Lee sign and trade for Rubio?

JayJ44

Starter
It looks like OKC might draft Rubio, then trade him to us in a sign and trade with Lee.

Another rumor that is making the rounds is that Oklahoma City may be working on a deal with the New York Knicks that would involve drafting Rubio and then shipping him to the Knicks in July in a sign and trade for David Lee. The tricky part would be coming to terms with Lee on an appropriate contract figure before the pick is made, since technically they are not allowed to negotiate, and Lee likely does not yet know what his true value on the open market. He is reportedly looking for around 11 million dollars a year.

Still, considering his restricted status, and the fact that there are precious few teams with substantial cap space this summer, Oklahoma City could be a very attractive destination for Lee if his agent can reach a handshake agreement with their front office. It seems like the Thunder definitely have eyes for him. The only question is whether they are willing to part with Rubio to make that happen.

In this scenario, the Knicks would likely select Mike D?Antoni?s favorite, Jordan Hill, with the #8 pick. More on that later.
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Word-on-the-Street-June-24th-The-Latest-3283

That seems to good to be true. Would OKC really waste their 3rd overall pick on David Lee straight up? In this scenario, we could have Rubio + whoever we get at 8th. If they agree to it, I'm all for it. Givony thinks we would take Hill in this situation.

PG- Rubio
SG- Hughes?
SF- Gallinari
PF- Chandler, Harrington?
C- Hill

Not bad.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
This would be amazing...I would do it even if we had to give up the 8th pick. Getting 2 would be insane. Make it happen Donnie!

dave2138

Rotation player
where do these rumors come from..1st the hughes + #8 for the #5 rumor now Lee for Rubio..

These would be amazing trades, but I can't see other teams just bending over to make the knicks a better team.

Is thought Memphis is still the favorite to draft and trade Rubio.. Thabeet doesn't make any more sense than Rubio does for that team. Gasol/Thabeet at PF is a disaster.

JayJ44

Starter
where do these rumors come from..1st the hughes + #8 for the #5 rumor now Lee for Rubio..

These would be amazing trades, but I can't see other teams just bending over to make the knicks a better team.

Is thought Memphis is still the favorite to draft and trade Rubio.. Thabeet doesn't make any more sense than Rubio does for that team. Gasol/Thabeet at PF is a disaster.

Actually, it's pretty much a given that Memphis will draft Thabeet. The owner, I forget his name, really likes him. Plus, if they draft Rubio with the intention of trading him, that puts pressure on their organization. Say they draft him, and Rubio stays in Spain, and refuses to play for the Grizzlies. The Grizzlies lose any leverage in a trade, because they're pretty much forced to trade him. If the Grizzlies draft Rubio, it's pretty much a wasted pick.

dave2138

Rotation player
Yeah, but didn't Thabeet skip a workout with them and they said the reason was because he didn't want to play there.

I think they are crazy if they don't pick Rubio..what would you rather have: Rubio for 4 guaranteed years or Conley jr. for 2?

You're right though I just googled Memphis and Thabeet and got a couple sites saying they are a lock to pick him..we'll see I guess. I think thats retarded if Memphis doesn't pick Rubio for the reason because he doesn't like them.

JayJ44

Starter
Yeah, but didn't Thabeet skip a workout with them and they said the reason was because he didn't want to play there.

I think they are crazy if they don't pick Rubio..what would you rather have: Rubio for 4 guaranteed years or Conley jr. for 2?

You're right though I just googled Memphis and Thabeet and got a couple sites saying they are a lock to pick him..we'll see I guess. I think thats retarded if Memphis doesn't pick Rubio for the reason because he doesn't like them.

No, he hurt his shoulder. He was actually saying how he's happy to play for any team.

Rubio will never play a minute in a Grizzlies jersey. It's just not gonna happen. I think it's best for them just to stay away, they NEED to get this draft right. If they pick Rubio, and he stays in Spain, that franchise is pretty much screwed.

iSaYughh

Starter
It does seem too good to be true, but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy, not unlike what I'd imagine a total-body blowjob to feel like....

A future of Rubio, Gallo, Chandler, Hill...sign Gortat....goddamn....running around in our offense....I like the look of the potential for some dynamic D, too.....to say nothing of '10 and '11 FA classes....we'd be one stud away from a powerhouse of youth and ballers....so sick of mediocrity --> :makeitso

dave2138

Rotation player
yeah good point..There is no way he goes back to Spain though with all the drama thats been going on. He'll just be pissed for 4 years until hes a FA.

Damn that would be the youngest starting 5 in the league if they got Rubio + Hill + Gortat. Gortat would be the oldest at 25.

If OK won't trade Rubio, but they are still interested in Lee..what about Lee for Jeff Green + Earl Watson.

dave2138

Rotation player
Thabeet hurt his shoulder right...would be funny if the safe pick backfired on the grizzlies and Thabeet decided he'd rather play in Africa than play in Memphis.

JayJ44

Starter
If OKC picks Rubio....they'll most likely trade him. I don't think they want to move Westbrook to SG. Plus, Rubio might not want to go to OKC either, although he has a much better chance of playing there than Memphis.

We need to get this deal with OKC done. Rubio, Hill, and Gallinari would be a great young core.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I don't know. This sounds like bullspit to me. I like it but this is pure speculation and takes a lot of pre-agreements made before they're even permitted to discuss anything.

I'm starting to get tired of these rumors. They keep getting my hopes up only to be eventually let down.

By the way, the T-Wolves might throw this whole plan down the crapper. They want Rubio too and have the most assets and leverage.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
If everything goes as the rumors have predicted...

Possible 2009 lineup...

PG-Rubio
SG-Chase Budinger (from the 28th pick purchased from T-Wolves)
SF-Gallinari
PF-Hill
C-Darko

...could be fun to watch.

smokes

Huge Member
I think this is a decent enough trade for both teams. OKC got a good 1-2-3 but lack bigs especially one who can put up some solid points.

The only thing that bothers me is what they said about Lee's value. $11 million per? Gotta be kidding me. No way anyone is gonna offer Lee that amount with the crop of FA talent available next season. There's precious few teams who will even have 11 mill free during free agency and to waste it on a guy like Lee is a joke.

Still, damn hope this trade goes through. Rubio + 8th = 2009/10 season is watchable!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah. OKC could use some big guys and David Lee is more than adequate offensively to fill that hole. Whereas the Knicks need a guard BADLY, so...yeah.

NYKnicks15

Starter
hey guys, this story has more reality to it then most "rumors" but it is not a definite. With OKC cap space it is realistic in the financial reality and makes sense for both teams sadly.. a team with David Lee, Kevin Durant, Jeff Green and Russell Westbrook will be BEAST for years and years. then if they still pull off a deal for Tyson Chandler they could be unstoppable even more so if they snab Ben Gordon as rumored.. ANYWAY..

the most true part of this story IS that the knicks will select Jordan Hill at number 8. with Minnesota making the trade they will get their new backcourt in Evans and Curry while this will allow the knicks to grab who they wanted all along or D'antoni atleast JORDAN HILL.

Amare like athleticism, size, and potential to be good on the block. but just like Amare he is raw. has a good jumper. hell def be a fan favorite and hate to say it.. but a upgrade from David Lee.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah, it's a deal that makes sense for them. OKC wants a big man and we want a point guard. If we get the #3 pick, we're pretty much guaranteed Ricky Rubio since Memphis seems to want Hasheem Thabeet and Thabeet, unlike Rubio, doesn't have any reservations about playing in Memphis. This draft isn't really a good one for big men as taking Jordan Hill with the #3 pick is pretty much a waste so I'd say it'd be a better move for OKC to get a proven offensive player like David Lee since they have the cap space and we'd get Ricky Rubio. Deal makes sense, problem is OKC might want some more out of us than David Lee to give up that #3 pick.

And even if it doesn't happen we can still pick up Jordan Hill like you said, he's got size, athleticism, a good shot, plus he plays defense so that help us out a bunch. The way I see it:

One out of Evans, Rubio, Curry, or Hill is going to be available with the 8th pick. I'd say if Rubio does somehow miraculously fall to #8 the Knicks should pick him, but if not Jordan Hill is an excellent pick as well. I'd say Rubio > Hill > Curry > Evans is probably what's going through Walsh's mind right now but hell if I know.

One issue is the Warriors might pick Jordan Hill with the #7 pick. If OKC picks James Harden, Kings take Rubio, Wolves take Curry and Evans, and the Warriors pick Jordan Hill, whom do we draft then?

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
NYKnicks15...I would stay from any Arizona bigman....we dont need to draft Channing Frye 2.0.

Not saying Hill plays like Frye's softass...Hill to me is a guy who won't produce a lot. Amare is a freak, while Hill is a good athlete for his size.

I don't see the difference between Tai Gibson and Jordan Hill...Gibson could actually be the better of the two and we have a chance at him with our 28th pick.

Paul1355

All Star
If everything goes as the rumors have predicted...

Possible 2009 lineup...

PG-Rubio
SG-Chase Budinger (from the 28th pick purchased from T-Wolves)
SF-Gallinari
PF-Hill
C-Darko

...could be fun to watch.
i didnt hear us getting that pick...only news is that we offered to get the griz's 27th pick for 3 million and they denied it....the t wolves are shopping the 28th but i think they still have it.....correct me if im wrong.

portega1968

El Cacique
it's almost impossible to trade Lee for Rubio... Knicks would have to talk to Lee now to know if he's willing to accept their $$$offer and go to Memphis... but Knicks cant start talking until July

LJ4ptplay

Starter
i didnt hear us getting that pick...only news is that we offered to get the griz's 27th pick for 3 million and they denied it....the t wolves are shopping the 28th but i think they still have it.....correct me if im wrong.

You're correct. I was speculationg based on all the rumors at the time.