So lets rate Donnie Walsh's job so far....

On a Scale from 1 to 10 (10 being the best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.9%

Votes: 3 8.6%

Votes: 20 57.1%

Votes: 5 14.3%

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
http://hoopshype.com/general_managers/donnie_walsh.htm

TRANSACTIONS:
SEASON 2008-09
February 19 2009
Traded guard Anthony Roberson, forward Tim Thomas and center Jerome James to the Chicago Bulls for guard Larry Hughes; traded forward Malik Rose and cash to the Oklahoma City Thunder for forward Chris Wilcox.
November 21 2008
Traded guard Jamal Crawford to the Golden State Warriors for forward Al Harrington; traded guard Mardy Collins and forward Zach Randolph to the Los Angeles Clippers for guard Cuttino Mobley and forward Tim Thomas.
November 7 2008
Named Allan Houston assistant to the president.
October 27 2008
Waived forward Patrick Ewing Jr.
October 23 2008
Exercised the contract options on guard Mardy Collins and forward Wilson Chandler through 2009-10 and waived guards Allan Houston and Dan Grunfeld.
September 25 2008
Signed guards Allan Houston and Dan Grunfeld.
August 29 2008
Traded the draft rights to center Frederic Weis to the Houston Rockets for forward Patrick Ewing Jr.
August 20 2008
Named John Gabriel director of pro scouting and free agency and Misho Ostarcevic director of player personnel.
August 6 2008
Named Kenny Atkinson assistant coach.
July 29 2008
Waived guard Taurean Green and forward Bobby Jones.
July 28 2008
Traded forward Renaldo Balkman and cash considerations to the Denver Nuggets for guard Taurean Green, forward Bobby Jones and a 2010 second-round draft pick.
July 24 2008
Signed guard Anthony Roberson.
July 9 2008
Signed guard Chris Duhon.
July 8 2008
Signed forward Danilo Gallinari.
Draft 2008
Selected forward Danilo Gallinari (6th overall pick).
June 20 2008
Named Phil Weber, Dan D?Antoni and Herb Williams assistant coaches.
May 13 2008
Named Mike D'Antoni head coach.
April 18 2008
Fired head coach Isiah Thomas.

I would say his 2 best moves were firing Isiah and trading Jerome James.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Same here...I see the potential in Gallinari but Brook Lopez has done a good job with the Nets so far.

The Marbury situation could have been handled...If I was Donnie, i would have just bought him out with some kind of a clause in the contract saying that he cant sign with the celtics...ok, an eastern conference team.

Its good to see that bum Roberson gone but why sign that chump in the 1st place?

I think that we should have recieved a 2nd round pick from the Clippers when we traded Zach randolph to them.

Its all small things, nothing big. Overall Donnie has done a good job. Hes shown alot more intelligence and patience with this job then most gm's would and thats one thing I like alot about Donnie. Hes a very patient person. Overall I give him an 8 out of 10

JayJ44

Starter
Yeah, 8 sounds good. I like everything he's done so far, except the whole Marbury thing. Although, I'm not sure who to blame for that.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Yeah, 8 sounds good. I like everything he's done so far, except the whole Marbury thing. Although, I'm not sure who to blame for that.

I think some of the blame has to go to Donnie...but I would blame that more on Mike D'antoni, and the entire Knicks team. That 1st game of the season, when everyone knew that Marbury wasnt going to play...except him, it had to be embarrassing for Starbury. That situation was poorly handled. But when Marbury was asked to play...despite being betrayed by his team, with the money hes gettin payed its his job to go out there and play. But he said that he didnt even have a jersey in his locker. If thats true, I cant place ANY blame on Marbury.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
the Crawford and Z-Bo deals were genius and his latest trades made us more athletic, and better defensively, kudos for those deals.

before the year we were the laughing stock of the NBA, now were in the mix for the playoffs.

Gallo is too early to judge right now, imagine him coming off the bench in 2010 with Nate.......:cool:

JayJ44

Starter
I think some of the blame has to go to Donnie...but I would blame that more on Mike D'antoni, and the entire Knicks team. That 1st game of the season, when everyone knew that Marbury wasnt going to play...except him, it had to be embarrassing for Starbury. That situation was poorly handled. But when Marbury was asked to play...despite being betrayed by his team, with the money hes gettin payed its his job to go out there and play. But he said that he didnt even have a jersey in his locker. If thats true, I cant place ANY blame on Marbury.

I agree. Most of the details differ depending who you ask. But if they weren't planning on playing him, why have him play in pre-season? They should have just bought him out during the summer. I think Dolan must have had something to do with it. He wants Marbury to rot on the bench because the sexual harrassment trial (which he blames entirely on Marbury, somehow).

Bernard_King

Benchwarmer
Big 10 from me as we lost Z-Bo, Crawford and Jerome James contract. Plus we added D'Antoni as a coach with drafted Gallo. Our team in much better shape then with I.Thomas.

LeFlume

All Star
Donnie Walsh have done a great job. I thought it would take him 3-4 years to clean up after Isiah. He have manage to get most of it done in 4 months. That is remarkable. I'm very pleased with how he does things. He got us what we needed. A 2 guard and some size and athleticism. Now let's hope D'Antoni can fit them into the system. Great Work Mr Walsh.

Knicks07

Benchwarmer
i give him a 7 because we got rid of z-bo's contract and jerome james but he couldeve drafted brooke lopez and we couldeve gotten a better deal in the randolph trade, but who cares cause we dnt have anyone from that deal anyways

Bernard_King

Benchwarmer
Thomas left us in a huge hole, Walsh is still trying to dig us out of it. Once again we cleared room for 2010 & 2011 seasons. In a few months we where able to lose Z.Randolph, J.Crawford & J.James contract.

