Knicks to Waive Marbury by Week's End

Trin_Starr

Starter
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/2008/09/end_of_an_error_nears.html

This doesn't make the Knicks better on paper, but, then again, Stephon Marbury didn't often enough make the Knicks better on the court, either. So the inevitable will be official by the end of the week. We have a story about it in the Tuesday edition of Newsday.

It's not official yet, but all indications are that Marbury will be given word sometime this week that he need not make plans to be in Saratoga Springs next Tuesday. Not that Marbury doesn't already have a sense that he isn't wanted. He'd been hearing enough of it throughout the offseason and it seemed pretty obvious when Chris Duhon was signed that the Knicks planned to move on without him.

All indications are, Fixers, that they will by this weekend.

I was also told by a few guys earlier on Monday that Stephon played in the pickup games with the other Knick veterans at the MSG Training Center. Marbury had been working out on his own, so it was a bit of a surprise to see him jump into the run.

Know this: Marbury is in good physical shape. Wherever he winds up -- my bet is Miami -- he'll likely play well. This is what I believe has led to Donnie Walsh waiting so long before he pulled the trigger: it's not easy to hand almost $20 million (buyout) to someone and have him go play for the veteran's minimum elsewhere at potentially an all-star level.

But everyone in the NBA by now knows you get two sides of Starbury. You get the driven, unstoppable offensive force who can still get to the hole and knock down a three. But you also get the petulant, self-involved and intolerable personality that can destroy the sanctity of a locker room and undermine a coach. (In other words, good luck Erik Spoelstra).

Here's a guarantee where Marbury won't be headed: Charlotte.

One guy at the training center on Monday said the uneasiness of the other Knicks veterans when Marbury was around was palpable. There was just a sense of disdain. "You could just feel the hate," he told me.

This is addition-by-subtraction for the Knicks, a means of cleansing the franchise; removing the face of a forgettable era in the franchise's history. There is still plenty left to malign in the new era under Walsh and Mike D'Antoni -- Eddy Curry's conditioning, Zach Randolph's immovable contract and the inability of anyone to play perimeter defense -- but Marbury had so often represented the reasons why it was easy to hate the Knicks, from his ubiquitous frown under a towel at the end of the bench to his care-free grin after leaving the courthouse where he testified about his tryst with a team intern, which crippled the Garden's case in the sexual harrassment trial eventually won by Anucha Browne Sanders.

I struggled to cover Marbury because at times he was very likable and many times you could see the wide-eyed precocious kid he once was show himself. I had great respect for his dedication to pregame preparation; his focus as he went through his methodical routine. Shot after shot after shot. Like a machine. I don't think he was as dedicated to the game film and scouting reports, but he certainly was dedicated to himself.

When he lost his father last December, we shared some words. But he and I both knew it would be back to the grind in no time. I always quote Bob Sugar from the movie Jerry Maguire, who tells a client, "It's not show-friends, it's show-business."

It should have been a great story; the Brooklyn-born basketball star who came home to lead the Knicks and was given the Garden as his personal playground. But it instead became a cautionary tale: give a person too much rope and they just might hang themselves.

dre48ny

Rotation player
Incredible. Marbury is in good shape and healthy, he could be of use. Wow throwing away 21 million. His contract expires anyway, why not let him play a few games and then if it doesn't work out, work out a deal. Teams will still pick him up.

I don't know, I guess the players aren't too fond of him and believe they can be better without his distractions, who knows what goes on in that locker room. The Heat will take a shot at him.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Newsday reports sources close to the Knicks expect Marbury to be waived before the end of the week.

One person in the Knicks' workout room claims that there was palpable hate from the other players on the team towards Marbury

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spknix0923,0,2403293.story

I bet that knicks' vet who said that was Q-Brick...I don't know why so many people are high on that @ss...if you want to pretend to be a leader - lead by example and make your wide open shots you damn scrub...

BTW - Here's a good analysis about the situation from Hoopsworld.com
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10044

Marbury Buyout?: Reports from New York this morning continue to suggest the Knicks will be buying out and waiving guard Stephon Marbury before training camp opens next Monday. Whether or not this actually happens has a lot of moving parts, but in all seriousness, no one inside the Knicks organization will mirror these comments. It's inevitable that the Knicks part ways with Stephon, but where is the benefit to the Knicks? Steph is in the final year of his deal earning $21.9 million. There is a modern belief that you're guaranteed to pay Steph $21.9 million, the question becomes how much can you get him to knock off in order to be free of the Knicks? Would knocking $2 million off the deal be enough to get James Dolan to write off another deal? Is telling Cablevision shareholders that you saved $2 million enough? From a basketball side, Stephon is said to be in the best shape physically of his life, his ankle injury is said to be fully healed, and he's said to be killing the ball from outside. True there is last year, and the circus Stephon became, but it was that way with Eddy Curry and Zach Randolph too. Most of last year was because of Isiah Thomas, does that mean Steph has to go? It's easy to say cut the guy loose, but it's commonly believed that as soon as Steph clears waivers, which no one has the ability to pick up a $21.9 million waiver; as soon as Steph clears waivers he'll land in Miami or similar playoff caliber team in need of a point guard. With Steph in the best shape of his life, and playing for a contract it seems almost silly for the Knicks to not at least try him on in training camp, but if you listen to the reports, the ball may be in motion to serve ties and start fresh. If waiving Stephon is indeed the case and no one with the Knicks will admit that on or off the record, but if that is the case, Stephon Marbury could be released before week's end. Just don't put money on it.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Incredible. Marbury is in good shape and healthy, he could be of use. Wow throwing away 21 million. His contract expires anyway, why not let him play a few games and then if it doesn't work out, work out a deal. Teams will still pick him up.

