What's the deal?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
As much as I love the Knicks, I'm hopelessly unaware of our upcoming draft status.

I know that there's been some threads, but I have to read through numerous posts to get all the info and don't have the time.

For those in the know, can you enlighten me (and others that don't know) as to the situation please. eg: Likelihood of a top 5 pick etc.

What's the deal?

Thanks a lot.

JayJ44

Starter
Well, we don't know how high our pick will be until we know our record. If we don't make the playoffs, we're in the lottery, and have a possibility to get the 1st pick. If we do make the playoffs, it goes in order of the record, the worst record of the teams that made the playoffs picking first after the lottery teams. We have 3 picks this year; 1 in the 1st round, and 2 in the 2nd. We got one from the Balkman deal from Denver.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
check the thread "i know its early but who should we draft" theres player profiles and updates on the draft boards who's moving up and who's moving down....right now the player who helped his stock the most is Stephen Curry and the one who's dropped the most is Demar DeRozan.....

but yea we have a 1st round pick-projected in the top 10 and 2 second round pick

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Is this draft going to be a strong or weak draft? In between?

theres alot of talent but its not like the last 2 years i would mark it down as in-between theres plenty of talent just gotta be smart with it gotta know who's on their way up potential wise, who wants to work to reach their full potential and who fits you most etc....so i would say in-between leaning strong

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
theres alot of talent but its not like the last 2 years i would mark it down as in-between theres plenty of talent just gotta be smart with it gotta know who's on their way up potential wise, who wants to work to reach their full potential and who fits you most etc....so i would say in-between leaning strong

Cool, then we should definitely trade the 2 second round picks for a late first. We pick up a guard first and then a defensive-minded big man second.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Cool, then we should definitely trade the 2 second round picks for a late first. We pick up a guard first and then a defensive-minded big man second.
It's not that easy man. This is not NBA 2K9. We have Denver's 2nd round pick, which will probably be a low 2nd rd pick seeing as how good they're playing this year. I don't see many takers giving up their 1st rd pick for those late picks especially since this draft may not be that deep with talent.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
It's not that easy man. This is not NBA 2K9. We have Denver's 2nd round pick, which will probably be a low 2nd rd pick seeing as how good they're playing this year. I don't see many takers giving up their 1st rd pick for those late picks especially since this draft may not be that deep with talent.

I see your point of view. But the way I see it these last couple of years have showed me that there's always going to be an abundance of "potentially" good players. Which means that there's going to be less of a drop off in talent between picks. If we do move up it would be because another team sees that their favorite player can be had in the second round.

portega1968

El Cacique
I read that our only pick this year belongs to Utah (who eventually received it as a result of the Marbury trade from Phoenix).

So, I think we are just ****ed this year... no lottery pick for us regardless of where we finish.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
this draft class sux compared to this last years... nd utah only gets the pick if its 23 or higher (probably not gonna happen), butnext year they get our 1st round pick no matter wat :(

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I read that our only pick this year belongs to Utah (who eventually received it as a result of the Marbury trade from Phoenix).

So, I think we are just ****ed this year... no lottery pick for us regardless of where we finish.

This year's pick is lottery protected. So, if we make the playoffs this year, we lose our pick. Next year's pick is unprotected. We do not have a first round pick next year regardless of our record. Mebury sure was worth it, wasn't he?

KBlack25

Starter
This year's pick is lottery protected. So, if we make the playoffs this year, we lose our pick. Next year's pick is unprotected. We do not have a first round pick next year regardless of our record. Mebury sure was worth it, wasn't he?

Not exactly, it's Top-22 protected, so the Knicks can make the playoffs and still keep the pick as long as it's between 1 and 22. If they give up the pick this year they get to keep next years and if they don't give up the pick this year next year's goes automatically.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Not exactly, it's Top-22 protected, so the Knicks can make the playoffs and still keep the pick as long as it's between 1 and 22. If they give up the pick this year they get to keep next years and if they don't give up the pick this year next year's goes automatically.

You're right. Thanks for the correction. I didn't know about giving up this year's pick meant we keep next years. How does that work? We give Utah this years and keep ours next year?

KBlack25

Starter
The way the rules in the NBA work is that you can't give up a pick 2 years in a row, that's why you see so many teams trading the pick on draft day right after they make the pick. In this case it was probably just conditional. The Suns agreed to getting either 2009 or 2010, and agreed to 2009 protected but 2010 unprotected. Knicks weren't willing to give up both picks. What I wonder is if the Knicks finish with the 14th pick, could they give up the pick this year and keep 2010?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Awesome. Got it all.

the 2nd round picks pretty much mean shit all by the sounds of things.

Potentially holding on to the pick we have for the following draft is a nice option to be exercised if necessary. Didn't know that was doable.

Is that unaffected regardless of any other parties though?

It seems a bit dodgy.

Thanks gents.

Also, JayJ44, I like your posts dude. All good. You are the parallel of Metrotard.

Last edited:

JayJ44

Starter
Awesome. Got it all.

the 2nd round picks pretty much mean shit all by the sounds of things.

Potentially holding on to the pick we have for the following draft is a nice option to be exercised if necessary. Didn't know that was doable.

Is that unaffected regardless of any other parties though?

It seems a bit dodgy.

Thanks gents.

Also, JayJ44, I like your posts dude. All good. You are the parallel of Metrotard.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the support. :beer: