Knicks Extend Qualifying Offers To Lee, Nate

metrocard

Legend
Knicks Extend Qualifying Offers To Lee, Nate

Jun 24, 2009 6:52 AM EST
The Knicks extended qualifying offers to both David Lee and Nate Robinson last week.

The move, which was expected, makes both players restricted free agents this summer.

New York now has the right to match any offer that Lee or Robinson receives on the free-agent market.

If they don't sign with another club, or come to terms with the Knicks on a long-term deal, the players could accept the qualifying offer and become unrestricted free agents next summer.

Lee's qualifying offer is worth $2.7 million, while Robinson's stands as $2.9 million.

"I think they want to keep him very badly, but they've got different dynamics they have to deal with, their plans for 2010 and all that," agent Mark Bartelstein said of Lee. "We just have to see if it's doable."

Do we move on from these two? Seriously? Are they worth the investment?

ANU

Starter
nate is a gimmick.he should have been shipped to the kings.donnie dropped the ball on that one.lee is a different story.but good god, can he learn how to play some gadam defense?!

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Lee/Nate

How badly does Lee or does Nate want to stay in New York?

Would either possibly be willing to take the qualifying offer and be unrestricted in 2010? It would cost them perhaps as much as $5M for next year, an amount which neither would likely fully recover in the long term contract that would follow unretricted free agent status. But at $2.7M and $2.9M for the year, neither would be starving and there are other financial opportunities in New York that do not exist in places like Memphis. It is risky, injuries etc., but perhaps insurance could provide some protection. Isn't this what Ben Gordon did?

If Lee, for example, took the qualifying offer for the 2009-10 season he would join the group of 2010-11 unrestricted free agents and be in the mix to be signed by the Knicks or some other team that he could choose. Same with respect to Nate. It is always difficult, however, to refuse to take the bird in hand

Scribbles

Rotation player
Not happening.

With the amount of talented FA next summer, that's going to subtract their asking price.

And they are both coming off a great season.

Plus, 2.9 mill ain't shit when you have mortgages, traveling expenses, and all the other bullshit bills you have to pay.

JayJ44

Starter
I say we trade them. I don't think they're worth the money. Nate is just a scorer off the bench, and I heard D'antoni hates him. If he comes for cheap keep him, otherwise try to trade him.

As for Lee, I think he's overrated. He's really the only rebounder we have, so his rebounding stats are inflated. He's one dimensional offensively, he can't create his own shot. All of his offense comes from the pick and roll. Try to trade him now while his value is high.