I don't know, I guess the players aren't too fond of him and believe they can be better without his distractions, who knows what goes on in that locker room. The Heat will take a shot at him.

There are alot of teams will scoop him up in minutes...
1. Miami
2. Boston
3. Golden State
4. Indy
5. Denver

C'mon now - Donnie is crazy to pay him $21mil to play for another team...if that's the case and the only reason they don't want marbury to play on the team is for chemistry reasons then they should send him home a la Penny Hardaway...keep him til february trading deadline...an $21 mil expiring is always good to have...this move makes no sense...

The articles say he is killing the shot from outside - which is a huge plus in D'Antoni's system...plus Duhon is garbage - if anyone believes he'll be a poor Steve nash - they're in for a big surprise!

http://www.nba.com/fantasy/draftkit/ny_08.html

Bust:
Chris Duhon: We're not at all convinced that Duhon will win - or hang on to - the starting job. Even if he does, he might not get that many touches -- Crawford may dominate the ball. Don't go drafting Duhon thinking you'll get some Steve Nash-lite stats. You might not even get Earl Watson-lite.

portega1968

El Cacique
ya'll can debate the pros and cons of this decision forever... and I know ya'll will.

fact is, having him on the team will probably lead to more turmoil, whereas him leaving should accelerate the change this teams needs.

it's a pity the homeboy is the scapegoat, but I think it's time we move on and concentrate on the future.

stop the hating between Team Starbury and the Haters... its time we leave this behind and come together as one to support our team's rebuilding.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
We are going to suck this year, with or without Marbury. Talent-wise, and financially, this doesn't make sense. But if he pisses off his teammates that much, then he's gotto go. He's had problems with teammates in the past.

Marbury, who created a huge divide between himself and teammates after he went AWOL in Phoenix last November, stayed to himself with his workouts at the MSG Training Center this offseason until Monday, when he joined the other Knicks veterans in pickup games. One observer from Monday's workout noted the uneasy atmosphere among the other players. "You could just feel the hate," the person said.

If there is that much hate for him, then this really is "addition by subtraction". The team will be better without him. Regardless of how much talent Marbury has, if the majority of the team doesn't want him around, then the chemistry will be better when he's gone and the team will be better.

Marbury lovers want to say this team will be worse without him. We will be less talented for sure. But talent and stats aren't everything when it comes to winning games. Sometimes chemistry is more important.

Starks

Starter
What it comes down to is that even if Marbs has some kind of MVP type season, its pointless in the grand scheme for the Knicks' Organization.

They don't like him, the players seem to hate him, and the Knicks only goal this season is to build a positive team atmosphere. Not the playoffs, not even a .500 record.

I believe they tried hard to move him all off season and could not find any takers....(Most teams probably figured that they didn't need to trade for him since they were confident he would be waived).

I think Walsh and Mike D had a timetable to move him and if they couldn't it would be agreed that they would just kick him off the team.

I think thats what went on here. Basically, I think its a personal thing with him, not a talent thing. Thats why him putting up big numbers isn't an issue I guess. That's how I take it. Nobody knows.

Starks

Starter
We are going to suck this year, with or without Marbury. Talent-wise, and financially, this doesn't make sense. But if he pisses off his teammates that much, then he's gotto go. He's had problems with teammates in the past.

If there is that much hate for him, then this really is "addition by subtraction". The team will be better without him. Regardless of how much talent Marbury has, if the majority of the team doesn't want him around, then the chemistry will be better when he's gone and the team will be better.

Marbury lovers want to say this team will be worse without him. We will be less talented for sure. But talent and stats aren't everything when it comes to winning games. Sometimes chemistry is more important.

Just like the Boston Red Sox trade of Manny Ramirez.

Toons

is the Bo$$
if we keep marbury, we are defeating the purpose of getting under the cap. if marbs has a all star year....will you still allow his contract to expire at the end of the season? if steph plays his heart out, and shows change, and even takes less money, he still will hurt us in the long run, along with the chemistry woes. We need to establish chemestry....we have always had talented guys
marbury is just an asshole

GetRealistic

Starter
This is the right move. The Knicks team the last 5 years has had talent, but has had no winning attitude. Marbury has to go, even the biggest Marbury fan knows in the back of his head that his time in NY is gone.

Also Marbury will get a job in the NBA but i don't think people will be lining up to take him. Boston won't touch Marbury they are the defending champs and have a nice young point guard in Rondo and a veteran backup in Cassell. Not to mention KG wants nothing to do with Marbury. Marbury would fit in Miami but i can't see Pat Riley putting up with his nonsense. Indy is in full on rebuild mode and also i'm pretty sure Larry Bird would want nothing to do with Marbury. I could see Denver picking him up but talk about a dysfunctional team with K-Mart, Melo, AI, and Marbury.

Maybe Boston or Miami would be stupid and sign him, and in that case he will slowly destroy those teams as well.

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
This is the right move. The Knicks team the last 5 years has had talent, but has had no winning attitude. Marbury has to go, even the biggest Marbury fan knows in the back of his head that his time in NY is gone.

Also Marbury will get a job in the NBA but i don't think people will be lining up to take him. Boston won't touch Marbury they are the defending champs and have a nice young point guard in Rondo and a veteran backup in Cassell. Not to mention KG wants nothing to do with Marbury. Marbury would fit in Miami but i can't see Pat Riley putting up with his nonsense. Indy is in full on rebuild mode and also i'm pretty sure Larry Bird would want nothing to do with Marbury. I could see Denver picking him up but talk about a dysfunctional team with K-Mart, Melo, AI, and Marbury.

Maybe Boston or Miami would be stupid and sign him, and in that case he will slowly destroy those teams as well.

Marbury can't go to Miami. Dwayne Wade already has #3 and Marbury has the same number, which is tatooed on his head. LOL. I can already see the first lockerroom fight in Miami. Starbury starts bitchin' because the Heat's franchise player won't change his number.

GetRealistic

Starter
Marbury can't go to Miami. Dwayne Wade already has #3 and Marbury has the same number, which is tatooed on his head. LOL. I can already see the first lockerroom fight in Miami. Starbury starts bitchin' because the Heat's franchise player won't change his number.

Didn't even think of that. Thats hilarious.

portega1968

El Cacique
why the **** haven't we heard Marion for Marbury?

I guess DAntoni doesnt want the matrix either or Pat Riley is not that stupid.

portega1968

El Cacique
It just kills me that we're gonna give him all that money to play elsewhere.

Let's trade him to Armani Milano!!!

Think about it.... pay him the money he's gonna get anyway but don't release him... give him permission to take his game to Italy for this season.

Or even better, send him to the NBDL!!!

It's gonna be a sorry day when he comes in to MSG wearing a Heat uniform and watch him drop 40 on Duhon while we pay him all that money.

How things work, we'll win that game despite his 40 points, jajajajajajja.

Trin_Starr

Starter

Think about it.... pay him the money he's gonna get anyway but don't release him... give him permission to take his game to Italy for this season.

It's gonna be a sorry day when he comes in to MSG wearing a Heat uniform and watch him drop 40 on Duhon while we pay him all that money.

I totally agree with that!

Blumatic

Rotation player

His first visit here, he's gonna go one fire. He beter not do a Sprewell and start cursing up a storm. He says he's a knicks fan, so he better relax.

But I expect that returning players have good games against former teams. Even Ewing had a good 1st half when he was with Seattle or Oklahoma whatever.

With Isiah and Steph gone......And Walsh and D'antoni here....It is the
NO-BITCHASSNESS era. And it feels good.

Trin_Starr

Starter
With Isiah and Steph gone......And Walsh and D'antoni here....It is the
NO-BITCHASSNESS era. And it feels good.

Not really - one thing I've learned about knicks fans is that they always need to blame something for their demise - so as soon as Marbury is jettisoned...the next man they're gonna pin all the knicks failures on is Zach and after Zach it's gonna be Curry and after Curry it's gonna be Crawford - just like how they did to Ewing and H20 - now they're dying to have any semblance of those players come back to the knicks...

New New York

Quiet Storm
First off what we shouldve learned from The Zach to Memphis trade proposal that supposedly iminent transactions are often blown way out of proportion! Not to mention this reports comes from the exact same source! So don't put too much stock in this claim!

Now for Walsh to consider buying out an A player who is in the best playing shape of his life has to lead us to believe that there is turmoil amongst his teamates (and no it's not just Q-Rich because he certainley does not have the pull to get Steph bought out). Look as a basketball player I love Steph's game, and I am/was looking forward to seeing how he would look under Dantoni, but, there are intangiables to this situation that we the fans could not possibly understand. For instance if he has truley divided to locker room; players like T.O. and Manny Rameirez have shown that regardless of your talent level if you terrorize the locker room your on the court/field production is nullified if not out weighed. Now Steph's father died after the incident in Pheonix and the team rallied behind him after his father's death, so it is puzzling to think that the team is still holding onto a grudge from the whole Pheonix awol situation. Is there more we don't know about?

I am for now taking this report with a huge grain of salt, but if (huge if) it is true than something major is prompting Donnie's descion, and it very well could be Mike Dantoni and not just the Knicks players.