T-Mac for hughes + mobley's contract

richtree

Rotation player
One trade possibility has Tracy McGrady landing in New York in exchange for Larry Hughes and Cuttino Mobley's expiring contract.

There has been some discontentment in Houston over McGrady's performance and injuries in recent seasons. McGrady may benefit under Mike D'Antoni's kind of system in New York. At this point a trade of this magnitude is purely speculative, but worth keeping an eye on.

From NEWSDAYhttp://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/2009/06/tmac_attack.html

richtree

Rotation player
This may be a good idea with McGrady and a strong draft pick:

We could lose Nate Robinson and move forward.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
What's the point if we can't get rid of either Jeffries or Curry? T-Mac will miss the first 1/3 of next season due to his injury and Hughes and Mobley's contract expire next year. It doesn't save us money and we still don't have a SG.

dre48ny

Rotation player
It would be a dream come true if he could get traded for Eddy Curry. Curry can back up Yao. Probably woldn't happen. That's wishful thinking.

the only way i trade for tmac is if we can dump a curry or jeffries and the only reason i do that is if we do dump one of them then we can go after josh smith....

curry/holiday/flynn/evens/rubio
tmac
harrington... gallinari
smith
lee

tradable pieces
duhon(both teams could use a backup pg)
chandler(most appealing)
jeffries (might be able to package him for smith with chandler)
nate (might fit nicely for houston)
qrich
curry(possible offensive backup for yao)
hughes
sene
harrington(possible to pacakge with a curry or jeffries)
mobley's contract

i like a jeffries and mobleys contract and maybe duhon for smith and a throw in like acie law... chandler can be substituted here for duhon or mobley

and then a nate curry package for tmac.... hughes qrich or harrington can be used here instead or in addition to nate

this will give us a very talented talented team for next year.... the dumping of salaries on our side is justified by atlanta saving money long term and houston getting rid of a constantly injured headache in tmac... we can take the risk since we have nothing to lose... if hes healthy we make the playoffs... if not we lose him b4 2010 and have the space to go after stars while still having a young talented team

the portable man

Benchwarmer
tmac is and was always overrated, now he;s the new injured penny hardaway

i dont think the knicks are this dumb to pull this off, cuz hughes fg% is pretty much the same but hughes is a 10x better defender, so no need for tmac even tho they both suck ass

we need to get raja bell and antwan jamison somehow

Last edited:
see your missing the point.... the only way we take tmac is if we dump a salary and provide a talent that will not be around for us anyway.... hughes is not a long term player ... he is more or less a stop gap.... nate will be gone as well....
if we make this deal it is not for the talent of tmac it is rather to unload a player like curry and free up some roster spots for possible draftees...
if we unload a nate or a hughes then i think we can get a key role player like an ellington in the draft to fill their spot as well as dump the dead wright in curry... meanwhile rockets get an every day sg in hughes or a scorer and spark in nate... as well as a offensive bigman off the bench in curry
or a defensive bigman in jeffries offthe bench it works for both sides

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
see your missing the point.... the only way we take tmac is if we dump a salary and provide a talent that will not be around for us anyway.... hughes is not a long term player ... he is more or less a stop gap.... nate will be gone as well....
if we make this deal it is not for the talent of tmac it is rather to unload a player like curry and free up some roster spots for possible draftees...
if we unload a nate or a hughes then i think we can get a key role player like an ellington in the draft to fill their spot as well as dump the dead wright in curry... meanwhile rockets get an every day sg in hughes or a scorer and spark in nate... as well as a offensive bigman off the bench in curry
or a defensive bigman in jeffries offthe bench it works for both sides

Cosign

I would not go for T-Mac unless we get rid of E Curry in the process. Why give them 2 nice trading chips for a guy that will only play 40-50 games here (if that) and then be gone.

KBlack25

Starter
Cosign

I would not go for T-Mac unless we get rid of E Curry in the process. Why give them 2 nice trading chips for a guy that will only play 40-50 games here (if that) and then be gone.

