The Grant Hill thread

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spknix0712948040jul06,0,4801487.story

I'll sum it up quickly. Grant Hill says he's very serious about coming to the Knicks. According to the article, D'Antoni sees him as playing the 2 in the backcourt with Chris Duhon, a fellow Dookie.

The Knicks plan to use the bi-annual exception on Grant (since we have Jordan Hill, I'll use Grant). That's not a lot of money for them, doesn't really eat into the 2010 salary cap, and it can't hurt to have a guy like Grant Hill who's a great guy on and off the court. He'd bring veteran leadership to this team, something we could use. He can play the point and has basketball IQ. He'd help lure in other free agents, being a pretty big name guy who was once considered to be the next up and coming star of the league (seriously I think he would've had a career close to that of Kobe's if he never got injured and actually got himself onto a decent team).

It's true he's injury prone, but he's an extremely versatile presence for us and can fill a lot of gaps. He adds versatility; he would allow Walsh to get rid of one of our SFs in the event that a good trade opportunity comes up. If Walsh chooses to keep both of them, he'd be a solid presence off the Bench, or he could start if Walsh wants to use Danilo in a bench role.

In any case he'd be a great pickup for us being that he's a solid player, a good guy to have on your team (by all accounts and everything I've read he's a model citizen and just an upstanding awesome guy) and most importantly he doesn't really eat into the plans for 2010.

Please, Donnie, make it happen somehow...

johnstarky

Rotation player
I wouldn't mind Donnie bringing in another Herb Williams like presence to the Knicks.Even though Mr.Hill has been in the league for over 50 years he'd be a stellar addition if we could get him for a small amount of cash.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I think Grant Hill would be good for the team. Defends well, can play the 2 or the 3, and a good veteran presence for the younger guys.

moneyg

Starter
g hill would be a nice pickup. he can play the 1-3. has point guard skills.. good passer.. and shot like 52% last year. i would give him 3 mil this year with a team option for next year.. dont think other teams will go that high for him...

dave2138

Rotation player
Whose minutes does he take away from though? If him being on the team takes minutes from Gallinari/Chandler then its a bad deal. If he is willing to take a reduced role 20-25 minutes/game and take minutes from Hughes and Harrington then I would have no problem with it. Its just an odd move for a team not looking to contend to sign a 37 year old player at a position they have an excess of.

moneyg

Starter
he will take minutes from hughes hopefully. ghill is poised and can be someone to count on in the last minutes of the game.. an area where we have lacked in,

dave2138

Rotation player
don't be annoyed..be happy! The knicks will draft John Wall with the 45th pick in the 2nd round next year :)

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Well if he's looking beyond his career with the preference of broadcaster etc., he shouuld def come to NY. If he wants a ring, he won't. Time'll tell.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah, I think his versatility is one reason they have him. He can play the 3 in the event Danilo goes down, and he can play the 2 and take minutes away from Larry Hughes. He'll get you 20-30 minutes a game and he'll do it at any position. In any case he's not going to cost more than the bi-annual exception so it's not going to hurt our salary cap if he does come, and his veteran and all-around awesome clubhouse presence is going to help us out. I like the move.

Red

TYPE-A
Noooo! An example of yet another potential signing, dangled in front of Knick fans STARVED for change. To some Anything is better than nothing. I laugh at this and the whole off season. It was we Need Curry then Rubio then Jennings then possibly TMac, then Kidd and remember Nash!?! Its puzzling that over-hyped fandum has led to inaccurate assesments of what to expect. Has Donnie not showed the following: Getting rid of dead weight? Signing stop gap players? A liking and value for Chandler and Gallo? I mean he thought what we all thought "we can lose with cheaper players so why overpay"? He knows we aren't improving with these proposed acquisitions. But what will improve is our culture and our cap flexability first. Don't make matters worse by putting all your eggs into a star player that will criple the franchise for more years when that was already tried and failed? Bottom line is we will not trade anyone unless we end up winning out (in the deal) and we will not acquire anyone who will hinder getting a max contract or isn't part of our long term plan. WE MIND AS WELL WAIT FOR 2010 WHEN WE WILL ACTUALLY HAVE LEVERAGE! This is the lesson I have learned and the pattern established... get a clue you impatient dreamers!

