No exception for Mobley/Knicks

Kiyaman

Legend
The NBA ruled against the Knicks Friday and the club will not receive a $4.5 million disabled player exception for Cuttino Mobley's retirement. It was a blow to Walsh. The NBA ruled Mobley's career-ending injury - hypertrophic cardiomyopathy - occurred before the Nov. 21 trade.

The Knicks medical staff discovered the ailment that past teams had not, but will be penalized nevertheless despite possibly saving Mobley's life.

Walsh coveted the $4.5 disabled player exception because it can be traded for a player or two players totaling $4.5M either before the Feb. 19 trading deadline or this summer. Walsh could have signed a player or players for that amount, but said that wasn't the intention. Walsh won't yet waive Mobley, waiting to see if he can still trade his contract at the deadline since he's in no rush to have an open roster spot. "There's no pressure," Walsh said.

Late-Late Old News

The Mobley (to Knicks) situation was discussed and finalized the week after the trade in so many Knicks and Clippers forums.
There was no-way NBA Stern was going to give the Knicks a disable exception on a player that played in every game this season with the Clippers untill the Knick trade.
Mobley had average over 30 mpg as a Clipper this season plus he had a medical clause in his contract (since the Magic traded him to the Kings) its the same as Eddy Curry contract on "Heart-Condition". After visiting a couple of Clippers Forums in November and reading their veiws on the Knick/Clippers trade it was obvious Donnie Walsh made an "Idiotic" decision right after making a wise decison in the Crawful for Harrington trade.

The conclusion of the Knicks/Clipper trade was worst than two of the Isiah Thomas trades for Tim Thomas and Francis.
Mardy Collins is a 65% better player than Mobley.
Zach Randolph 20-10 stat alone with his attitude is 75% better than Tim Thomas.

Was the Mobley heart-condition a cover-up of Mobley refusing to play for the Joke-Knicks....the Marbury vs Dantoni feud heated-up to the boiling point the night of the Mobley trade....did Mobley best friend Steve Francis hint to him how Knick players get paid all of their contract without playing for the Knicks....did Mobley look at the Knicks franchise the day after the trade as the same old Joke of a Franchise it been in the past 5 years when he picked up the L.A. Times newspaper and seen he was traded to the Knicks whom just traded their top 2 scorers Zach & Crawful....but....the BIG headline in the newspaper the day after the trade was $21M Stephon Marbury refusing to suit up and play for coach Dantoni.

The above was a few things discussed fluently in many Knicks and Clippers Forums when the so-call medical report of heart-condition stop Mobley from playing for the Knicks....the Clippers win/loss record was 2-9 the day of the Mobley trade....Mobley was a Clipper Starter in all 11 games averaging 33 mpg.
If the Knicks/Clipper trade was never done Mobley would still be the Clippers starting SG over rookie Eric Gordon today....that is how the NBA league looks at it....so no medical exception will be given to Walsh for something he already knew in advance before the trade.

Giants89FLY

Rotation player
Am I the only one who finds this ridiculous? They basically SAVE the guys life... Imagine he played with the knicks and god forbid passed away during a game... How awful would that look for the NBA and medical staffs across the league. Everyone associated with the NBA says the same story "We need a winner in new york" Here is a chance for the NBA to throw us a crumb and they slap us in the face... Unreal. I'm glad we found he had heart disease the poor bastard could be dead now...

Kiyaman

Legend
Am I the only one who finds this ridiculous? They basically SAVE the guys life... Imagine he played with the knicks and god forbid passed away during a game... How awful would that look for the NBA and medical staffs across the league. Everyone associated with the NBA says the same story "We need a winner in new york" Here is a chance for the NBA to throw us a crumb and they slap us in the face... Unreal. I'm glad we found he had heart disease the poor bastard could be dead now...

This is funny....LOL
You bought into the writers opinion....which is to get on Walsh good side....thats why I did not put his name on the article. LOL

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
I agree with you Giants, in terms of NBA money the exception wouldn't have been a big deal for the league to give us, instead the moral of the story is that having morals does not pay

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
The one bone I will throw Kiya though in terms of his apparent dislike of Walsh is that I disagree with Walsh feeling no need for an open roster spot. I feel we are always one injury away from the bad times we had not long ago. Heck I even missed Tim Thomas when he had the flu/sore toe, you can't really tell me we couldn't use another serviceable player, and please don't tell me Malik or Roberson are serviceable!

Paul1355

All Star
It is ridiculous....apparently Donnie Walsh knew about Mobley's heart condition, possibly knowing he'd retire and get the money back so the league said NO.

TunerAddict

Starter
More league bias against the knicks.

They always say they want a good team in NY, but they really don't. NY is still the highest grossing team with a shitty team the past few years. Financiallly speaking, its a better plan to keep us in the shitter and let a smaller team, i.e. magic, cleveland, get better. Then they get ppl involved and generate money they couldn't have dreamed of when they sucked. Meanwhile, we still remain a cash cow at the bottom while the league makes money of us and the newly risen "good teams" in medium markets that rely on success for fans.

Toons

is the Bo$$
The one bone I will throw Kiya though in terms of his apparent dislike of Walsh is that I disagree with Walsh feeling no need for an open roster spot. I feel we are always one injury away from the bad times we had not long ago. Heck I even missed Tim Thomas when he had the flu/sore toe, you can't really tell me we couldn't use another serviceable player, and please don't tell me Malik or Roberson are serviceable!

U LISTEN TO FENDA? (8) tough times dont last tough people do (8)

BRAM!!! BRAM!!!

clumsy

Rotation player
More league bias against the knicks.

They always say they want a good team in NY, but they really don't. NY is still the highest grossing team with a shitty team the past few years. Financiallly speaking, its a better plan to keep us in the shitter and let a smaller team, i.e. magic, cleveland, get better. Then they get ppl involved and generate money they couldn't have dreamed of when they sucked. Meanwhile, we still remain a cash cow at the bottom while the league makes money of us and the newly risen "good teams" in medium markets that rely on success for fans.

U serious you been to a knicks game in the last couple of years....it's pretty much 1/2 empty everytime. I was able to sit in the 13th row one of the games (the red sections). We are probably losing money as a franchise. They definitely do want a team in the biggest markets to do well especially during the playoffs.

Axe

Rookie
Is Mobley off our books at the end of this year or next? I know he still had two years on his contract.