But what if he's not gone? Think about it this way:

If the Knicks get TMac they will be able to resign him no matter what over the cap...

Now, what if the Knicks' pitch to LeBron was: Rubio as your PG, TMac as your 2nd Fiddle, you be the centerpiece...

That team doesn't look too bad if (IF) TMac can decide to stay healthy, and maybe having a player likely better than anyone LBJ has played with as the second option on a team, with a decent pointguard. Doesn't seem too bad...

Maybe they could use TMac as a legit 2nd option to pull a superstar in 2010...

Or maybe not...

that is not a bad tandem.... tmac is a shooter so he can fit .... think of him as a way more talented rashard lewis yet less healthy
we can keep him or not that is up to walsh's discretion however the only way we can make an attempt for lbj is if we dump jj or curry in the process

i really think we can dump both curry to houston and jj to atlanta and land both tmac and smith

if lbj ever had a great situation to walk into itd be one with smith at pf a healthy tmac at sg and him at sf... that lineup presents matchup problems all over the place

if we get hill which i hope not we can include either hill or lee in these deals seeing as we cant use both and if we grab a curry rubio flynn evens or holiday then your lineup looks even way better because now you have a pg to destribute the ball btwn the 3 stars as well as hit the open jumper

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i see no risk in this, tmac in his last year of his contract, playin for another contract, do this trade wit no hesitation

dpryde

Benchwarmer
i dont understand why some people assume we cud get rid of curry or jeffries in this deal. the rockets wont be idiots to trade away an expiring contract and then recieve fatso or the giraffe. the original deal of tmac for hughes and mobley is a low risk high reward type deal. what are we really losing in that deal? absolutely nothing, getting rid of hughes is actually a plus. and we would be gaining an ex-all star who even at 50% is more useful than some of the bums we have on our team. the only negative about this deal is that he basically is another SG/SF so he cud slightly clog the development of gallo(still has a high peak to reach) or chandler(almost at his peak). but if i was donnie and the rockets were willing to pull off the deal id say yes.

and for the record tmac is one of the most underachieving superstars of all time. with his height, ability to handle the ball, beautiful shot, speed, strength he should have been one of the greats. unfortunetely injuries and him being on bad teams didnt allow him to realize his full potential but hes still one damn good player (well i hope he still is lol). kevin durant is t-mac like, so i really hope and believe that kevin durant will be what tmac cudnt but should have.

you do lose something in that deal... the very valuable mobley contract
that contract can pretty much put us over the top for any deal with a team that is looking to cut salary... i would rather use that contract on more of a guarentee or at least someone that will play for us
why dump it for a guy that will miss a shit load of the season....
you could use it to grab a josh smith ... or maybe get another draft pick or a higher draft pick or a future draft pick or something that would benefit us rather than a guy that has been a burden to his team
while hughes is nothing for us and tmac has a slight chance to turn into something i mobley is a huge cost cutter and i would rather utilize that a little bit better

T-Mac

Rookie
for everyone saying tmac was always overrated, i ask you what you are smoking. the guy use to be as good in 2001-2004 then kobe is now (speaking in terms of raw talent) the guy is very athletic, and can score with the best of em. this would be great for the knicks because they would have a solid season this year and would be able to sign someone else next year. tmac would give them that primary scorer and go to guy. now obviously the current injury and the history of injuries are a drawback, theres a good chance he will comeback strong this year since its a contract year and in a recent interview i heard he was determined to get back to the player he once was. the guy just turned 30, hes still go some all star years a head of him and im sure he would help out any team hes on this year. so for me: i pull the trigger and trade for tmac asap.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Mobley's contrat

Our immediate goal is to get the best possible pick in the draft. This is likely to require trading up before the draft or, more likely, trading for draft rights after the draft when sign and trades with Lee and/or Nate are added to our trade assets. As a result, we might not know who our new rookie will be until July or thereafter.

In the meantime, Mobley's contract is an important chip. Lets see what we have left in "assets" after the draft is truly finalized before we give up Mobley's contract. Talk about T-Mac can wait.