Now the Knicks know that Gallo needs to work in the off-season to get bigger and stronger to play PF, but he is young and these next two seasons will be huge for him. In three years he going to be a very good big body 6'11' who can run and shoot.

I like what Walsh has done so far, we added Harrington, Houghes and Wilcox into the fold. All three have the ability to excell in D'Antoni offense. Let's see what happens in the offseason now.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I gave him an 8!

If someone were to tell Knick fans that Donnie Walsh would rid us of Zach Randolph, Jamal Crawford, and Jerome James' contracts without taking on any long term deals all in while keeping us competitive. We wouldve all laughed our ass off!

We wouldve equally had laughed if someone said that Dantoni's next destination would be The New York Knicks!

Donnie has made some nice moves thus far

I think he shouldve been on the same page with Dantoni about Steph from jump. If Mike really never wanted to play him than Donnie shouldve known that, but, that could be more of the coach's fault.

Now will allowing his coach to make the pick in draft come back to haunt him? Remember a few years back he wanted to draft Prince, his coach wanted Fred Jones and he sided w/ his coach, and we all know how well that worked.

If/When Danillo comes on I will raise the grade to a 9

Still Donnie has shown poise in his decsion making and I'm happy thus far.

He has cleaned up some big mistakes left by Isiah. And we never wouldve thought that was possible for any GM to do this time last year!

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I gave Donnie Walsh a 7.

Positives:
-The Chris Wilcox and Larry Hughes trades were good, since the Knicks didn't really have to give up anything to get those guys.
-The Chris Duhon signing worked out well, although I'm not sure if he'll be able to play like this next year.
-Walsh has done trades to free up space for 2010.

Negatives:
-The drafting of Danilo Gallinari was stupid, considering Brook Lopez was available. Gallinari is clearly a 2-5 year work in progress. He could potentially even be a waste of a pick. Brook Lopez proved he was NBA ready, from day 1.
-The Zach Randolph and Jamal Crawford trades were stupid, because the Knicks could have gotten more out of both of those deals. Both Crawford and Randolph averaged 20 points per game, prior to those trades, yet the Knicks received no draft picks, and the players they received in return are not as good as the players that were given up. Plus, the team was 6-5, prior to the trades.

JayJ44

Starter
I gave Donnie Walsh a 7.

Positives:
-The Chris Wilcox and Larry Hughes trades were good, since the Knicks didn't really have to give up anything to get those guys.
-The Chris Duhon signing worked out well, although I'm not sure if he'll be able to play like this next year.
-Walsh has done trades to free up space for 2010.

Negatives:
-The drafting of Danilo Gallinari was stupid, considering Brook Lopez was available. Gallinari is clearly a 2-5 year work in progress. He could potentially even be a waste of a pick. Brook Lopez proved he was NBA ready, from day 1.
-The Zach Randolph and Jamal Crawford trades were stupid, because the Knicks could have gotten more out of both of those deals. Both Crawford and Randolph averaged 20 points per game, prior to those trades, yet the Knicks received no draft picks, and the players they received in return are not as good as the players that were given up. Plus, the team was 6-5, prior to the trades.

I wouldn't say Gallo is a 2 year project. He's barely played this season, give him a chance to play consistent minutes. If he plays 20-30 minutes next season, I think he can average 10-15 PPG, 5 RPG, 6 APG. He's a smart, talented player who fits this system well. Brook Lopez is playing well, but there will be other prospects at the center position.

The Crawford trade was great. Crawford was chucker and he didn't play defense. Harrington puts up bad shots too, but he's a much better defender and rebounder. That was a good trade for us.

We were lucky to get rid of Zach's contract. He is getting paid 17 million in 2010, that's ridiculous. During the summer, the best offer we got for him was Z-Bo and our 1st rounder for a 2nd round pick, and some thought we should have taken it. We should be happy we didn't have to give up our 1st round pick.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
i gave him an 8. really the only major thing i was dissapointed with was the marbury situation. getting rid of crawford, randolph was sweet enough, but then to somehow get rid of jerome james? amazing lol. good job hiring d'antoni to. for real hes done a nice job, instilling a little hope for now, while giving us a solid vision for the future. one little thing that doesnt affect the score is that i think we could have showcased randolph a little more. imo i cuda seen the bulls be propelled to offer hughes and tyrus thomas for randolph. but whats done is done, and for the most part im a donnie walsh believer.

Kiyaman

Legend
Donnie Walsh finally did something worth while and meaningful for this Knick Organization in this February deadline....Trading Anthony Roberson, Jerome James, and Malik.....for C-Wilcox and SG-Hughes.
Before that Donnie sold a Dream.....

My Grade for Donnie Walsh February Deadline trade

WTF.....I gave Idiot Donnie Walsh a BIG B+
for getting big Jerome James up off our bench
and showing-face that Anthony was a bad signing
plus adding two veteran role-players that performs
at the empty positions (SG & C) we been needing for way to long.

Wilcox or Hughes.....one of these players will add the lift
the Knicks will need to slide into the 6th seed in the Playoffs.
Defense=Hughes, Jefferies, and Wilcox

All of u members that are 2010-Fans or Tank-Fans for a draft pick
Walsh did not let u down.....the 15 worst teams in the league let u down
Oh yeah....my three homies who play above the rim B-Ball let u down too
Nate - Lee - Chandler