Something to get Excited About

Toons

is the Bo$$
GREENBURGH, N.Y. - It didn't take long for Al Harrington to scope out the Knicks' practice routines, not with offensive mastermind Mike D'Antoni running them.

"When I first got here, offense was the first thing we covered," Harrington said after practice yesterday, recalling the immediate aftermath of his Nov. 21 trade to the Knicks. "Now it's defense. So Coach is really locked into it and we are buying into it. If we just keep bringing that type of energy and intensity on the defensive end, we are going to score enough points. So if we can just get some more stops, I think we'll really start racking up some wins."

That's right. It's no longer Mike 'Antoni. The Knicks' coach is focusing a bit more on "D." D'Antoni's defensive game plan against the Celtics - who scored only 35 points in the second half of the Knicks' 100-88 victory Sunday - was a huge reason they earned a big win to feel good about as they embark on a four-game road trip that begins tonight in Oklahoma City.

With D'Antoni's much-publicized "Seven Seconds or Less" philosophy and his reputation as an offensive guru, defense took a back seat at first. But just as Pat Riley did when he transformed his "Showtime" Lakers' schemes into the physical, in-your-face, grinding style that became a staple of the Knicks not long after Riley joined the franchise in 1991, D'Antoni is starting to preach defense a bit more. Remember when he ripped into David Lee for not properly playing a pick-and-roll in the Dec. 26 loss to the Timberwolves?

The Knicks are in the top five in most of the offensive categories. Defense is another story, though. They're yielding 107 points per game - only Golden State (111) is allowing more - and beginning to understand just how much their defense ignites their offense. "If we can't make stops," Wilson Chandler said, "we can't make runs."

Minus a big interior post presence at the moment, the Knicks' lineup always seems to have a small-ball look. But it's also a versatile one, and D'Antoni is slowly figuring out where his players fit best. His tinkering is working.

He put the 6-11 Jared Jeffries on 6-1 point guard Rajon Rondo, allowing for easier switches off Boston's frontcourt players. Chandler, all 6-8 of him, also spent time guarding 6-11 Kevin Garnett.

"I think we can do that with the makeup of our team," D'Antoni said. "We have a lot of lineups out there with four guys more or less 6-8 and above, and all can guard littles and bigs. So it does cause some confusion for the other team on their offensive end. We will do that and we will continue to do that. Sometimes it works and sometimes it won't. But that's definitely a different weapon that we have."

Notes & quotes: Eddy Curry (sore right knee) practiced yesterday for only the second time this season. He could return as soon as Thursday against the Mavericks, but more likely against Yao Ming in Houston on Saturday. He thinks he can add something. "Yeah, just being a presence on the inside and really being a threat out there," he said. "I think our shooters are pretty good and our perimeter 'D' is pretty good. I've just got to try to fill that void on the inside." ... Tim Thomas (sore big toe) practiced and is questionable. Jeffries sat out practice as a precaution after hyperextending his left knee late in Sunday's game but should be available tonight.

Toons

is the Bo$$
Yeah, Eddy Curry and his 5 rebounds and .5 blocks is really going to help.

:barf:

soooooo, ur gonna ignore the entire post and pay attention to the injury update?
the culture of defense is coming into new york.....that is what is there to get excited about.

Knixy

Benchwarmer
No, I know. They have been playing much better D lately. I just can't stomach the thought of Eddy Curry playing again.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
finally we play D......Defense wins games, let alone championships, f we wanna win it all one day its starts on D

Akamu

The King
The Knicks are traditionally a defensive team, that's what we were known more for based on history.

That would be a big statement for Mike D. to re-just what he is best known for. We'll see how it goes.

JayJ44

Starter
This reminds of when Pat Riley came here, after the Lakers. Everyone said he could only run, but he ended up being a good defensive coach here. On the other hand, how could he not be a good defensive coach with that roster. Either way, glad our defense will be up to par.