whether to re-sign David Lee to a decent contract if he perform well alongside of Gallo & Chandler.
Curry is worth keeping for another season to raise his stock plus no team this offseason is asking for a first round pick (also) to take Curry.
Getting rid of Zach Randolph will make Lee a double-double player and give Curry the chance to become the 20/6 performer downlow again.
Damn this is so easy to see.
Get rid of Zach and then concentrate on adding a defensive Bigman after that.

This is still Isiah Thomas Team if Walsh refuse to let go of Isiah's 7 cancer players on the roster. You can say what you want but these are still Isiah's players on the roster.
And Zach is the worst Cancer-Player of them all.
Even Marbury cant top Zbo cancer.

Stop the foolish Bloodclod justification of Donnie Walsh stupidness for not taking the Clippers first offer and Memphis first offer.
Donnie Walsh is too old for this Knick job! not learning nothing from his slowness on the Clippers deal, and doing the samething on the Memphis deal.
Now Memphis want a first rounder along with Zach Randolph.

Only a fool could say Zach Randolph is a good player or a decent player.
Zach Randolph couldnt win games with Ratliff or Magloire defensive presence helping him.

Zbo is PURE-Cancer to his teammates.....there is only one thing to do with a player like Zbo. Give up the future first round pick (2012 or something) to get this 20/10 loser off the team.

I'm sure coach McMillian gave coach Dantoni the 411 on Zach Randolph on the USA Olympic Team.
What is wrong with Donnie Walsh...... when Dantoni had Jaric working out with Knick players in New York before the deffered payments were added to the offer...

dre48ny

Rotation player
Requesting a first round pick is a deal breaker. We can't keep giving them away for nothing. It was ok for the origin deal a back up Center with some D and a short contract and a guard who can be traded in 2 years because he would have only 1 year left and it could help teams clear cap space. They are not all stars but the contractual situation is worth looking at. First round picks are valuable!!!

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Getting Rid of Zach's Contract is not "Nothing."

I hate to give up a draft pick, even if conditional and even if 2012 or thereafter. But getting rid of Zach's contract and the $17.33M 2010 price tag is not "nothing."

Jaric will have an expiring contract after 2009 but no team wants an expiring contract unless it can exchange it for contracts that do not expire. Otherwise there is no cap space benefit to the acquiring team. That is why Stephon is not movable. Such a trade for Jaric obviously will not help Knick 2010 cap space. But Jaric's contract, with only one year left, will be easier to deal than a contract with several years left.

As matters now stand all of the Knicks contracts that extend into 2010 --Zach, Jamal, Curry and Jefferies -- expire in 2010.
I believe that one of the major problems with Isiah's management was a gross over-estimation of the value of expiring conracts. Why in the world did he acquire Jalen Rose only to buy out his $16M plus contract shortly thereafter?

Kiyaman

Legend
As much as I dont like giving away a future first round draft pick (2011 or12), but the expiring contracts of Marbury & Malik says trade the first round pick along with chaos Zach Randolph and buy out Jerome James, so this Knick organization could start building properly with just a few more headcases to get rid of.