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
Yeah, I think his versatility is one reason they have him. He can play the 3 in the event Danilo goes down, and he can play the 2 and take minutes away from Larry Hughes. He'll get you 20-30 minutes a game and he'll do it at any position. In any case he's not going to cost more than the bi-annual exception so it's not going to hurt our salary cap if he does come, and his veteran and all-around awesome clubhouse presence is going to help us out. I like the move.
In baketball it is called locker room prescence... Clubhouse is baseball. lol

dave2138

Rotation player
Noooo! An example of yet another potential signing, dangled in front of Knick fans STARVED for change. To some Anything is better than nothing. I laugh at this and the whole off season. It was we Need Curry then Rubio then Jennings then possibly TMac, then Kidd and remember Nash!?! Its puzzling that over-hyped fandum has led to inaccurate assesments of what to expect. Has Donnie not showed the following: Getting rid of dead weight? Signing stop gap players? A liking and value for Chandler and Gallo? I mean he thought what we all thought "we can lose with cheaper players so why overpay"? He knows we aren't improving with these proposed acquisitions. But what will improve is our culture and our cap flexability first. Don't make matters worse by putting all your eggs into a star player that will criple the franchise for more years when that was already tried and failed? Bottom line is we will not trade anyone unless we end up winning out (in the deal) and we will not acquire anyone who will hinder getting a max contract or isn't part of our long term plan. WE MIND AS WELL WAIT FOR 2010 WHEN WE WILL ACTUALLY HAVE LEVERAGE! This is the lesson I have learned and the pattern established... get a clue you impatient dreamers!

:agreed: .

portega1968

El Cacique
Grant Hill's arrival tells me two things:

1. Wilson Chandler in on the block to help get rid of Curry and/or Jeffries

2. Danilo will have a good mentor.

I welcome his arrival big time cause he will have a very positive influence on our team

New New York

Quiet Storm
Grant Hill's arrival tells me two things:

1. Wilson Chandler in on the block to help get rid of Curry and/or Jeffries

2. Danilo will have a good mentor.

I welcome his arrival big time cause he will have a very positive influence on our team

I assume Donnie has to have a deal in place if he is considering Grant, and like you said it must be for Wilson considering no one is trading for Danillo and his bad back.

With that said, We need to be looking to add players off of the strength of on court ability.

Malik Rose was as good a "locker room presence" as there is, Vin Baker was another such player. The Knicks need talent.

Plus what is in this for Hill? From what I am hearing the deal is only for one year, so why join a rebuilding situation this late in your career just to have them not pick you up later?

Plus as much as we all gave grief to Marbaury about not never making it out of the first round, the same can be said for Grant Hill. So how much locker room respect will he really have?

But, if this is to add a player to replace Wilson in the event he is added to a deal to get Curry or Jefferies off the books, then I do like it. If not it is just us using the MLE for the sake of using it.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
America is on Crack!

First everyone cries for Michael Jackson now the posters and bloggers, some of the most die hard 'knowledgeable' fans think Grant Hill will actually help this team. WTF! Knicks Online, have you lost your damn mind!!!

How old is this guy, 38? D'Antoni is full of shit. Stop talking Grant up like this is 1999. I swear when I read Knicks were coveting Hill I thought they meant Jordan Hill. LOL.

I'm considering rooting for the Bobcats, this is bullshit. This is exactly why I didn't want D'Antoni to coach the Knicks. We've got one man that plays D on this team and that's Wilson Chanlder. Maybe from time t time we've got Jeffries trying to do something but that's it. Now I read D'Antoni is talking up G Hill like this is what we need to make a playoff push.